how to defeat "the wrestler"

killer_kicks88 said:
well i am only a yellow belt, but i train under a guy who has a black belt from nathan marquardt...he's got some awesome skills, and i have placed first in 5 of the 6 submissions tournys i have entered, and most of them were open weight with guys up to 200lbs., I'm not syaing I'm a phenom or anything like that at all, but don't go shooting your mouth off like that, i have been helping my instructor teach for a while now, despite what you may think, i DO know how to grapple, i was just looking for some tips to beat a guy who's been wrestling for 10 years, and i was more just looking for tips against wrestlers in general, and to everyone else, thank you for the tips

Yellow belt teaching classes? Sounds like a great idea.
Yellow belt fighting in absolute? If your a yellow belt im guessing your a Jr, what are you doing in absolute?

if this were a puzzle it wouldnt equal out to be anything, something is wrong.. none of the pieces fit together.

wtf is absolute?...i already said, i train no gi, my instructor just calls it submission fighting, and he just awards us belts like karate i guess, i don't question him, i have been present while he speaks to nate and have spoken to him myself so i know he's not lying about where he learned his shit, but he doesn't do "BJJ", it's just submission fighting is what he calls it, and again, wtf does absolute mean? and i don't teach, i help my instructor teach, help the beginners with their technique, and yes, i am a beginner myself, but i know what im doing teaching some guy an armbar from guard, anyway, my instructor thought it was a good idea that i help this wrestler with his moves in the off time

killer_kicks88 said:
wtf is absolute?...i already said, i train no gi, my instructor just calls it submission fighting, and he just awards us belts like karate i guess, i don't question him, i have been present while he speaks to nate and have spoken to him myself so i know he's not lying about where he learned his shit, but he doesn't do "BJJ", it's just submission fighting is what he calls it, and again, wtf does absolute mean? and i don't teach, i help my instructor teach, help the beginners with their technique, and yes, i am a beginner myself, but i know what im doing teaching some guy an armbar from guard, anyway, my instructor thought it was a good idea that i help this wrestler with his moves in the off time
lol

lol...don't laugh at me =P...i swear i have no idea what absolute means, and frank shamrock doesn't use a gi, and he calls his system submission fighting, so i don't get the joke XD, i'll just laugh anyway

You've won five tournaments and don't know what absolute is? The real problem is becoming much clearer.

wtf is it?...it was all little local stuff so i wouldn't know, what does absolute mean?

killer_kicks88 said:
wtf is it?...it was all little local stuff so i wouldn't know, what does absolute mean?

Absolute means open weight class.

ahhhhhhh...all of the tournys were absolute then, cuz there was no weight class

sounds like this guy trains in japanese jiu jitsu. They have LITTLE to no sparring in class. And the tournies he entered were also jjj ones where nobody else knows how to grapple

if you can't get top position, then learn some guard sweeps.

he'll likely power out of all your guard subs at this point in time.

learn to regain guard or fight when your back is turned (to escape the bottom position).

remember while your game is on the bottom, his is on top, and he's got more exp. so sweep his ass.

learn the half guard

since he is passing your full guard, tells me you don't understand the guard yet, so
work with something more basic, the half guard, just do that like a mofo.

Steeltwo said:
if the guy was #6 in the nation at that weight class

you will tire before he does. Even if he is being super aggressive. His conditioning will allow him to pour it on and wear you down. Even if you are being totally defensive, he'll tire you out.

keep him in your guard and constantly keep him shifting around.

if you wear gi's, then a choke is your best friend. If it's no gi, then good luck. Try to get his back with a armdrag from the guard or something.

I caught a wrestler with the gi choke. I also had him in the triangle a few times, but he'll
posture and attempt to pass immediately.

1st off I am going to make an assumption and assume you are a relative new comer to sub grappling (hence the yellow belt) and IF the wreslter IS rated #6 in the US he is pretty damn good. Also you say he has some knowledge of subs ...well to make a comparison Royce grappled a pretty good but old Dan Severn and it took him a good 45 minutes to finish the fight with a triangle. Now I know Dan had like 50-70lbs on him but the comparison is still valid considering your newness to the game.

Chances are IF he is that good your chances of catching him will be slim. Your best bet is to continue working your guard game. Most likely he will continue learning the top game because that is where he expects to be 99.9% of the time. Eventually you will come to a point where you might sweep him or sub him and he will feel easier to handle to you. this might be 2 years from now but it will happen after practicing with the same partner over and over again.

Then there will come a point where neither of you can get the other in a sub or sweep because you know each others game so well an the ONLY thing seperating you and him will be the takedowns...and we both know who will win that battle if you dont work on them yourself.

Porter said:
Lean everything you can from him I would say.

bingo.. try to train with him often. if you can get to the level as this guy. you can humiliate people and take their soul like he did to you

knoxpk said:
1st off I am going to make an assumption and assume you are a relative new comer to sub grappling (hence the yellow belt) and IF the wreslter IS rated #6 in the US he is pretty damn good. Also you say he has some knowledge of subs ...well to make a comparison Royce grappled a pretty good but old Dan Severn and it took him a good 45 minutes to finish the fight with a triangle. Now I know Dan had like 50-70lbs on him but the comparison is still valid considering your newness to the game.

Chances are IF he is that good your chances of catching him will be slim. Your best bet is to continue working your guard game. Most likely he will continue learning the top game because that is where he expects to be 99.9% of the time. Eventually you will come to a point where you might sweep him or sub him and he will feel easier to handle to you. this might be 2 years from now but it will happen after practicing with the same partner over and over again.

Then there will come a point where neither of you can get the other in a sub or sweep because you know each others game so well an the ONLY thing seperating you and him will be the takedowns...and we both know who will win that battle if you dont work on them yourself.

Honestly this is a silly thread.....if he's truly 6th in the nation. You probably won't beat him for LOOOOONG time. Just learn from him. It's like starting a thread with the title: How do I beat Lance Armstrong in a half marathon? Sure he probably doesn't specialize in running but I'm sure he can beat the piss outta me off of straight cardio alone. Same goes with sub-grappling and freestlye.

Seriously, if he is #6 is the nation than he is damn good. You're a beginner and so is he, but he has way more experience than you. Consider yourself lucky to train with him. He will also most likely pick stuff up faster than you will.

thanks for the tips guys, he WAS sixth in the nation, and i have been able to tap him some lately, so i feel pretty good ^_^

Back