How many Egg Yolks a day?

SteveX

Nobody F*cks Wit Da Jesus
@Black
Reaction score
For the past two weeks I have been eating 2 whole eggs fried in Olive Oil Sunny Side up in a sandwich with 2 slices of Whole Wheat Toast. It's been great :D

I was reading up on the colestoral of the yolks and while pretty much everyone agrees that the Cholestoral from Yolks isnt really that bad, they don't really tell you if they are talking about only 1 egg yolk.

So my question really is, would eating 2 Whole Eggs fried in Olive Oil every morning for the rest of my life with 2 slices of Whole Wheat Toast (brand I get has 20 carbs, 4g of protein per slice :wink: ) be bad for my health? Should I eat only eat 1 yolk? 1 Yolk every other day?

SteveX said:
For the past two weeks I have been eating 2 whole eggs fried in Olive Oil Sunny Side up in a sandwich with 2 slices of Whole Wheat Toast. It's been great :D

I was reading up on the colestoral of the yolks and while pretty much everyone agrees that the Cholestoral from Yolks isnt really that bad, they don't really tell you if they are talking about only 1 egg yolk.

So my question really is, would eating 2 Whole Eggs fried in Olive Oil every morning for the rest of my life with 2 slices of Whole Wheat Toast (brand I get has 20 carbs, 4g of protein per slice :wink: ) be bad for my health? Should I eat only eat 1 yolk? 1 Yolk every other day?

swallow the egg yolks raw and cook the egg whites in either butter, ghee, coconut oil, or some other saturated fat..

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showthread.php?t=309083

SteveX said:

You're worried about eating two eggs a day?

ghostwipe said:
You're worried about eating two eggs a day?
Up until about five years ago, they were saying 2 egg yolks a week was all you should have.

With the GI revolution exposing glycemic index as the real culprit in high cholesterol, I wouldn't worry about two egg yolks a day. A couple dozen eggs a week should be okay, but I have nothing to back that up, I don't have the latest word on eggs (not that I'm too eager to listen, considering how useful the advice was on the last round).

shadup and eat your eggs. they're good for you.

Madmick said:
Up until about five years ago, they were saying 2 egg yolks a week was all you should have.

With the GI revolution exposing glycemic index as the real culprit in high cholesterol, I wouldn't worry about two egg yolks a day. A couple dozen eggs a week should be okay, but I have nothing to back that up, I don't have the latest word on eggs (not that I'm too eager to listen, considering how useful the advice was on the last round).

Yeah, I don't know how they expect anyone to listen anymore one way or the other with waffling like that.

If you're that concerned about cholesterol, take two eggs and break them into a bowl, add a cup of oatmeal and mix it up. Add milk as needed for consistancy and microwave for 1-2 minutes.

The oatmeal naturally lowers cholesterol so your killin birds with rocks or some shit.

However, if your diet is decent, two eggs ain't gonna kill ya homie, your anxiety might though...

ghostwipe said:
Yeah, I don't know how they expect anyone to listen anymore one way or the other with waffling like that.
Well, part of learning is abdicating old and obsolete beliefs.

The reason I'm not too eager to listen is because I don't think they put it all together. Yes, diets high in cholesterol will lead to higher levels of cholesterol, yet I tend to abandon my more scientific roots when it comes to eggs. I mean, eggs are a favored source of sustenance to carnivores and omnivores.

I'm not making sense. Let me explain myself. When I was a kid they used to recommend fruit juice as a health food. What? I didn't understand it when I was a kid. I heard, sugar= bad, fruit juice= sugar, so I reasoned, fruit juice=bad. And I was right. Without the fiber from the pulp and the skins (which are usually the part of the fruit most dense in vitamins), fruit juice is just vitamin-enriched soda. It's Snapple. It's crap.

Nutritionists were right about sugar, and they were right about fruit, but they didn't get it right the two together. Such, it seems, has been the case with cholesterol.

