How the UFC has undermined the legitimacy of MMA

The Eye

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I was just thinking about the message that Dana and the UFC has tried to push over the last few years:

The UFC is legit and that it will someday surpass the other sports. And the idea was that getting a big network deal like the one they got with FOX would further help solidify this goal.

However, in the last little while they have really gone out of their way to promote things in such a way that makes the sport seem more illegitimate than ever. Now, I am not starting this thread to critique fighters, I am merely pointing out how the UFC is undermining their sport.

1. McGregor and how they have marketed him.
http://www.mmanews.com/lorenzo-fertitta-says-ufc-ignored-dennis-siver-purposely-piss-off-fans/

First Lorenzo comes out and admits that they are purposely trolling the fans by ignoring one fighter in an upcoming main event.

Second, the UFC promotes him as the Irish Ali.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/1/21/7865169/forbes-blasts-ufc-conor-mcgregor-muhammad-ali

Now, none of this is McGregor's fault as he clearly was not comfortable with the Ali comparisons but it didnt stop the UFC from continuing to use it.

2. Then they pass off Rousey as one of the greatest EVER.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/1/1...orenzo-fertitta-says-ronda-rousey-is-the-most

Listen, she is a great athlete and is definitely going to be considered one of the greatest when we look back some years from now. But, two things are important here. Let us not forget that compared to other MMA organizations, the UFC was late into the WMMA scene. And, WMMA right now is the equivalent of the MMA when Royce was around. There is one person who is elite and a bunch of other fighters that are still trying to reach that level. This is very much unlike most of the divisions on the men's side, where there can be multiple individuals at the top.

These are just two examples of how a casual fan and a hardcore fan can look at how the sport is being presented to the world and think that it is a big joke that is not to be taken seriously. I get it that the UFC is a business and the point is to make money and so they have to sell the present as the best ever, but let us all acknowledge the truth, and that is, the UFC is only thinking about itself, all at the expense of legitimizing the sport we love.

So what are the other options? Please do not go on about there are other orgs out there. Please do not ask if we've heard of Bellator or WSOF. I mean, honestly, are you going to expect a MLB or NFL fan to be satisfied by saying they can always watch the minors? No, just no. When it comes to the future of the UFC and how it effects the future of MMA, that arugment has to become dead and buried.

I think they're aware now that pushing it as a sport just does not sell. Freakshows, illegitimate title shots, celebrities and blood. That's how you sell fights.

Exactly. Dana doesn't care about MMA, he cares about his own pocket book. Hes feeding idiots a bunch of tripe and they swallow it. Except now they're not swallowing it as much, which is why he has to sign old fart like Cro Cop and Rampage that can barely walk let alone fight. We're watching UFC die before our eyes. Good thing Viacom is around to deliver the product REAL fans want to see, not a bunch of idiots that believe whoever will work cheap is a good fighter just because Dana told them they were.

Even Bernard Hopkins said that boxing should take a page from the UFC in giving the fans the fights that they want to see rather than adhering stringently to subjective rankings.

I think they're aware now that pushing it as a sport just does not sell. Freakshows, illegitimate title shots, celebrities and blood. That's how you sell fights.

This. It's all about the money. Fighters should realise this and go full heel.

How do you not even mention CM Punk?

I disagree with some examples, most sports will sell their stars like crazy and hype them even beyond their abilities. Overall though yeah, there's some serious issues I have with how the company is managed.

Conor and Rousey are excellent at the legitimate sport part of MMA too, even if the never opened their mouths. Shouldn't you have brought up CM Punk and the signing of all these past their prime legends instead of bringing up dominant fighters who have yet to even hit their prime?

Prize fighting isn't like other sports. Sure they could buck like a 100+ year trend, but I don't set my sights that high.

the ronda rousey being the best ever thing really bothers me... how can they claim that when her last opponent was a 20-1 underdog. how can you claim to be the best when the "#1 contender" is 20-1 to lose

This isn't a recent thing. They've only been about pandering to the JUST BLEED crowd for a very long time. Not marketable or able to self promote? Get fucked. ''Boring'' grappler who loses a single fight? You probably just lost your job. Not a fan favorite and you have bad publicity? Bellator's waiting for you.

On the flip side of those: Are you marketable and able to self promote? Feel free to break any rules you please, your job is secure. Are you a striker who throws wild haymakers? Lose all you want, just don't get KO'd in 30 seconds. Fan favorite with bad publicity? We at Zuffa are proud of you.

When your Leonard Garcias keep their contracts while quality ''boring'' fighters get cut, when your fan favorite fighters will get a title shot off of any win whatsoever, when your own promoter treats their fans like mindless sheep (and they enjoy it), what legitimacy is there to be had?

People like to say boxing was just as corrupt but it's not even close. The MMA equivalent to guys like Winky Wright and Lennox Lewis wouldn't even BE in the UFC if they existed right now.

