Social How often do you think about the roman empire

ok, what was the negative effect on innovation?
Seems like Rome became pretty conservative in terms of advancing its military during the imperial years compared to the late republican years were it advanced massively, by the time of the collapse of the western empire its advantage over the Germanic forces it was fighting was greatly reduced.

A lot, because I am a historian by training and have a huge interest in history. It is a fascinating, complex period spanning early antiquity to early modernity which has had huge signficance for the history of Europe and the Near East.

Most "Romaboos" - when not being ironic and meta about it - have a very poor grasp on history in general and the Roman Empire in particular. Not surpising of course since most people more generally have incredibly outdated, simplistic views of history which are stuck in the nineteenth century if not before (ie. Gibbon). As clearly exhibited in this thread, this tends to attract those with certain contemporary political views to attempt to interpret the Roman Empire through their own lens.

"gay guys" was nothing, they actually had apes raping women in their coliseum and people eaten by lions and tigers, all for entertainment. At least according to the docu I saw. Like most things, when they reach the ultimate extreme, the pendulum swings back, thus, the christian era and all the moral conduct. Place was nuts whatever era you look at, just like us.
Gorillas raping women? Wtf dude?

Every Fall
@PaddyO'malley
fight-me-bring-it-on.gif

Haven’t thought about since high school history class. Was one of my favorite topics in the American public school history curriculum.

Roman trivia I read this morning

The Roman Empire Could Have Been Kept From Falling With This One Weird Trick​

What if the Europeans had seen the Byzantines as brothers?​

Well the Romans had largely recovered under Eastern rule before their final face off with Persia in the 7th century. That exhausing war to end all wars was what left the door open for Islam.

Roman empire is a can crusher. The real alpha is the mongol empire, and I think about it every time I visit Sherdog because Sherdog is the mongol empire of the internet

roman-vs-mongol.png
Meh I tske the Alexander Macedon Empire short lived as it was. Secerly out manned and out gunned every battle ... to conquer most their known world in 5 -6 years.

Meh I tske the Alexander Macedon Empire short lived as it was. Secerly out manned and out gunned every battle ... to conquer most their known world in 5 -6 years.

1 thing that gets overlooked when throwing around this phrase is most of said known world was already controlled by 1 party the Persians. If you take out Darius and co its basically winner take all for the known world. If we're going to put Alexander on that pedestal Cyrus and his son should be on it as well because they had to take out 4-5 civilizations to build almost the same empire Alexander just needed to defeat 1 to acquire.

Not that its not an incredible feat but I feel that gets lost in translation. That war was over by the time they got to Syria and Iraq after which point it was just marching to the edges of the former Persian Empire to establish control over the individual provinces.

Back