how many schools have you been a part of?

1 school, but we had a change in team affiliation.

3 and a half? I started at one bjj school, and left it for my current school. In addition to my current school I train at one of our affiliates almost every week(half) and I joined a judo school last month.

I've been to 4-5 different gyms for more then a month a piece. I have finally found a place reasonable in price and instructions, however, none of the gyms seem to care about the other places I have been. Guys come from all the gyms in town and train together for competition. It's nice because everyone is looking to help everyone out despite being from another gym. I think it's insecurity on the part of the instructor to suggest otherwise and it's good to roll with new people.

One school.

I trained in a BJJ club before that, when I was in college, and earned my blue belt there. But I really don't count that as being affiliated. It was very informal and unstructured at the time, although I had some good people to train with and am thankful for the time I spent there.

One school up until Black Belt....I was affilated with another team for about a year and half but went back to my original Professor.

The first school was the one that got me. They encouraged me to move on to my second school which was much better. Than I moved to Japan and I joined a small school until I left for Gracie Barra. The Gracie Barra split in two because of infighting and I attended both. Than I moved to Tokyo where I continued at the school I am at now, where I am relatively happy.

With my lifestyle I couldnt imagine being at one school forever. Even if I stayed at one school, I couldnt it imagine it giving me everything I wanted all the time. I'm pretty agreeable so I can still train with all of my old teams at anytime without keeping my other schools a secret. I think I'm kind of lucky that way.

Define "be a part of." I was at my first school for almost 4 years, for a year now at my present school, and was at another for 3 months a while back and hit them up whenever I'm back home (so probably 4-5 months worth of classes). Don't know if that last one counts though.

One school in the U.S.A. for three months.
A club in France for a year.
Now I train at two different clubs that are technically part of the same gym.
So four.

I've lived in a lot of places and I travel a lot for work.

• I started training BJJ in Costa Rica, so that's one.
  • One of the purple belts in that gym splintered off, and I was good friends with him, so I followed him.
  • Right now I'm at my "main" gym in Canada. It's the only one I've ever represented in competition.
  • I also train regularly at a place in Hong Kong, as I own property and hold legal residence there.
  • I'm in Las Vegas 6 weeks a year during the summer, so that's five.
  • I also spent three months in Sydney, Australia, at a gym.

I have been a part of 3 schools. At my first school all the black belt instructors quit and went to another school so I followed them. While at my second school which had the same instructors I began training with my current instructor, Samuel Braga. This ended up being my 3rd school. I will be here for as long as the place is open.

about to be two.... if I can find a job and afford to start training again. I trained for a day at carlson gracie texas. There black belt tim rolled with me to start... Great training environment! Cant wait to go "on the regular".

congrats on the move nativa.

about to be two.... if I can find a job and afford to start training again. I trained for a day at carlson gracie texas. There black belt tim rolled with me to start... Great training environment! Cant wait to go "on the regular".

congrats on the move nativa.

thanks chirpin! was it andre's school? he said you came in and he was glad to see you guys!

In 06 I trained at MODCOM in Berkley, then decided I didn't want to grapple and focused on boxing. At the time they had a black belt instructor for Judo, but I can't remember who the black belt in BJJ was...I know the assistant instructor was a blue though.

During the spring of 08 I hit up Axis Academy, after I moved 4 hours north of my home town for a change of scenery. Carlos is a cool guy and helped me out when I needed it. I had to take a year off due to injuries, but now I'm back training with him. The gym changed their name from Axis to Team Quest Redding. Essentially I've been affiliated with 3 gyms, including the name change.

When I left MODCOM it wasn't a big deal to me, mainly because I keep to myself. Now, a few years later and quite a bit wiser, I've made solid relationships with people at the gym but they are somewhat leery of me...mainly because I was gone for so long.

I don't look forward to moving to SD if I get into grad school, it'll be hard to leave this all behind. white belt for life.

Two....the first one was only a muay thai school....
the second one that i have been at for a year and half....
this gym has it all...boxing, muay thai, mma, grappling, bjj

Starting my third in two weeks. My coach quit the gym he was teaching at now a bunch of us pay to work out of his house.

In Judo- 1, but it has changed locations.
In my various striking arts- 3, visited a fourth while in France.

Stand up - 1. BJJ - 2. I'm pretty loyal and don't like change much. ^^^Good to see a fellow Alaskan around these parts. :)

I've only trained at one school.
I hope to get my Black Belt from this same place but we'll see where job searches take me

My school is part of a bigger team though so its nice to be able to take a day to train elsewhere and get more experience/see more games

Back