So what are the other options? Please do not go on about there are other orgs out there. Please do not ask if we've heard of Bellator or WSOF. I mean, honestly, are you going to expect a MLB or NFL fan to be satisfied by saying they can always watch the minors? No, just no. When it comes to the future of the UFC and how it effects the future of MMA, that arugment has to become dead and buried.

Not at all. I think there are still ways to make the sport legitimate. For example, setting actual standards for title fights, rankings, pay, etc. It is funny how years ago they closed down the LW division due to lack of competitiveness and yet now they have a whole group of divisions (WMMA) that can be argued has the same thing.

Now I didnt bring up CM Punk because quite frankly who knows how that will even pan out. Will he ever actually step into the Octagon. Plus, my main point was how they market these other fighters, now if they came out and said CM Punk is some superstar fighter with over 100 fights to his name (or something like that, haha) then I would have included that.

This isn't a recent thing. They've only been about pandering to the JUST BLEED crowd for a very long time. Not marketable or able to self promote? Get fucked. ''Boring'' grappler who loses a single fight? You probably just lost your job. Not a fan favorite and you have bad publicity? Bellator's waiting for you.

On the flip side of those: Are you marketable and able to self promote? Feel free to break any rules you please, your job is secure. Are you a striker who throws wild haymakers? Lose all you want, just don't get KO'd in 30 seconds. Fan favorite with bad publicity? We at Zuffa are proud of you.

When your Leonard Garcias keep their contracts while quality ''boring'' fighters get cut, when your fan favorite fighters will get a title shot off of any win whatsoever, when your own promoter treats their fans like mindless sheep (and they enjoy it), what legitimacy is there to be had?

People like to say boxing was just as corrupt but it's not even close. The MMA equivalent to guys like Winky Wright and Lennox Lewis wouldn't even BE in the UFC if they existed right now.

For sure. Thank you for bringing up the Garcia example. Great example. I know it is not new, I just read something that triggered this thought and so I started the thread. I definitely do not claim to be the first to think or say this, it just came to mind today.

Man... The CM punk thing pisses me off the most... Having played in the CFL and never getting close to a shot in the NFL... I have some context.... CM punk never fought in the ufc or mma fir that matter. Is getting to fight in the ufc lol now if cm punk said oh yeah I want to play in the NFL the idea would not even be entertained because the NFL is a legitimate sport. The UFC just isn't there yet and this reinforces that

Yeah.

I mean...the UFC are amateurs compared with the 100% legit FEG. The sport was totes legit, back then.

Yeah.

I mean...the UFC are amateurs compared with the 100% legit FEG. The sport was totes legit, back then.

Nobody brought up PRIDE or said they were more legit? Not sure why you would even post this.

Ironically, Zuffa was infinitely more motivated to bring the best fights they could to the masses back then (though that was influenced more by survival of the brand as opposed to actual growth of the sport). Now they're even more corrupt than FEG was. FEG had a history of trying to influence single fights, Zuffa is at the point now where the writing is on the wall and it's up to you to read it. Be a marketable, self promoting striker or take your chances with something else.

Two words:

Tim Tebow.

Is the NFL less legitimate in the eyes of the average fan for doing with him what the UFC is doing with Conor and Rousey?

Actually, Conor and Rousey are good at their sport, Tebow was shit.

The UFC was built on "freakshow" fights from day 1.

A skinny 170 lber whooping larger men.

Pride had freakshow fights and over the top entrances.

EliteXC had freakshow.

Freakshow and hype has been a staple of mma all along.

If you're expecting hype to go away, you're watching the wrong sport.

Controversy and drama sells, end of story.

On the bright side, at least the best mma fighters in the world actually fight each other... unlike boxing

There are definitely some serious legitimacy issues but is normal with a big business like UFC

Nobody brought up PRIDE or said they were more legit? Not sure why you would even post this.

Ironically, Zuffa was infinitely more motivated to bring the best fights they could to the masses back then (though that was influenced more by survival of the brand as opposed to actual growth of the sport). Now they're even more corrupt than FEG was. FEG had a history of trying to influence single fights, Zuffa is at the point now where the writing is on the wall and it's up to you to read it. Be a marketable, self promoting striker or take your chances with something else.

Okay so if MMA wasn't legit back then (it wasn't...not even close), and it's not now...when/where has it been legit? At some point in its history, it has to have been legit...otherwise the righteous have nothing to compare it to or make a judgement.

As for "be entertaining or go home." This isn't an MMA/Big Bad Zuffa thing, it is a combat sports thing. People care about entertainment, excitement, and intrigue. The fight business has always been slanted to those who are able to self-promote and/or be entertaining. Mickey Ward/Gatti made big paydays...not because they were all time skill guys, but because they were entertaining. Why is a guy like Guillermo Rigondeaux not one of the highest paid, most popular, boxers on earth? He has the skills/pedigree to be, no doubt.

Trust me...I hate seeing guys like Okami/Fitch/Sheilds cut from the big leagues because they're legit top-15 type guys in their divisions (or were when they were cut). It sucks bad (especially for those guys), but this is the fight business...and entertainment, excitement, and intrigue have ALWAYS been a big part of the equation.

Back