How much does the first Leon-Belal fight affect you picking the winner of this one tomorrow?

XThe GreatestX

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Title. Obviously these guys fought before. Kinda weird fight stopped on an eye poke

Being completely honest Belal looked really bad that fight. Couldn’t take Leon down, was completely ineffective at basically everything he tried

BUT 5 fights since then, looked good in most of them

somewhat interesting nugget but maybe won’t matter much

I rewatched the fight yesterday. Belal was getting pieced up and got hit with a huge head kick and still survived. I really think Belal was starting to turn the tide though and figure out Leon’s timing.

I def give Belal the cardio edge and since this is a 5 round fight I can see him drowning out Leon by the end of it.

Only problem is, the refs seem to be oblivious to Leon’s fouling and the fight is happening in the UK again. That makes me worry for Belal.

Pretty significant

Leon was dominating him

It not like the Blaydes Tom 1 fight ending after 10 seconds on a freak injury

We saw more than 10 x as much action in the first Leon Belal fight as the previous Tom Blaydes one

How much does the first Leon-Belal fight affect you picking the winner of this one tomorrow?​

None, as 1) It was called off before either fighter could establish who was the better fighter that night, and, 2) Both fighters are not the same now as they were three years ago. So, I'm basing my prediction on how they've looked lately.....not a good fight to bet on as both fighters have looked phenomenal lately, but I have Belal grinding it out for a decision.

Title. Obviously these guys fought before. Kinda weird fight stopped on an eye poke

Being completely honest Belal looked really bad that fight. Couldn’t take Leon down, was completely ineffective at basically everything he tried

BUT 5 fights since then, looked good in most of them

somewhat interesting nugget but maybe won’t matter much
Good question. In a sequel I go with the winner of the first fight unless there's a compelling reason not to do so. In this case the stoppage and distance of time makes that less a factor. Based on how they've performed since that fight I'm picking Leon by third or fourth round ko. If it goes to a decision I'd still pick Edwards but it could be quite close.

I do consider it, but in this case, I look to their most recent performances, especially for Edwards...

If we're being real, Belal is 36 and probably will do even worse. I don't think Leon is some unstoppable WW or anything. Belal will probably put up a better fight than Colby, but Leon seems to be a bad matchup for him. I think Shavkat/Leon would of been the better fight to see who is the best at WW.

Belal is fairly good everywhere, but not great at any one thing. He's tough, with good cardio.

Leon is very good at range. Showed decent counter-wrestling against Usman.

I think Leon repeats the tempo of the first fight, but the longer it goes, Belal may give him more trouble in the clinches and infighting exchanges.

I'm going with Leon via UD or split, in a somewhat close, albeit kind of ugly fight.

Quite significantly imo.

While both guys have improved since the first fight, neither guy has altered their style or their gameplans in their fights since.

Belal still hasn't shown anything to suggest he's dealt with the southpaw problem, he has struggled every time he has fought one.

Leon has also fought a few guys in a row now that, while not identical, do similar things in fight that Belal tries to do. Belal hasn't really fought anybody that fights like Leon SINCE he fought Leon.

It says that Leon is the better striker at least technically.

But Leon is too comfortable coasting even if he loses them like in the first Marty fight. He talks all violence but besides that headkick he hasn't hurt anybody in ages and has zero killer instinct.

Belal goes there to win by any means necessary and is a well rounded fighter. I think he might outwork a lazy Leon and win a decision which would be hilarious.

I rewatched the fight yesterday. Belal was getting pieced up and got hit with a huge head kick and still survived. I really think Belal was starting to turn the tide though and figure out Leon’s timing.

I def give Belal the cardio edge and since this is a 5 round fight I can see him drowning out Leon by the end of it.

Only problem is, the refs seem to be oblivious to Leon’s fouling and the fight is happening in the UK again. That makes me worry for Belal.
i rewatched it as well, and thought that the whole Belal was lit up like the christmas tree narrative was overblown. He was losing, but it wasn't that bad.

It does affect my reading of the fight quite a bit.

Leon, to me, looked better and sharper than Belal, and I think Belal will have a hard time stifling Edwards - but it is possible.

If Belal is now as defensively sound as Kamaru used to be, he has every chance.

But nah, I think Leon wins.

Belal took the first fight on short notice. I do think he'll lose but I don't think he'll get outclassed to the point where it looks like the first fight for 5 rounds.

Leon remains better on the feet, so if it stays there all fight I can see a championship round TKO or decision for Leon.

The key will be, has Belal learned to get inside on a Southpaw without too much damage and can he win at least 3 rounds by wrestling.

If Leon nullifies the wrestling or keeps Belal at distance, then that's a wrap. As hard a worker Belal is, he will not win the exchanges on the feet.

I think Belals game plan is going to be different. There is more tape on Leon and I think Belal is better prepared. However, so is Leon.

I think Leon takes this.

I was re-watching the weigh-ins from the their first fight and I gotta say.... Belal is in SIGNIFICANTLY better shape this time around.

He's also improved a ton since his last scrap and has been the more active fighter.

Call it a bold prediction... but I'm picking Belal via submission.

Back