1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

How to defeat fatter opponents?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by German Supplex, May 28, 2014.

1. Dogstarman Old man jiu jitsu

I had a really big guy just drop all his weight on my legs/knees while I was holding closed guard to open my guard. It worked he opened my closed guard and all 285 pounds ripped my groin. I'm 190 pounds. I still don't really know how he did it just kind of hopped up then came down on my knees making me do the splits.

I don't work closed guard on big guys anymore. It's all knee shield and butterfly guards if they get me on my back. I try to move around them as much as I can.

2. BJJArsenal Brown Belt

I play spider guard, most of them seem content to pass on their knees and I just try and stretch them as much as possible.

3. gatsby5555 Yellow Belt

Love Wilson Rants. Miss training out there.

More on topic though, I too, have struggled against the fatman. The issue isn't so much that they are stronger than me, but attempted efforts pushing off of them to create space result in my arms simply disapearing into the fatness of the belly. Much like the blob absorbing my arms.

Somebody already said it though, if they really are fat you should be able to win just by always making him work. I like to try and stay on top at all costs, this is where "position before submission" really comes into play.

4. Knock Out Ned el mero mero

In gi, pistol grip opposite arm with my outside hand underneath their arm pit and arm drag to the back.

No gi, just a basic arm drag.

Gets em' every time.

5. Rod1 Titanium Belt

The spider eats the fly, the fly pesters the human the human crushes the fly.

Be the fly, not the spider, get out of your comfort zone.

6. SFCFighter Blue Belt

you already win at life by not being fat like them

7. 400lbKneeOnFace Orange Belt

8. German Supplex Orange Belt

What does that mean?

9. dalexan242 Blue Belt

It seems like the human would crush the spider, not the fly. Humans crush both though. Being a human is awesome and much better than being a spider or a fly.

You're welcome.

10. Lemniscate White Belt

Stop watching xfactor and hit the weights. And yes ^

11. berimBOWLoh Silver Belt

spider, shin to shin, butterfly

or just batter their self esteem with fat jokes/references until they develop an eating disorder then kick their ass when you are bigger/stronger than them.

Last edited: May 29, 2014
  12. German Supplex Orange Belt

I do hit the weights and my numbers are pretty good. However, when you're dealing with 320 pounds of wobbly, jiggly, unpredictable flubber and playdough it's much harder to maneuver that since it's very fluid and waterlike in a way, as Rickson would probably say. Very hard to uchi mata or get any kind of throw going. Seems like everyone is saying that's a bad idea, to go for armdrags instead.

13. Leify Ebb and Flow

To beat a fat guy, you need to play the long game. Sneak into their house at night, and replace all their food with salad. Destroy their car transmission, so they have to walk everywhere. Falsify the cholesterol count on their blood test.

Then, when they've slimmed down, you crush them and reveal how you outplayed them all along.

14. German Supplex Orange Belt

If only my legs were long enough to where I could bodylock them and gas them out. I'd call it the Lap Band :icon_chee

15. esteven Blue Belt

Don't let him put his belly on you. The hardest part is having your hips immobilized by being surrounded by gut; it's the way the fat conforms to your body when you're underneath that sucks. Closed guard is a poor choice for exactly that reason. Keep his stomach off of you (frame, move, whatever), and get on top (don't even think of trying to submit from bottom).

16. Rod1 Titanium Belt

Of course being big is always an advantage but its easier to crush a spider than a fly.

I have far more trouble with people in the lightweight to welterweight weight class than in the middleweight.

The smaller guys are just used to never have a size advantage so their games are always distance management and speed, middleweight people develop pretty good guards all around because they are rarely on the weight disadvantage and when they are on the weight disadvantage is usually against fat out of shape individuals.

Then come the fat strong guy with a judo base and they get their jimmies rustled because their halfguard is not working anymore.

17. Rod1 Titanium Belt

Armdrags wont work if the guy has a wrestling/judo background on top of BJJ, spider and DLR are better choices.

18. German Supplex Orange Belt

Didn't you just tell me to be the damn fly and not the spider?

Kidding. I do no gi, so spider and DLR might not be ideal?

How do you deal with taking fat guys down btw? Focus on tripping them and not throwing them?

19. lechien Gold Belt

Head snap down. Once they posture up to defend it, switch to arm drag. Once they pull the arm out to decent it, single leg takedown.
    You can mix they up.
    But I prefer starting form head, arm then leg.

20. metallifan3091 Green Belt

Try to get your knee up on their sternum, above the rounder part of their stomach. Keep the instep of your foot stapled tight to your opponent's body, so he can't hook it with his hands and use it to sweep or re-guard. Above all, prepare to be mobile.

You should have a speed and agility advantage; use it to stay on top and maintain some semblance of dominant position. Drill switching from KOB to mount and back often, and work on moving from one side of KOB to the other by windshield wiping your legs and keeping all of your weight on your opponent as you move.

You don't have to maintain position forever. If they push on your knee, their arms will open up. The near and far-side armbars are both great attacks from KOB. I don't even especially care for armbars, but I hit both of them pretty regularly, including against bigger guys, and I'm only 5' 7" and ~145lbs.