How the UFC has undermined the legitimacy of MMA

Nobody brought up PRIDE or said they were more legit? Not sure why you would even post this.

Ironically, Zuffa was infinitely more motivated to bring the best fights they could to the masses back then (though that was influenced more by survival of the brand as opposed to actual growth of the sport). Now they're even more corrupt than FEG was. FEG had a history of trying to influence single fights, Zuffa is at the point now where the writing is on the wall and it's up to you to read it. Be a marketable, self promoting striker or take your chances with something else.

This is laughable, by the way.

Jesus Christ.

You're one of the "legendary" posters around here...you've got to do better.

It is a true, by all means, DOUBLE EDGED sword.

If it were a sport, we'd be missing out on a lot of good fights stylistically wise.
-Brock fighting top guys was something to behold,
-Chael talking smack and fighting Silva gave us one of the come back fights of all time.
-Connor fighting Aldo, instead of a wrestler is way more intriguing than a wrestler.
-We'd see more Okami,Fitch,Shields style of fights. Legit, but lets not pretend we want to cancel our plans for them

The flip side of things, we see ridiculous rematches, like Edgar-Maynard, We almost had Hendrick/Lawler 3 for christs sake.

Re signing Old fighters(Page & Cro cop) who were losing, and cutting fighters who are winning is just odd no matter what.

Weirdest is when the UFC protects their champs, or has certain agendas.
We have numerous rematchs that noone wants to see, and Jones was allowed to skip on GUS. Despite fans wanting it, and GUS wanting it, meanwhile GSP was shit on when Dana thought he lost & demanded a rematch on the spot.

UFC letting connor dodge the top 3 contenders who all happen to be wrestlers is pretty funny too.

But hey... best of both worlds...worst of both worlds

I was just thinking about the message that Dana and the UFC has tried to push over the last few years:

The UFC is legit and that it will someday surpass the other sports. And the idea was that getting a big network deal like the one they got with FOX would further help solidify this goal.

However, in the last little while they have really gone out of their way to promote things in such a way that makes the sport seem more illegitimate than ever. Now, I am not starting this thread to critique fighters, I am merely pointing out how the UFC is undermining their sport.

1. McGregor and how they have marketed him.
http://www.mmanews.com/lorenzo-fertitta-says-ufc-ignored-dennis-siver-purposely-piss-off-fans/

First Lorenzo comes out and admits that they are purposely trolling the fans by ignoring one fighter in an upcoming main event.

Second, the UFC promotes him as the Irish Ali.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/1/21/7865169/forbes-blasts-ufc-conor-mcgregor-muhammad-ali

Now, none of this is McGregor's fault as he clearly was not comfortable with the Ali comparisons but it didnt stop the UFC from continuing to use it.

2. Then they pass off Rousey as one of the greatest EVER.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/1/1...orenzo-fertitta-says-ronda-rousey-is-the-most

Listen, she is a great athlete and is definitely going to be considered one of the greatest when we look back some years from now. But, two things are important here. Let us not forget that compared to other MMA organizations, the UFC was late into the WMMA scene. And, WMMA right now is the equivalent of the MMA when Royce was around. There is one person who is elite and a bunch of other fighters that are still trying to reach that level. This is very much unlike most of the divisions on the men's side, where there can be multiple individuals at the top.

These are just two examples of how a casual fan and a hardcore fan can look at how the sport is being presented to the world and think that it is a big joke that is not to be taken seriously. I get it that the UFC is a business and the point is to make money and so they have to sell the present as the best ever, but let us all acknowledge the truth, and that is, the UFC is only thinking about itself, all at the expense of legitimizing the sport we love.

Sorry to break this to you kiddo, but the sport hasn't been legitimate since the Unified Rules were introduced.

Chael vs Bones was the end of legitimate MMA.

I think they're aware now that pushing it as a sport just does not sell. Freakshows, illegitimate title shots, celebrities and blood. That's how you sell fights.

No shit! (in general, not @ you)

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If a ruling was passed and Zuffa could viably drop the unified rules in favor of NHB and still get sanctioning, they'd do it the day before the decision was made.

Wah wah wah. Keep crying. We've seen threads like these millions of times already.

So what are the other options? Please do not go on about there are other orgs out there. Please do not ask if we've heard of Bellator or WSOF. I mean, honestly, are you going to expect a MLB or NFL fan to be satisfied by saying they can always watch the minors? No, just no. When it comes to the future of the UFC and how it effects the future of MMA, that arugment has to become dead and buried.

dont compare team sports that are properly regulated to the ufc. there are fighters out side the ufc who could easily beat current fighters on the ufc roster. for entertainment purposes... they aren't signed with the ufc. this is not true with nfl mlb nab etc etc. if you good enough your there trying to help a team win a flag.

ufc has failed to reach the dizzying heights with the "sport" aspect and are now relying on the spectacle aspect to make $.

Wah wah wah. Keep crying. We've seen threads like these millions of times already.

Im sorry but I think the only one crying here is you: "Oh no, a repetitive thread, ahhhhhh! I have to tell the mods".....

I am glad that you post 17 times a day as I am sure you are keeping the forum nice and organized. One day you will be recognized and made a Mod.

Sorry that this thread is not about McGregor and how great he is or who he will have his first defense against, or how Jones was caught with cocaine...like most threads on this forum, I presented an opinion, nothing more, nothing less. The point is to come on here to express either agreement or disagreement with the point of the original thread. You on the other hand, are the annoying one with nothing to add. I get it, you cant help being a little bitch, as it is in your DNA. I understand, doesnt mean I have to like it.

And now back to the point. I love MMA and will continue to watch it. However, for a long time people (MMA "journalists" and purists) took great offense when it was compared to WWE; however, the reality is that the UFC has not gained any traction in being able to distance themselves from the WWE in the eyes of the public. And therefore, they will never be taken seriously and these types of antics that I pointed out will not help with that.

The sooner everyone realizes that the UFC and mma aren't a sport, the better. You can enjoy it much more

Back