how many schools have you been a part of?

navita

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Ok so I was just wondering with the community, how many people are still under the coach the started out with? This may not be much of the change for the lower belts, but I'm just wondering if you have changed schools, why?

I'm about to move across the country, and the one big plus is that there is an affiliate bjj school not too far from me... Essentially I will be changing schools, but because I'm a higher ranked belt, the coach said he wouldn't promote me, we would just wait for our coach to come visit to promote both of us.

wow 11?
thats nuts
ive been with one.
and i plan on being with my school untill blackbelt

Two. First school was no-gi only, it was exciting in the beginning but I grew out of it and wanted something different. Now I'm at a school doing 90% gi and I love it.

wow 11?
thats nuts
ive been with one.
and i plan on being with my school untill blackbelt

That's my goal too. I am at purple belt, the coach of the affiliate school is a brown belt now. He had a talk with me and was like look, i'm not gonna promote you, ever... that's marcello's job, your his student, you just train here because you had to move because of your job.

I trained for 6 months with gracie barra sevilla, but that was because I studied abroad in spain, I was definitely just a visitor though..

just 1 im moor of a no gi guy and thats what the school is so im happy

I have probably been seriously affiliated with at about three schools or so in BJJ.

For all the martial arts in general, it's probably closer to ten.

Two. First school was no-gi only, it was exciting in the beginning but I grew out of it and wanted something different. Now I'm at a school doing 90% gi and I love it.

i think training both is important. my schools similar we train about 90% Gi only 2 No-Gi classes

Off... like 7. I travel around a lot. But I quit BJJ a while ago.

Team Combat Jujitsu Camp Arifjan Kuwait- Jason Eggelston
Prodigy MMA- Zack

I actually think it is not very common to stay at one school for a lengthy BJJ career. As much as some people like to pretend this is a strict rule in Brazil, many of the top Brazilian competitors have trained at multiple schools in their lives.

The main factors that contribute to it are inevitable friction between certain personality types, schools shutting down or otherwise changing, and students having to move from one place to another. After enough years pass, it becomes pretty likely that at least one of those things will occur.

I actually think it is not very common to stay at one school for a lengthy BJJ career. As much as some people like to pretend this is a strict rule in Brazil, many of the top Brazilian competitors have trained at multiple schools in their lives.

The main factors that contribute to it are inevitable friction between certain personality types, schools shutting down or otherwise changing, and students having to move from one place to another. After enough years pass, it becomes pretty likely that at least one of those things will occur.

many brazilian change schools/ affiliations etc... or they train with friends at different schools. It's definitely not a bad thing to switch for whatever reason.i was just curious to see what the average sherdogger did. I think switching 11 times is a little much.. I wont lie.. but a few changes, is just natural..

One school basically phased out bjj.

I'm on my third right now. First one was in Chicago, second was in Seoul, third is in Seattle. I move around a lot for work. I will probably relocate again in the next couple years--but hopefully not before I get my purple.

I'm on my third right now. First one was in Chicago, second was in Seoul, third is in Seattle. I move around a lot for work. I will probably relocate again in the next couple years--but hopefully not before I get my purple.

what school are you at in seattle?? I'm moving to Washington on thursday, I'll be training out of tacoma

One. Ish. Westside MMA is where I started and I currently train, but Roli sort of shares me with Fight Sports so I can get a little more competition-oriented training when I need it. But I'm Westside through and through.

one

i done my homework first and knew where i wanted to train. didnt even bother to go to other gyms.

Back