How often for squats?

My focus is on Muay Thai. I was on starting strength which had me squatting three times a week. I found this too much, in addition to doing MT three times a week. I'd end up skipping either an MT session or strength workout as the fatigue caught up to me. I also had some other commitments which ate into my time.

I've switched to tactical barbell (you can check out my log). Most of the templates in the book are three day like SS, but one of them's two day (and it's actually called the "fighter template"), so I'm only squatting (and lifting) two days a week. For me, with my priority being MT, this is perfect. I don't feel like I'm dragging ass anymore. Unless I see drops in my one rep maximums when I retest, I won't be going back to three days of lifting. At least until I stop fight training.

Your best bet is to follow the program you're on, and see what works for you and your situation. I'm guessing cuz you're on a fight forum that fighting's on the list, so just make sure your program has that functional slant to it that translates into useable strength and power.

G

Your best bet is to follow the program you're on, and see what works for you and your situation. I'm guessing cuz you're on a fight forum that fighting's on the list, so just make sure your program has that functional slant to it that translates into useable strength and power.

G

This. A lot of people are always asking what's best and the answer is whatever works for you. Take a routine and mold it to your needs.

Funny side note kind of on topic---Growing up the guy who ran the hockey shop always had these answers to our adolescent questions...

"Tom, what's the best pair of skates?" - The ones that fit your feet.
"Tom, what's the best hockey stick?" - The one that scores the most goals.

The best routine is the one that you make the most gains on- etc. Everyone is different, I still tweak my routine every 6 months just because I feel I need to. With that, I am always learning, growing, and building.

The original Starting Strength program calls for Squats 3 times/week and deadlifts 3 times every two weeks.

The answer to the TS's question depends on other factors. A new lifter can squat heavy three times/week while a more experienced lifter will have to vary the intensity or reduce the number of days they squat. Generally speaking, most people find that they need/like to squat at least twice/week.

Can you link me to the original SS? Maybe the one I was looking at was different.

Is the original SS the one riptoe still recommends to beginners or has he modified it?

Doesn't Dan John/Dan Gable say if it's important do it every day? That's my take on Squats.

Doesn't Dan John/Dan Gable say if it's important do it every day? That's my take on Squats.

Dan John isn't a fighter. Also, to play devil's advocate here, is fighting important to you or is squatting?
If it's fighting, then maybe it's not as productive to squat everyday as well. If its squatting then maybe fighting every day won't work quite as well.
My 2 cents.

My focus is on Muay Thai. I was on starting strength which had me squatting three times a week. I found this too much, in addition to doing MT three times a week. I'd end up skipping either an MT session or strength workout as the fatigue caught up to me. I also had some other commitments which ate into my time.

I've switched to tactical barbell (you can check out my log). Most of the templates in the book are three day like SS, but one of them's two day (and it's actually called the "fighter template"), so I'm only squatting (and lifting) two days a week. For me, with my priority being MT, this is perfect. I don't feel like I'm dragging ass anymore. Unless I see drops in my one rep maximums when I retest, I won't be going back to three days of lifting. At least until I stop fight training.

G

I also agree with this. Do what works for your situation....a dude that's working two jobs and has a kid is gonna have a different take on it than someone that was born rich and doesn't need to work...as an example.

I usually do them twice a week, same day as my deadlifts.

Heavy deadlifts = followed by lighter repetition work squats.

Heavy squats = followed by lighter repetition work deadlifts.

All things considered, I could probably skip the lighter squat workout. I don't feel like it makes much difference, except maybe making me slightly less prone to injury.

I squat 3x a week but the intensity and volume change from day one to the other two days depending on which week of my training cycle I'm on. Essentially, everyday I'm in the gym I squat.

Currently 3x a week (every workout) on madcow. The middle day is a light day.

Back