How the hell did Frankie get a title shot before Maynard in 2010 when...

how the hell did Frankie lose
Edgar vs Henderson II? he clearly won.

Watch it again. Henderson won rounds 1, 3 and 4. They weren't even that close. Rogan did a great job making it look more even though, by making a big deal of every single shot Edgar landed. The 49-46 by one judge was a joke. It was close enough that I can understand people scoring the fight for Edgar 48-47 but it wasn't a robbery like for example Edgar vs. Penn 1.

Disclaimer: I'm a big fan of both fighters.

If I remember Maynard beat Nate in an uninspiring win and UFC didn't think he was ready so it was given to Edgar. It was also a time when Penn was the LW king and nobody thought anyone in the division could even give him a challegne.

No idea, it should have been Penn vs Maynard at UFC 112. Frankie also shouldn't have gotten the decision win in Abu Dhabi and had to get back in line to get another title shot.

Maynard had a stinker on PPV against Clementi and there was stories he didnt wnt to fight BJ

BJ was Maynard's coach on TUF and there was a mutual disinterest in a fight between the pair.
Maynard was also regarded as a boring lay and prayer back then.

mostly because he dominated sean sherk when that really meant something

and because almost all of maynard's fights were considered very boring.

not to mention, two of gray's wins were very close and even controversial (especially the diaz fight, I thought it was an outright robbery)

I agree with all of this.

Gray used to be thought of as a very boring fighter. That's why the reaction to Guida/Maynard is so hilarious. Maynard used to be thought of as a really boring fighter trying to avoid fighting while Guida was always loved.

not to mention, two of gray's wins were very close and even controversial (especially the diaz fight, I thought it was an outright robbery)

nail-on-head.jpg

Gray gives very boring interviews and Jersey Shore had huge ratings at the time.

I came in to say the last part, most people I remember thought Diaz won

Maynard had a stinker on PPV against Clementi and there was stories he didnt wnt to fight BJ

So he didn't get the title shot because of a poor performance against Clementi 18 months prior to Edgar getting the shot against BJ? WTF are you on about?

He had a fight with Diaz for the title shot and he didn't look great and a questionable decision. Dana didn't think he was ready for BJ on the basis of that performance and gave the shot to Edgar.

this is one reason why people don't remember how great Edgar seemed to be. Often, if you weren't watching and just look at results it's easy to forget the buzz and drama around certain fighters.

Edgar has never gotten the respect he deserves. After that loss BJ totally fell off (the GSP loss started it), so that "discredits" beating one of the best LWs in UFC history.

He had a fight with Diaz for the title shot and he didn't look great and a questionable decision. Dana didn't think he was ready for BJ on the basis of that performance and gave the shot to Edgar.
This too!

Maynard before the 2nd Edgar fight was a boring wrestler, but like his roomate Rashad changed his style and his standup to become a good allround fighter. Records sometimes hide the facts - look at J-Lau. His record doesn't show how good he is. Even his losses are good fights (not just entertaining, but he fights well).

Some wins by some wrestlers (i'm not trolling wrestling) aren't even dominant. Unfortunately some fighters get a bad rep because of those other fighters... I think GSP and Fitch are actually interesting and work hard in both camp and octogon.

Anyway... Frankie got the shot cos he stepped up to fight the best and was on a tear. Maynard had sketchy wins and wasn't really loved at that point

This

But not this, I'm a big Diaz fan but I recently went back a rewatched this fight and Maynard clearly won.

Watch it again. Henderson won rounds 1, 3 and 4. They weren't even that close. Rogan did a great job making it look more even though, by making a big deal of every single shot Edgar landed. The 49-46 by one judge was a joke. It was close enough that I can understand people scoring the fight for Edgar 48-47 but it wasn't a robbery like for example Edgar vs. Penn 1.

Disclaimer: I'm a big fan of both fighters.

Did he now? The same Ben Henderson that after the fight said on Camera he thought it was 2-2 entering the 5th round and the Judges unanimously thought Edgar won the 5th round.

The same fight where Edgar was busier landing more strikes,significant strikes,body shots,leg kicks,submission attempts(including the guillotine choke was the closest finishing moment of the entire fight),takedowns( Edgar had 2 takedowns to 0 from Bendo, 6 attempts to 1 from Bendo),etc. Edgar dictated the pace of the fight.

Disclaimer: Not a big fan if you really think Bendo won that fight. He clearly lost it. Best reaction were the tv analysts that to keep the company integrity, went with the decision even though they said everything in Frankies favor but expressing the opinion the judges got it wrong. Mir's reaction on the post fight fuel tv show was priceless.

Haha he wanted nothing to do with Penn. But once Edgar won that belt, he went crazy with calling out Edgar.

So he didn't get the title shot because of a poor performance against Clementi 18 months prior to Edgar getting the shot against BJ? WTF are you on about?

I got the Clementi and Diaz fight mixed up (no biggie), both where stinkers and both where times for Maynard to stand up and be noticed

Back