1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

How to defeat fatter opponents?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by German Supplex, May 28, 2014.

1. Rod1 Titanium Belt

No gi? learn to wrestle, im not a wrestler so i cant comment on specifics but i have rolled with small wrestlers and they used to get me by circling with a single leg, low enough that i cant whizzer and fast enough so that i cant properly react before pressure is put.

In judo, you better have a better grip fighting or you are into a losing battle.

Nogi is harder IMO because there are less ways to manage distance, in Nogi i can clean the room with all my teammates although some will fight tooth and nail to get me tired which happens if they are the ones who impose the rythm.

2. armtriangle Brown Belt

I'm pretty fat. There is no secret.

Usually when smaller guys try to tire me out, they get tired first due to me not moving much even if they want me to. That said, I'm not super fat, just kinda fat.

3. Macca97 Yellow Belt

Definitely

4. Sexy Pants Blue Belt

What's consider fat here? Give me some specs? Want to see if i'm in the club

5. Macca97 Yellow Belt

No gi is much much much easier for us smaller guys against big dudes. I'm 68 kg and there's this dude that comes to the no gi class, roughly 80 kg and very athletic, I usually best him no gi but occasionally he gets me in a dominant position and I can't escape, but he starts coming to the gi class, within a week he can pass my guard and control me much easier(a week of training in a gi). I had more friction to escape, and he had more things to hold onto. My only path to success against bigger dudes with some decent skill is to be aggressive, rax but never rest and always scramble hard, never let them get to a good position or your fucked, arm drags from standing to the back are great. Knee on belly is fantastic, taking the back is good to, be ready to move when on top also

EDIT: I'm aware this isn't talking about fatter guys just bigger guys but this is pretty much the same concept, with fatter guys you can't let them win the standup, if you start on the ground your up for a challenge, from side control a fat guy with almost 0 experience can hold me there as long as he understands the concept of side control, not that they can usually catch you with anything

Last edited: May 29, 2014
  6. German Supplex Orange Belt

Probably 260 and above. A guy I worked with was 320 lbs and about 5'10". He was immovable.

7. German Supplex Orange Belt

So how do you deal with someone who is fatter than you?

8. armtriangle Brown Belt

The same way I deal with any larger opponent, with BJJ. I adjust my game based on what they do, same as I do for everyone. I make small adjustments to positions due to size, but nothing I have to think about beforehand, I just do it the same as I would for any other person.

That said, I am a brown belt in BJJ and I am over 200 pounds. So a 300# person doesn't really rattle me that much.

9. rmongler Black Belt

[YT]OspN__NvfIQ[/YT]

10. Chungungo Getting some snow

I was told the same for a greco friend, there was a guy in here wining in all the tournaments just by pushing guys outside the mats and of course no one in the BJJ community seemed to have good wrestling but my friend said outside single all day---

11. Chungungo Getting some snow

I agree, when the big guys learn to use the gi can stack you and you

12. JustinTime Green Belt

Let me repeat this quote. PREPARE TO BE MOBILE. Honestly, a movement-based top game helped me against the larger fellows more than anything else. Transition, transition, transition, armbar. Period.

13. Rod1 Titanium Belt

14. Ice 9 Cobra Black Belt

You see lighter guys win nogi absolutes more than gi absolutes

15. Rod1 Titanium Belt

ADCC is by far the prime venue for no gi competition.

16. JustSomeGuy Purple Belt

LOL

"Heet tha fooking weights!"

Awesome :)

17. JustSomeGuy Purple Belt

This is good advice. In the past, I've done Judo/BJJ all the way up to 385. Nowadays, I'm around 275 and dropping. The guys that give me the most trouble are the ones that move fast. Fast, active, open guards. Arm drags to back. Tight kesa gatames when they get them. A brown belt did a quick x-guard sweep to side mount to kesa gatame on me last night and held me there for a good two minutes. Be fast, take their back and get them flat on their back when you can.

18. 7437 Banned Banned

I would imagine this is the best advice.