How many of you run 5k's?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by grrthetree, Apr 20, 2008.

1. grrthetree

grrthetree Green Belt

How many of you guys run competitively, whether it's at school, or 5k's, marathons, etc. ?

I run alot of 5k's and next year will be competing with cross country at school. Earlier today I ran 2 5k's, a road race 5k which I came second in my age group in, and a 5k trail run where I came in first in my age group.

2. SnowMongoose

SnowMongoose Blue Belt

How many of us care about running as more than a training tool should be your question.

And to answer your question: I don't, but have considered it, mainly as an avenue to annoying my runner friends.

3. flyingarmbar101

flyingarmbar101 Brown Belt

No, marathon running isn't good for you, nor is training for that kind of tournament. Excessive distance running is damaging.

4. Quince

Quince White Belt

I do. Did cross country, debating whether or not I'll continue when I go off to college later this year. Although running times are no longer my main concern since I bulked up a bit and started to focus on a strength and conditioning program, I still run road races for fun.

5. Oki Love

Oki Love Blue Belt

really? why?

i run 5 k's quite often, but then again, i'm in the military and we have to run.

we have to pt (physical training) 3 times a week but i run on my own time too. i've actually grown to enjoy running but i don't consider 5k long distance. i guess that's because i'm around a lot of folks who run half marathons and shit. i don't think i've ever ran more than 6 miles. i would like to though. i would like to run a marathon but preparation for that is a monster.

6. Ian Coe

Ian Coe Silver Belt Professional Fighter

If you don't mind me asking whats a usual pt session like?

Are you continually being pushed or do you get to a certain level of functional fitness and then its a question of maintaining that?

7. Freeman102010

Freeman102010 not Bȧnned

i ran in hs (10 years ago) to get in shape for rugby. I always came in last. even some special needs - forrest gump type kids beat me. but i know enjoy running and was in better shape for rugby

8. Ian Coe

Ian Coe Silver Belt Professional Fighter

Its a tool that you used effectively

9. noobloser

noobloser Yellow Belt

Running is awwwwwwwesome.

A lot of people on here seem to put running down in favor of MMA-specific training... But then again... They're the ones sitting on their ass posting on Sherdog instead of fighting Hughes (a runner) or GSP (a runner).

10. Rocked

Rocked Brown Belt

I am two years out from running four years of XC and 3 for track. I am training to run a half-marathon. I love running. I am actually 2 weeks out for the 08 Lincoln Marathon and Half-Marathon. Runing when done must be done properly, if it is done the wrong way, then it can be bad, but if you have good technique, form, and shoes that aren't bad for YOUR foot, and aren't worn out, it is great for the body and mind.

11. grrthetree

grrthetree Green Belt

well this last year wasn't very good at all, and couldn't get a good workout from our commander who had horrible leadership skills and was just overall bad at PT. I'm going to be the commander next year and will keep trying to push the cadets to get them to their max. If I can get everyone on the all-male JROTC PT team I'll be in great shape for competition.

A usual PT session starts with basic stretching, then some form of exercise, usually push-ups first, then crunches, then sun-gods (arm circles), then lunges, anything really. Afterwards we break up and do sets of push-ups and sit-ups, usually 4x 8-25. in the beginning of the school year most people are doing 4x8, and end up at 4x18.

12. Todd Gack

Todd Gack Dutch

Um. 5k is nowhere near a marathon distance.

Back when I was running regularly most of my runs were 5k runs. I found them to be a good distance for me. Not too long, but not too short either.

13. liquid!

liquid! mens rea

5ks are good for the free schawg and its nice to time yourself in a race enviornment, but more often than not, its frustrating to have "race walkers" get in the way. City streets can be clogged for the first .5 to 1 mile with office fatties who turned out to walk and you'll find yourself dodging lines of ladies with cankles.

Try a 10k or a trail race.

14. indigoluxe

indigoluxe Yellow Belt

Need to get my 5k time down under 20 minutes before I start running some competitive 5k's. As my friend Mel (a 'runner', who would call me a 'jogger') would say, 21 minutes 30 seconds is a good time

..for a girl.

:<

15. jwalk2515

jwalk2515 White Belt

I have 8 years in the Marines and over 3 years in the Army Guard so this is my experience only...

For most PT sessions it is all about maintaining fitness levels. We had days that were all about muscle failure so you were building there. To truely improve you must do PT on your own.

Boot camp/ Basic is teh time designed to improve and build you up.

A lot of the runs are unit runs where you move at the speed of the slower runners.

16. Freeman102010

Freeman102010 not Bȧnned

yep, it's true.

17. JDaveG

JDaveG Orange Belt

:icon_chee

What you need is to quit running with Mel.

I race 5Ks in the 30 min. range. No, that's not anywhere near fast, but it's what I run, and I enjoy it.

I occasionally place in my age group, particularly if there aren't a lot of old folks around :icon_twis

18. physicaltherapy

physicaltherapy Blue Belt

I just did a 5K for epilepsy in CO

19. indigoluxe

indigoluxe Yellow Belt

Yeah I know if I trained it right I could do a lot better too, I'd like to be able to run 17 minute 5k's and I know I have the build and natural running ability to achieve it.

It's great that you're running at a pace you enjoy, too many people I know think running is a huge chore when they do it to supplement their MT training. Even if I wasn't doing MT I'd run because it's the best feeling in the world, whether you're cruising at an easy pace, trying not to spew after a hard-nuts 5k, or almost passing out after a hard hill climb, it's all the best feeling.

20. TGR74

TGR74 Brown Belt

I like to run but have converted to trail running whenever possible. I no longer meticulously calculate running to drive down times and distances. I've ran long enough I can run once a week or every other week for fun but at a nice fast pace through the hills and trails up to about ten miles.

What i do consistently is lift though which really enhances trail running.

The furthest I have gone was a 16 mile trail run last year and ran a half marathon several years ago at an ok pace of 1:40.