how to defeat "the wrestler"

killer_kicks88

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
ok...wtf man, i train with this guy who was ranked 6th in the nation in college wrestling...he's only 141lbs., and I'm about 143lbs...but he seems strong as heck when i try anything against him, he's SO good at keeping top, and i can't keep my guard locked around that lil bastard, tips?

learn some moves...

the guy prolly has little to no submission training, but has been grappling for at least 12 years, that's probably 11 1/2 years more than you, of course he is going to be all over you like a fat kid at a candy shop. all i gotta say is you better hope he doesn't start learning moves, cuz you may never catch up to him and his ability.

Break his knee so he is out of action for 6months and you can learn some actual transitions&submissions. Because barring that happening be prepared for continual ass whoopings from this guy.

killer_kicks88 said:
ok...wtf man, i train with this guy who was ranked 6th in the nation in college wrestling...he's only 141lbs., and I'm about 143lbs...but he seems strong as heck when i try anything against him, he's SO good at keeping top, and i can't keep my guard locked around that lil bastard, tips?

Lean everything you can from him I would say.

he knows submissions also, i took on the challenge of teaching him submissions in turn for learing his wrestling skills, we train privately at my house, im slowly learning his game, but he just seems so strong

a tricky guard game helps a lot.

but if hes a better grappler than you, then hes a better grappler than you. theres no single technique you can do to magically beat him.

he knows submissions also, i took on the challenge of teaching him submissions in turn for learing his wrestling skills, we train privately at my house, im slowly learning his game, but he just seems so strong

Whats your grappling experience?

this doesn't go for all wrestlers but some wrestlers likes to stand up with a wide base when they pass guard, and that's when x-guard is perfect, just start from hooks guard and if they stand up shift to x-guard, alt try a normal sweep from hooks and they will put out their leg to defend.

a white belt training people........ soon their will be many hyper extended arms in future..

killer_kicks88 said:
he's only 141lbs., and I'm about 143lbs...but he seems strong as heck

I love the way you say he's only 141 lbs when you're 143 lbs!

Get more experience first yourself and you will learn what to do. We can not advise you since we do not know what his game is like, what submissions he is best at, how comfortable he is on his back, how good is sub defense is etc

The only real advantage you can try gain is better cardio so he tires himself out using his strength and then you can sub him after he is gassed

The guy is going to continually put you on your back. Wrestlers are just super aggressive in going for that. They will work non-stop until they get you on your back, then they will ease up a bit and try and always maintain top control (in my experience).

I would definitely look into good guard sweeps and sub setups.

Learn some stuff. Instead of rushing in, take it slow with one another. Improve your techinique and skills. Then later on some random day, challenge each other again. If you beat him then, right on, if not, you sure has hell would have gotten better. By the way, lift some weights.

Superbeast said:
The only real advantage you can try gain is better cardio so he tires himself out using his strength and then you can sub him after he is gassed
wrestlers under the 145 lbs class dont fatigue.

wrestlers are aggreessive by nature, I have always had a problem with them too. Try to be aggressive back, that is my best advice at this point in time.

defeat 'the wrestler' with 'the jits'. bro he will dominate u in positioning , in basing , in every aspect of the game except submissions. work ur subs from the guard , and if he does pass get him back to the guard. ur bottom game will become excellent and ur guard game will be great against wrestlers.

if the guy was #6 in the nation at that weight class

you will tire before he does. Even if he is being super aggressive. His conditioning will allow him to pour it on and wear you down. Even if you are being totally defensive, he'll tire you out.

keep him in your guard and constantly keep him shifting around.

if you wear gi's, then a choke is your best friend. If it's no gi, then good luck. Try to get his back with a armdrag from the guard or something.

I experience this too sometimes. A guy will come in who has wrestled in high school and college, and just dominate me with positioning. I never really did any athletics before BJJ, so in terms of general explosiveness and strength these guys are much better than me.

Depending on how long you have been training you may never catch up to this guy. With the wrestlers that come in i can sometimes submit them with oomplata or a bicep lock from the bottom, or sometimes the triangle. Sweeps work sometimes too. I like the scissor sweep, i know its a basic one, but it still works for me.

Rolling with these guys forces me to work on my athletisim and explosiveness, in addition to technique. Technique is very important, but this is a combat sport, and sometimes it helps to be able to go faster, harder, and longer than the other guy.

Back