How to defeat fatter opponents?

German Supplex

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Upon reflecting on my journey in grappling and in jiu jitsu, Ive come to realize that fatter, larger opponents have been my kryptonite and a thorn in my progress. Fluberrious guys seem to be naturally and amazingly well adapted for grappling. They sweat immediately which makes them more slippery and hard to control, difficult to pull guard and get my legs wrapped around them, crushing top game, extremely difficult to sink in RNCs due to their neck being very well guarded and hidden, low center of gravity and large amount of weight that makes it impossible to score any kind of ippon or takedown on them.

How do you deal with them?

Haha, awesome. I have usually just kept scrambling or pushing...just stay active. If they're that fat, they usually gas out soon.

Haha, awesome. I have usually just kept scrambling or pushing...just stay active. If they're that fat, they usually gas out soon.

Some of the guys I'm talking about have surprisingly decent cardio. They make good use of their energy stores, that's for sure. What to do in such a case?

I see a big difference between fat and big.

Fat opponents seem easier to handle, if they are fat they come with all the bad stuff that comes from being fat (bad cardio, difficulty breathing, difficulty moving)

Big, on the other end, is a different concept. I grapple with a guy that is 310 pounds, just fat. Hard to deal with but manageable at the end.

I also grapple with a big ex wrestler who is 285 pounds, good mix of fat and muscle. That is a different battle, a losing battle.

Eat more and more and even more until you're fatter than they are. Insta-win!

Inspire them to change their diet and lose weight.

Never let them grab your head, that's priority one when rolling with really large guys

What if you have to fight them in a street fight?

run...

you mentionned pulling guard! which I would discourage

you mentioned they are hard to finish the rnc...in the street you would just soften him a bit before sinking the rnc.

you need to learn how to arm drag from standing, closed guard, butterfly guard.

also technical stand up from closed guard and open guard.

you mentioned they are hard to finish the rnc...in the street you would just soften him a bit before sinking the rnc.

I'd argue that they are already pretty soft.

It's hard to get access to the neck, even if you wear them down a bit and get your arm beneath their chin.

I'd argue that they are already pretty soft.

It's hard to get access to the neck, even if you wear them down a bit and get your arm beneath their chin.

so they tuck their chin in to defend the rnc.

easy, just choke them on the chin, mouth with a hard cross face as well.

Make sure you dont cook in your training clothes before class.

distance guards, that way they cant just drop their weight on you.

I see a big difference between fat and big.

Fat opponents seem easier to handle, if they are fat they come with all the bad stuff that comes from being fat (bad cardio, difficulty breathing, difficulty moving)

Big, on the other end, is a different concept. I grapple with a guy that is 310 pounds, just fat. Hard to deal with but manageable at the end.

I also grapple with a big ex wrestler who is 285 pounds, good mix of fat and muscle. That is a different battle, a losing battle.

This is important too, our fat hides our muscle so out of shape weak fat looks similar to strong fat. And if he gets to dictate where the fight takes place because he trained judo/wrestling/sambo and its a white belt that has been grappling for over 12 years then thats how the jimmies get rustled.

Back