How many of you run 5k's?

with all that said when i do run consistently i can tell a big increase in stamina and ab and posture strength increase greatly.

I have 8 years in the Marines and over 3 years in the Army Guard so this is my experience only...

For most PT sessions it is all about maintaining fitness levels. We had days that were all about muscle failure so you were building there. To truely improve you must do PT on your own.

Boot camp/ Basic is teh time designed to improve and build you up.

A lot of the runs are unit runs where you move at the speed of the slower runners.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm looking into getting into the UK military as a officer (although it won't be infantry at this rate, they have issue with the older lads when it comes to promotion from the sounds of it, I'll be 27 when i finish at the college) and was wondering how the training would differ during my career then from my current training (lacking that it is due to work and illness)

well this last year wasn't very good at all, and couldn't get a good workout from our commander who had horrible leadership skills and was just overall bad at PT. I'm going to be the commander next year and will keep trying to push the cadets to get them to their max. If I can get everyone on the all-male JROTC PT team I'll be in great shape for competition.

A usual PT session starts with basic stretching, then some form of exercise, usually push-ups first, then crunches, then sun-gods (arm circles), then lunges, anything really. Afterwards we break up and do sets of push-ups and sit-ups, usually 4x 8-25. in the beginning of the school year most people are doing 4x8, and end up at 4x18.

Whats the usual duration? It doesn't seem long

Do you up it if you're going out on exercises by a lot?

I like to run but have converted to trail running whenever possible. I no longer meticulously calculate running to drive down times and distances. I've ran long enough I can run once a week or every other week for fun but at a nice fast pace through the hills and trails up to about ten miles.

What i do consistently is lift though which really enhances trail running.

The furthest I have gone was a 16 mile trail run last year and ran a half marathon several years ago at an ok pace of 1:40.

I have never been one to measure out my distance. I just allow a hour for all my runs if its before work in the morning and just do a route I think will push me and then get back and have a very rough time. As long as I feel I pushed myself I'm happy with my runs (and after 4 weeks of this I did a timed run of 1.5 miles and pulled 8 min 49 which isn't bad considering I didn't do any known distances leading up to that).

Weekends though, unlimited time, I go and trail run in the countryside

Ran cross country in high school and was competitive. Started running 1/2 marathons a few years ago.

I want to do a full marathon at some point. And triathalons. But i will not be a nerd about it. Just do it enough to challenge myself without sacrificing my body.

Right now I'm sticking with sprints and weightlifting as I train Muay Thai.

I might try a 5k race at some point to see if I can beat my old high school time.

Not sure what the point of this thread is, but i'm fucking board.

I also during high school ran cross country and track (10 years ago) My senior year I was in the 4:50 mile range and 18 min 5k range. Unfortunately I was so laden with injuries throughout every season I feel that I never hit any peak.

A usual workout for us was a 5-8k warmup, 2-3 miles of sprints, ie 18-36 200's for pace, 300's, 400's, 600's, interval training or mile repeats, ended by hills, and then half an hour in the weight room.

I've always wanted to get back into it but I've been a lazy sack. Luckily I'm finding some inspiration in the S&P and here.

How many of you guys run competitively, whether it's at school, or 5k's, marathons, etc. ?

I run alot of 5k's and next year will be competing with cross country at school. Earlier today I ran 2 5k's, a road race 5k which I came second in my age group in, and a 5k trail run where I came in first in my age group.

Is that you Kalib?

I also during high school ran cross country and track (10 years ago) My senior year I was in the 4:50 mile range and 18 min 5k range. Unfortunately I was so laden with injuries throughout every season I feel that I never hit any peak.

A usual workout for us was a 5-8k warmup, 2-3 miles of sprints, ie 18-36 200's for pace, 300's, 400's, 600's, interval training or mile repeats, ended by hills, and then half an hour in the weight room.

I've always wanted to get back into it but I've been a lazy sack. Luckily I'm finding some inspiration in the S&P and here.

Same numbers here, except on my junior year. Weird. I didn't run in competition my senior year though. I bulked up a little for basketball (main sport) and couldn't hang anymore with the 100 lb freshman. I literally outweighed the heaviest guy on my team buy prolly 80 lbs.

I know 4:50 isn't exactly record breaking. But anything under 5min mile is pretty damn good. I'll never do it again. I'm about 210lbs right now. I did run a 1:50 1/2 marathon at 220lb tho...

Running is kind of addictive, but it just takes so much time. That is why I never stepped up to a full marathon. Man you could easily spend well over 10 hours a week just running. Not to mention how long it takes to come down from that. I'd go on a 15 mile run and spend an hour just coming down from it...

I used to measure running progress in terms of distances. Ran marathons, 10ks. But now I like it short (5k or less) and as fast as I can bear. I think I'm in much better shape as a result.

I used to measure running progress in terms of distances. Ran marathons, 10ks. But now I like it short (5k or less) and as fast as I can bear. I think I'm in much better shape as a result.

I think the shorter distances are mentally harder when you keep at it (until you get to like 15+ miles, that must be mentally hard)

i run ussually 4 days a week, usually just go running for a half hour and do between 345 miles.

my fastest 5k is 23:00 nothing special but then again i only recently started running, i have a love/hate relationship with it

Back