How many of you use rubber guard?

Courter44

Green Belt
Reaction score
I was wondering how many people here try to use it and what kind of success they have. I train no-gi, and I have relative success with it although I get passed in chill dog quite a bit. I have never trained with a gi, but I assume it's probably an almost worthless system if you have handles anyway. Does anyone here have success with it or do most of you find it worthless?

I've tried it and had mild success. I can usually get a shoulder lock, but my free leg is passed easily so I usually avoid it.

I've tried it and had mild success. I can usually get a shoulder lock, but my free leg is passed easily so I usually avoid it.

I have the exact same problem. There are a couple counters, but you once it's passed you have to have really good leg strength to pull them off. The carni being the one that i use most of the time.

i usually use it when i roll. I've had some success with it. I almost tapped one of my coaches with a gogoplata. That was pretty sweet.

I tried playing the rubber guard early last year, only problem is it requires you to be really flexible and i ended up tearing a few ligaments in my knee while playing mission control. it kept me out of competition for a while.
the only part of eddie bravos system i still use is his half-guard game. and a few selected subs.

i recently started training with a gi. and i'm now a fan of gi jiu jitsu. when you take off the gi it's not to different.

I have the exact same problem. There are a couple counters, but you once it's passed you have to have really good leg strength to pull them off. The carni being the one that i use most of the time.
I'm a judoka though, so fancy guards like this or the X-Guard are really a waste of time for me. I personally try to keep it simple, I play closed, open with feet on hips sometimes with one elevator in and also butterfly. I've been trying to incorperate the TK Guard, hasn't worked for me yet though.:icon_cry2

I don't, but I train with someone who did know who Bravo was till about three months ago and has now starting to use the rubber guard and learn as much as he can. He is super flexible.

I use the twister attacks, half guard game, and butterfly game all the time.

Never read Eddie's book, but I use rubber guard at times. Our instructor's good friend who also has a school in town teaches at our school sometimes, and he's showed us a little bit.

Funny thing is, I'm very inflexable and never thought it would work, but it works well for me. He taught me to scoot my hips out a little to the side of my ankle that I'm grabbing.

He showed us a great shoulder lock, arm bar, triangle set up out of the rubber guard that I catch a lot of people in. I'm going to keep working on those three techniques and maybe read Eddie's book if I can get a hold of someone else's copy...

I tried playing the rubber guard early last year, only problem is it requires you to be really flexible and i ended up tearing a few ligaments in my knee while playing mission control. it kept me out of competition for a while.
the only part of eddie bravos system i still use is his half-guard game. and a few selected subs.

i recently started training with a gi. and i'm now a fan of gi jiu jitsu. when you take off the gi it's not to different.

I had a friend who did the exact same thing. I want to try gi jiujitsu but I live in a smaller town and we have the school I train at or TKD.

As for the flexibility I just use the butterfly stretch all the time when I'm watching movies and stuff, and now I can put my foot behind my head. It makes the rubber guard so much more dangerous when you can just put your leg up, and not pull it. I see you are an amatuer fighter. What is your record? Good luck in the gi training!

Never read Eddie's book, but I use rubber guard at times. Our instructor's good friend who also has a school in town teaches at our school sometimes, and he's showed us a little bit.

Funny thing is, I'm very inflexable and never thought it would work, but it works well for me. He taught me to scoot my hips out a little to the side of my ankle that I'm grabbing.

He showed us a great shoulder lock, arm bar, triangle set up out of the rubber guard that I catch a lot of people in. I'm going to keep working on those three techniques and maybe read Eddie's book if I can get a hold of someone else's copy...

You should really try to get a hold of a used copy if you can. Nothing wrong with learning just a few moves, but the flow charts are what helped me out a bunch. I like it because no matter what position I'm in the flow chart has a list of moves that I can use to sweep or submit. Understanding the philosophy behind the rubber guard is what really changed it for me from a couple moves to how I roll.

I had a friend who did the exact same thing. I want to try gi jiujitsu but I live in a smaller town and we have the school I train at or TKD.

As for the flexibility I just use the butterfly stretch all the time when I'm watching movies and stuff, and now I can put my foot behind my head. It makes the rubber guard so much more dangerous when you can just put your leg up, and not pull it. I see you are an amatuer fighter. What is your record? Good luck in the gi training!

i do the same thing for flexibility. when i'm kicking back at home or whatever, i try to get my foot behind my head or stretch my knees and all the various stretches eddie shows in his book. i can only get my foot to the top of my head.

Record: sub grappling: 6-3 something like that can't really remember
kickboxing: 1-1
mma/pankration: 3-1

good luck with the rubber guard training. hope that works out for you.

I only use it maybe if I'm warming up and I'm really fucking around with someone I'm much better than just to try things I'd never normally do.

I use mission control as a lock down, but don't do much more from there in terms of rubberguard.

I use mission control as a lock down, but don't do much more from there in terms of rubberguard.

Why is that? Do you just not like the rest of the system, or is it not effective for you? I really like to get to at least New York as it keeps them from posturing up and me from getting pounded!

I have a hard time pulling my foot over their head. I'm not big into Bravo so I don't even know what New York is.

I have a hard time pulling my foot over their head. I'm not big into Bravo so I don't even know what New York is.

Ahh I see. New York is where you trap the arm that is on the same side as the leg you are using for Mission Control. Work on that flexibility buddy!

i use it quite often and have had good results with it. i end up getting a lot of triangles from failed gogo attempts and since i started using it my guard is passed a lot less

Back