How the hell did Frankie get a title shot before Maynard in 2010 when...

Because Frankie wanted the fight and Maynard didnt. After the Nate/Maynard fight, Maynard was asked about fighting Penn for the title his answer was "BJ Penn's a cool dude man, I was with him on TUF and he was a cool dude man. He's a funny dude man" and never properly answered if he wanted the fight... he ducked that fight hard.

I wouldn't say he ducked the fight ... rather they were friends from what I understand and Maynard came down to Hilo a few times to train BJ Penn in wrestling.

So friends and training buddies ... usually that means they won't fight each other.

Watch it again. Henderson won rounds 1, 3 and 4. They weren't even that close. Rogan did a great job making it look more even though, by making a big deal of every single shot Edgar landed. The 49-46 by one judge was a joke. It was close enough that I can understand people scoring the fight for Edgar 48-47 but it wasn't a robbery like for example Edgar vs. Penn 1.

Disclaimer: I'm a big fan of both fighters.

You are talking nonsense. Edgar clearly won round 4. All 3 round by round guys on Sherdog gave round 4 to Edgar, the round by round writer for yahoo sports gave round 4 to edgar, the round by round writer for Bloody Elbow gave round 4 to Edgar and I can go on. To say they "weren't that close" would mean every writer for every major MMA publication had it wrong which is pure bs.

Maynard already had a victory over him the year prior?

Same reason Cain got a title shot before JDS, even though JDS was knocking out the number one contender at the same time Cain was fighting a nobody. Politics and who they want to push.

I wouldn't say he ducked the fight ... rather they were friends from what I understand and Maynard came down to Hilo a few times to train BJ Penn in wrestling.

So friends and training buddies ... usually that means they won't fight each other.

I guess... what put me off is just that Maynard clearly didnt want the fight but after Frankie got the shot and beat BJ, he started lobbying hard for an Edgar fight which is fine but he also said things like "Edgar should have never got the shot in the first place, I was ahead of him in the line" and so forth which was cheap IMO.

Because Edgar beat the LW champ in his last fight. Simple.

mostly because he dominated sean sherk when that really meant something

and because almost all of maynard's fights were considered very boring.

not to mention, two of gray's wins were very close and even controversial (especially the diaz fight, I thought it was an outright robbery)

Natman always saving the day!

Back