how to defeat "the wrestler"

one of the previous posts above is correct. Guys in that light of a weight class won't fatigue. And if he's THAT good of a wrestler, with great balance, base, timing, power, speed and is learning sub/positioning skills....well then, you are just going to have to learn to lose most of the time. A guy that is physically gifted and has athleticism and great wrestling ability is a tool that is hard to teach. And a guy like that will always have an advantage in a JJ match. Pushing the action hard, and using superior physical traits and having around the same level sub skills as an opponent is usually going to get you the win. You just have to face up to that.

your only chance is to submit him from your guard imo. work those triangles, armbars and omoplatas. chances are, however, he will learn much faster than you because of his experience and beat the piss out of you lots more in the future....good luck!

learn submissions from your back; I mean ok big fuckin deal its in training, throw some attempts and work on recovery, you won't be losing out.

Learn good hip movement on your back and work on pulling him back into gaurd when he escapes. When you have an open guard you've got a little more of an offensive defense; don't be so focused on keeping him down. He's a wrestler so he'll have balance that will blow you away; you'll have to really surprise him to sweep him.

Don't underestimate the hardcoredness of a wrestler, being patient really isn't an option because the only one who will tire out is you (unless your cardio is of the same calibur). Work on strength and cardio outside of the mat room if you really are motivated to catch up with him. You'll start closing the gap, but I doubt you'll close it completely unless you're dedicated to hell.

Porter said:
Lean everything you can from him I would say.

put it the best; I mean you're training with him, so you're learning with him, so you're learning from him. Get the best you can out've it.

triangle choke ... this is how i've beaten most wrestlers, or sweep em and get their back and rnc or armbar.

killer_kicks88 said:
he knows submissions also, i took on the challenge of teaching him submissions in turn for learing his wrestling skills, we train privately at my house, im slowly learning his game, but he just seems so strong
I guess you are up to smth. But don't go into details... :D

Gsoares2 said:
a white belt training people........ soon their will be many hyper extended arms in future..

well i am only a yellow belt, but i train under a guy who has a black belt from nathan marquardt...he's got some awesome skills, and i have placed first in 5 of the 6 submissions tournys i have entered, and most of them were open weight with guys up to 200lbs., I'm not syaing I'm a phenom or anything like that at all, but don't go shooting your mouth off like that, i have been helping my instructor teach for a while now, despite what you may think, i DO know how to grapple, i was just looking for some tips to beat a guy who's been wrestling for 10 years, and i was more just looking for tips against wrestlers in general, and to everyone else, thank you for the tips

Yellow belt in what art? BJJ only has yellow belts for juniors as far as I know.

Work on technique and sweeps. One things wrestlers do suck at is getting out from underneath you. No wrestler likes to be on their back. If this kid is dominating position then you need to work on countering those positions. After you can counter and control him worry about submitting him then.

PROTECTION-POSITION-SUBMISSION

i think its good to have a good wrestler at your gym to train with.....the one at mine is about 250 pounds (im 165) and after rolling with him everyone else feels like a rag doll. the dudes a frickin spaz though, i hit my head like 50 times on the mat while rolling with him, such a bad headache

imo, 2 things. 1- as far as his takedown, single or double, Drive that head- '90'. That will force him to tie up. Takes time to get good. 2- Wrestlers, really have no tech compared to a sub grappler. They will drive hard and post. You have to keep moving. Easier said than done vs a good wrestler, but they get bored easy down there. 3- (anyway) don't be afraid to turtle. It is an easy way to change it up. It is a decent def position if you use it.

flyingknee16 said:
triangle choke ... this is how i've beaten most wrestlers, or sweep em and get their back and rnc or armbar.

Armbar from the guard...if I'm careful enough they don't pass my guard if they get out of it.

You'd do much better rolling with him in a gi

whoever said "get him on his back" has a very good suggestion.

Truculent said:
whoever said "get him on his back" has a very good suggestion.

lol, putting a nationally trained wrestler on his back is a lot harder than it sounds. He's trained for 10 years to avoid that.

Back