How to fail a squat rep...

When ive failed in a squat before in a power rack I just carried on squatting down deeper till I hit the safety pins
If your in stands with no safety pins you want to try and shrug your chest up and back while letting go and moving forward so it fall behind you.
If you watch some videos of misha squatting out stands he will do reps then at the top just shrug it off his back instead of racking, that should give you some idea of how to do it.

Thanks for all the advice guys.
I'm not a fan of squat racks or power racks. Stands and bumper plates all the way, dumping the weight is easy:

My fear with that method would be the bar catching my ass or lower back on the way down. When he drops to his knees obviously the bar will be higher than his calves so its safe. I'll have to practice this method. Seems scary as fuck!

The first time you bail on a squat (with significant weight), it is scary shit. It was for me anyway.

Every time I've bailed on a squat it's been scary.

Honestly, I think that's one of the main reasons so many lifters don't squat heavy and/or use pathetically small ROM -- they're afraid of getting injured from a bad bail.

I think the reason that it's not scary at all with me is that the safety bars are just below where the bar is when I'm a bit below parallel. I've hit the bars a few times. so going down that low is not that hard. This means I don't really have to bend forward at all.

I've recently had to dump weight because of a failed squat. Here is a video of one of those

I have dumped weight like this before without a rack, using bumper plates. You just need to be a little quicker

There is something about this method that worries me. I usually pop forward enough so I'm nowhere near the bar as it lands. What if it landed closer to me, on top of my calves or heels. Im not so much worried about my calves but is the bar far enough from the ground that it will clear the heels? I'll measure it next time Im in the gym but I'd like to know if anyone knows for sure.

My fails look very similar to what 'Goon just posted above. Nothing really scary about it.

I think the reason that it's not scary at all with me is that the safety bars are just below where the bar is when I'm a bit below parallel. I've hit the bars a few times. so going down that low is not that hard. This means I don't really have to bend forward at all.

I think that on a couple of my heavier bails I fell slightly backward just before the bar hit the pins.

The heaviest bail I did, 405 lbs., to get the bar on the pins I had to squat maybe an inch lower than the bottom of the ROM on the 1RM attempt I'd just failed. The bar kinda smooshed me down and it wasn't a problem, didn't get hurt. But it was scary and I don't want to repeat the experience.

i squat in a squat rack or power rack. if i fail i just keep squatting slowly down until my arse is almost touching the floor as i am flexible enough. the safety bar will do the rest.

Back