how many schools have you been a part of?

In roughly 4.5 years I've trained 3 places:

First two years with Mike Yanez (Pablo Popovitch affiliate)
Summers with Sean bansfield (Saulo Ribiero)
Last 2.5 years Chris Malgeri (Marcello Monteiro)

My rank pretty much traveled with me wherever I went. I did most my moving as a white/blue belt. Just recently got my purple.

I've trained at 4... for a while I was going to two schools at one time.. One Gi the other No gi and MMA... Such a waste of money!

Three of the schools I went to were in Southern CA and the one I'm at now is in New York... I've been there for about 8 months now and will definitely stay at this one for however long I remain here in NYC.

The main question is, where do I train when I finally make it to Rio :)

Edit
Rickson Gracie
Legends MMA
Hollywood BJJ
and Clockwork BJJ

Since this is the grappling forum I assume that you are limiting it to grappling based systems.
One judo, One Judo / JJJ & my current BJJ one.

Two schools, the first of which I left because they left their affiliation and didn't obtain legitimacy elsewhere.

With regards to Grappling
5 official schools

Reasons I left -
1st gym - uh they were diks and I was a whitebelt getting tapped from unkewl moves like can openers or moves being held extra long by senior guys

2nd gym - closed down - loved the coaches and place

3rd gym - coaches changed, class smaller so less bodies to play, a weird event occurred that caused some friction, and I moved cities so gym is farther,

4th gym - still at, love it, love the guys and coach...plan on staying for years even after bb

5th gym - still pop in every once inawhile for new blood and mix up training

I am actually looking at a 6th gym to work my judo only.

All these gym hopping things caused me not to get promoted as fast due to being seen as a gym *hore and not loyal(there is a Brazilian word ?), there is also the thing of the coaches not wanting to promote me out of respect for other coaches and not knowing who should prmote me.

More than I wish to count. I really like training with high-level people, but don't care for competition. This kind of puts me in a bind since all the best training partners flock to the competition-focused schools. I wish there was a Danaher around here. :icon_conf

Back