How much rest are you getting?

E

E C Monee

Due to my schedule I average 4-5 hours of sleep during the week and around 8 or more during the weekend days. I was wondering what most of you average. Except for being sluggish and tired at the gym once in a while, I really don't know how much this is effecting my potential.

Thanks,
-E

I train 4-5 times a week and on weekdays usually hit the sack about 10-12p, and wake up around 8ish. Weekends are usually sleep later wake up later.

I always feel really good for the several hours that i train. Of course i sometimes have sluggish days or days when 3 3min rounds kills me but ive noticed that i feel sluggish if i eat a big meal 2 hours or as it gets close to training time. So i now eat like 3 hours before training.

E C Monee said:
Due to my schedule I average 4-5 hours of sleep during the week and around 8 or more during the weekend days. I was wondering what most of you average. Except for being sluggish and tired at the gym once in a while, I really don't know how much this is effecting my potential.

Thanks,
-E
You need way more sleep than this. Rest is an incredibly important variable to reaching fulll potential.

I know everyone is different but what is the bare minimum I should be getting? Unfortunately my day starts at 430am and usually doesn't end till 9pm and from 9pm to midnight I usually unwind and chill or do some school work which I will be restarting in 8 weeks.

E C Monee said:
I know everyone is different but what is the bare minimum I should be getting? Unfortunately my day starts at 430am and usually doesn't end till 9pm and from 9pm to midnight I usually unwind and chill or do some school work which I will be restarting in 8 weeks.

Thats one long day what do you do?

Sleep is very important in the development and recovery of the body. 7 hours is a minimum you should be getting. I usally get about 8 hours but whis i could get far more.

It varies from person to person and depending what sort of activities you do but the amount you said sounds way too little for anyone. Depending on what kind of workout I do during the day and how much I used my brain (studying really hard or taking exams makes me need mroe sleep) I need between 7 and 8.5 hours of sleep (9 in extreme cases). You run some serious risks from now getting enough sleep and I ahve gotten sick from that before. It lowers your imune system, puts you at greater risk for injury, hurts your recovery times, and makes you feel tired and lousy all the time.

I have had times when I worked nights and days, two diferent jobs, and didn't sleep hardly at all and that felt terrible. I did not perform well on the job either. Felt sort of like Edward Norton in Fight Club.

Since my job at Fed Ex, for some reason I have only been getting 4-5 hours of sleep also. Like I would come home at 7-8 in the morning, take a quick jog, eat and then go to sleep. But then I wake up around 1-2 pm and I would think that I would be dead tired but It just feels.. normal? Donna I don't think its healthy though and I do take naps before I go to work so maybe the nap is the reason why.

i get about 6-7 somtimes 8 sometimes less than 6

The fact is sleep is vital. For your body to heal itself for the next day.

[Without sounding like old man]
When I was younger, I could work two jobs and train 4/5 times a week. Still find time for a social and love life. I could fight and heal up quickly and be back to it. Sleep was non existant some nights and upto 16hrs on others.
A few years on, and a few injuries on [joke] I train nearly everyday, but have had make changes in my life accordingly. I try to get avg 6.5hrs on working day and up to 10 on non working day. But my job involves funny shift pattern so only work half the days of the month.

Bottom line, if you're young your body can take a lot more and need less time to recover. But sleep is essential. You need 4hrs REM sleep medically for you to function and heal. However with a high training schedule i'd say avg. 7hrs. If you got the time 9 or so. Once in a routine your body adjusts.

0430 wake up
0530 leave for work
0600 start work
0230 leave work go to gym
0300 workout
0400 end workout head home
0430 get home shower cook meals for next day
0530-0600 leave for tkd currently tues/thurs and will be starting bjj in august mon/wed/fri
0630-0830 train get home about 0800-0900 depending on day

I currently only train in weights and tkd and im waiting to make a full recovery from a fractured 1st and 2nd metatarsal to start bjj and shortly after I start taking 2 online courses, I have maybe an hour to hour and half between getting home from gym to leaving for ma classes if this was enough time to do some school work and prepare food then I would be able to sleep as soon as I got home but even that is hard cause I need time to unwind. This is the time I also use for my female friends so its very hard for me to get my 8-7 hours of sleep. I guess I will have to try and force myself to sleep no later than 10 giving me atleast 630 hours sleep and try to do most of my school work and freaking on the weekends =\.

I sleep 6 or 7 hours in the week and 10 or 11 hours in the weekend.

Your at some torrid pace.
Learn how to train at home...once i learned how to train at home effectively and intensely i started saving alot of time and stopped missing workouts...i still go to the gym but about half the time i train at home...saves on traveling time and i dont' have to shower before hand.

Go listen to the Black Sabbath song 'killing yourself to live' and smoke some w--d. My MMA training really didn't start to excel until i stopped trying harder and started trying softer.

Back