How to not get lost...

Theres no such thing as a black belt move. Every move can be perfomed by any level athlete. There are some submissions allowed for upper belts only in competitions but thats for safety (serious injury risk), its not because white belts will not be good enough to do it.
What can help you is to idealize your objectives during a grappling match. For example, the guy on top should be always trying to pass the guard for two reasos: its easier to submit when you opponent cant use legs to defend and because a simple pass means score! the guy on the bottom should be trying sweeps or subs and defending the pass at all time, sweeps if his game is to submit from top and if his game is a bottom game there are several submissions from there.. When you realize your goals you will see what i call a 'little win', that is a step towards your goal, that beign freeing one leg into half guard, or a submission attempt.. you dont need to know every move from the begining, stay on basics, improve your positions and with the time you will see when you can use techniques learnt...

Lack of structure has been a long-standing complaint about the way BJJ is taught. In the past, guys just kept showing up and accumulating mat time until they absorbed the basics. However, this is inefficient, and if you are only getting real lessons once a week, it's going to be a long, hard road.

The truth is, if you want to improve faster, you have to do your "homework." That's what black belt phenoms Caio Terra and Rafael Lovato Jr. call it. In other words, you have to study and drill on your own time, beyond your regular classes. Just like if you were studying a subject in school.

There are so many good learning resources available now. Books, videos, websites. Thread starter, a good place for you to start is to download and review Stephan Kesting's e-book Roadmap for Brazilian Jiu-jitsu. It's free, concise, and very informative.

Caio earned his black belt in only 3 years, training full time and doing his "homework." He likes to say that if he had the resources that people do now, he would have done it even faster. That's an extreme example, but it just goes to show you the value and effectiveness in serious study, as opposed to casual training.

I think we're pretty golden when we at my gym have a weekly theme.

Figured id ask this question here, in this thread instead of creating a new one.

Since a mma fight is years away training wise(i just want one amateur fight) I was hoping i could get some advice on bjj training time.

Seeing as all the good mma schools out there in my city closed up, im doing a traditional art. Its a good art, a mix of standing grappling and strikes and locks.(hint i talked about it in the ninja thread. Budo Taijutsu)

Since starting this art i find i enjoy it thoroughly. Problem is, as i said in the ninja thread, it does have lot of unanswered questions regarding ground situations. That and my own desire to continue developing my infantile ground skills that i picked up from my mma time.

My question is, how can i divide up my training time. My bbt class is 2.5 hours 3 days a week with one of those a sparring day. I can at most devote 2 days a week to bjj. Will that be enough to continue my development? What is the minimum amount of grappling needed for a TMA'ist to survive a street encounter and what is the minimum for a Debut amateur fight? Im assuming a blue belt or around there abouts but id like some feed back.

I know that with only 2 days (2 hours a time though) in bjj will make any progression slow, but ill still have progression right?

Basically if a Traditional martial artist(or sport TMA, there is a difference) came up to you and asked how much they would need for a good shot at survival on the street and in a ammy fight, what would you say to them for both those situations?

Thanks guys, i appreciate your feed back.

I know eventually ill need to get to 3 days a week or better, but right now, i cant because my wife needs to do her work outs on certain days and i have to stay home with my ASD son.

For BJJ, I think 2 classes per week (including 30 minutes of sparring per class) is a good start.

You will have to add one open mat (which is just 90 minutes of sparring and/or drilling) per week later on.

Will your BJJ skills get you ready for the streets? just ask a team mate to put some gloves on and punch on the face and see how you do.

If you want to train and fight MMA, you will need to train in a club that compete in MMA.

Some BJJ clubs do train MMA fighters but it is not the norms. How long will take you to be able to take your first fight? it depends with your coach, first you make the fighters sparring classes (which are ofter separate from beginners for good reason), see if you like getting punched in the face.

Then they will get you a match.

Well im not a total newb to mma. I have had about a year and a half in mma. Including lots of sparring. I came from boxing into mma. Problem is, i end up finding a good gym then they end up closing after a few months... So for me i don't panic in a striking situation. Thankfully my new art has a once a week sparring class.

Thank you for your advice regarding training time. Your correct ill need a open mat at some point.

you gonna have to find a new club asap if mma is your goal.

sparring once a week is just not enough.

2.5 hours classes with only sparring once a week!

what do you do for 2.5 hours?

I should clairify, that is a dedicated sparring day. They do sparr for the last part of each class.

Back