How much does your Laptop Cost?

epc is trustworthy. I've bought a bunch of parts from them over the years (their Texas location) & they ALWAYS gave me a discount off of their asking price.

this is a pretty good deal btw @TidWell , if you still might want a ThinkPad

it comes with a docking station.

t460

$340

another reason to consider ThinkPads is that they have a 'Battery Threshold' feature which allows you to keep your shit plugged in at all times without fear of overcharging your battery, which would otherwise chip away at the overall design capacity, making your battery hold less of a charge over time.

I have mine set at 85%, so it automatically knows not to go beyond that point, leaving my batteries in practically 100% perfect health..

most ThinkPads have two batteries (one internal & one external). no other brand has this feature.
Bro Im going to have Thinkpad on my top list everything you saying is making it more desirable for me, I always use my laptop, my laptop now is dead if I unplug it, the batter only lasted 30 minutes now because of overcharging. That Battery Threshold feature is awesome plus the backlit keyboard buttons. Is Thinkpad the only one or do other brands like Dell have the threshold feature?

Battery Threshold is only available for Lenovo laptops via the Lenovo Vantage app available on the Microsoft Store for free.

that's the most important thing above all to me.

Bro Im going to have Thinkpad on my top list everything you saying is making it more desirable for me, I always use my laptop, my laptop now is dead if I unplug it, the batter only lasted 30 minutes now because of overcharging. That Battery Threshold feature is awesome plus the backlit keyboard buttons. Is Thinkpad the only one or do other brands like Dell have the threshold feature?

sorry forgot to quote you, see post above.

this is what it looks like for my machine

oxvQI7z.png

Battery Threshold is only available for Lenovo laptops via the Lenovo Vantage app available on the Microsoft Store for free.

that's the most important thing above all to me.
That is now on top of my list just for that battery threshold.

oxvQI7z.png
I used to remove my battery when plugging my AC in to use my laptop but the only issue is if the power shuts down your computer shuts off and I lost alot of important stuff when typing doing an email and other stuff like playing a game. So this battery threshold is interesting to me.

No idea TBH, but it’s a work one and a pretty high spec (32gb, i9, big ssd, lots of ports, very thin and a beautiful screen). Think it was around £4k, but I could be wrong.

it’s a 2019 think pad, if that helps?

I also have several Dells I “liberated” when I got mine refreshed. My current download/emulator lappy is a 2016 Dell with an i7, 8Gb, SSD snd an intel 620. More than enough to run a torrent client and retroarch.

hp spectre x360.. got it in 2016.. still works amazingly well

Acer 7

1350 euros (it was the second most expensive laptop at MediaMarkt).

Acer 7
A717-72G-70LM
It has
Intel@Core i7-8750H
NVIDEA GeForce GTX1050
256GB SSD +1000GB HDD
I can run everything on it, games from steam etc...

Used to have cheap laptop from Aldi (Medion). They were 500-700 euro and lasted 8 years, they did everything except the new flashy games. Otherwise they could do everything.
Edit: You can buy laptops for 300 euro/dollars that work fine, but you are not gonna play the newest games with it and the screen is not so good ofc...

Asus Chromebook bought it new for 250 bucks if I remember correctly in 2016. Perfect for me. Nice big screen, I can't remember how much storage it has but I've had tons of movies on it for flights. I've managed to do all my work presentations on it. Hasn't given me any shit ever which is the most important thing for me (I've destroyed many keyboards before because of the blue screen of death). Don't have to worry about viruses and shit. I gave my tablet to my toddler because I never use it anymore. If you're buying one just make sure the end of life is as far away as possible though I think Google was coming up with a solution to extend the end of life dramatically. Mine expires at the end of 2021 I think so I've gotten a lot of bang for my buck, I'll definitely buy a new one at the end of next year.

@Brampton_Boy @22k

In a similar boat as Tid.

~$500 budget

Other than the usuals (browsing, streaming, etc.):

-basic video editing (youtube)
-light gaming (thinking indie games, and older ones like Medieval/Rome 2: Total War)

(These aren't necessary, but would like to be able do them if possible)

-3D modeling/rendering
-game streaming

Acer 7

1350 euros (it was the second most expensive laptop at MediaMarkt).

Acer 7
A717-72G-70LM
It has
Intel@Core i7-8750H
NVIDEA GeForce GTX1050
256GB SSD +1000GB HDD
I can run everything on it, games from steam etc...

Used to have cheap laptop from Aldi (Medion). They were 500-700 euro and lasted 8 years, they did everything except the new flashy games. Otherwise they could do everything.
Edit: You can buy laptops for 300 euro/dollars that work fine, but you are not gonna play the newest games with it and the screen is not so good ofc...
Do you remove the battery if you plugin the ac when you use the laptop for gaming and prolonged use or do you keep it in at all times when plugging in the ac?

@Brampton_Boy @22k

In a similar boat as Tid.

~$500 budget

Other than the usuals (browsing, streaming, etc.):

-basic video editing (youtube)
-light gaming (thinking indie games, and older ones like Medieval/Rome 2: Total War)

(These aren't necessary, but would like to be able do them if possible)

-3D modeling/rendering
-game streaming

ThinkPads can hang with all of that, but considering your 3d modeling & gaming needs, I'd recommend you get one with a discrete GPU.

this is a popular ThinkPad - a t540p, & it has a discrete GPU. it is however 6yrs old, no touch screen option - although it's still plenty powerful rest assured. this one in particular that's linked only comes with 4GB RAM, so it's best to upgrade it.

a t550/w550s has triple storage options, & a 3K touch screen option as well which is freaking awesome (I got this for my mom). those will cost a bit more though.

MSI GL63 I got 6 months ago for $1000
  • Intel Core i7-9750H 6 core
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6GB GDDR6
  • 16GB DDR4-2666 RAM (user expandable to 64GB)
  • 1TB Nvme SSD + empty 2.5" drive bay and M.2 slot
  • 120Hz TN panel

Real good specs for the price when I got it but like Windows laptops in this range they are unrefined and are quirky which is a combination of the integration of hardware and OS.

P4P best laptop I've to this day is my 2012 Macbook Air which I still use at times.

Some Lenovo laptop for 250. Only use it for browsing Internet and watching shit.

MSI M60 or G something think of top of my head, 2018?

i5 7300 with a gtx1050 .. I have upgrade it to 16gb ddr4 and put a 480gb ssd as the main drive and it runs great..

Still can run games 1080p ok with some sacrifice to the quality and maybe not hitting 60fps.. sometimes turning it down to 900p

Nice MSI built quality, still looks modern and has a really nice 17" screen.

Oh paid about 600 for it thats pounds

oxvQI7z.png

I do the same thing. Keep mine at 60%.

I also use Throttlestop to undervolt and limit the max CPU speed most of the time to 2 GHz when I'm not doing heavy lifting with it. I also use Throttlestop to do heavy lifting too on a different setting so it doesn't throttle.

$370 iirc. Got it back in 2017 and still works good

hpelitebook2560p-1.jpg

It used to have Win 7, but I decided to make it a Linux distro

Mines is an HP i5 17 inch laptop which I bought for about 330 a year ago. I like buying HP cause they are cheap yet run well. My last 5 laptops were HP's

yeah the issue I had with HPs are the cooling fan, its a great computer but for some reason their fans break down after a few months for me.

I had a Mac and that laptop was top class I had it for 4 years and never had a cooling fan issue, I sold it though for some store credit at bestbuy to buy an ipad.

I used a cheap Toshiba laptop now and the fan is also broken after a year.

I had an issue with that as well, you need to buy a cooling pad. My 15 inch HP doesnt have an issue with cooling though neither did my last 17 HP laptop which I only used for about 6 months before I ruined it by messing up the screen because of the way I was holding it.

Back