I am not at all opposed to evolving my beliefs and admitting former ones were wrong; too few people are willing to do this.

I just don't see how a food a species evolved to eat could be that horrible for it. Evolution isn't perfect (example: your appendix), but I don't see that margin for error being possible with sustenance.

I'm willing to listen to the increments of knowledge gained on the subject, but I am humbled, as it were, by the whole and mighty egg.

Madmick said:
I just don't see how a food a species evolved to eat could be that horrible for it.

Overall, I agree with your post. But I had to play Devil's Advocate on the quoted point though.

We didn't really 'evolve' to eat chicken eggs. To my knowledge, early man wasn't consuming a couple of dozen eggs a week. Similarly, early man would glut himself on animal fats and red meat if given the opportunity. That doesn't make it categoricly healthy either.

Whenver I hear about evolution and eating I think of people preaching about the 'cave man diet' (not that you were. Just reminds me of it). The biggest thing ignored here is that early man was lucky to live to 40. Cholesteral and heart attacks were not exactly a factor compared to outright survival of the season.

With a lifespan roughly double that of what man experienced as he was evolving, the involvement of food in evolution can be looked at a bit differently IMO.

One other thing to think about. When considering man as an evolving species, you'd have to look at the passing on of expressed genes more than the lifespan or health of the aging population. Most 40+ year old men have already passed their genes along. And evolution 'cares' a lot less about the health of 65+ year old men who no longer need to support offspring (who will later reproduce) nor will reproduce further themselves.

Okay, so maybe I went off on a bit of a tangent on a small part of your post. Whoops. :redface:

No, you make perfect sense, Kou, it's a good point.

And the danger of imitating nature without understanding why is also a pet peeve of mine, so your devil's advocacy is actually quite divine- I hate that "caveman diet" too.

And I have not made up my mind on eggs. I never will. A mind made up is a mind in chains.

I aspire to think like William Blake (but without going totally fucking looney).

cholesterol bs is a myth, eat as many eggs aw you want, my dad makes medication which are suppose to help you lower the cholesterol levels in your body but only lead to leaver problems...plus he says cholesterol is overrated, how can it be bad for you if your body produces it, eat as many eggs as u want, too much of anything is bad for you its a fact, there is nothing wrong with eggs nor with cholesterol.

I'd go with the simple advice of saying: Moderation in everything.

At one point, as has been stated, eggs were to be limited to three a week...then at another point eggs are a 'perfect food' and are fine to eat. I say, eat your eggs, but don't overdo it...because you never know, maybe in 3 years a study will come out that says that eating 5 eggs a day will make your balls shrivel and your ass harry. Then what will you do when you've been chowing down 30 unborn chicken every day? Everyone will call you Harryass Smallballs and you'll cry in your cornflakes.

were we meant to live 76 years in nature?

If you're that concerned about cholesterol, take two eggs and break them into a bowl, add a cup of oatmeal and mix it up. Add milk as needed for consistancy and microwave for 1-2 minutes.

The oatmeal naturally lowers cholesterol so your killin birds with rocks or some shit.

However, if your diet is decent, two eggs ain't gonna kill ya homie, your anxiety might though...

does that taste good?

I'd go with the simple advice of saying: Moderation in everything.

At one point, as has been stated, eggs were to be limited to three a week...then at another point eggs are a 'perfect food' and are fine to eat. I say, eat your eggs, but don't overdo it...because you never know, maybe in 3 years a study will come out that says that eating 5 eggs a day will make your balls shrivel and your ass harry. Then what will you do when you've been chowing down 30 unborn chicken every day? Everyone will call you Harryass Smallballs and you'll cry in your cornflakes.

I'll just buy a razor and get a girl to shave it for me

And continue to eat my eggs

On a side note- eggs are a traditional food source. Cheap, plentiful, nothing added (in theory).

Although life expectancy has gone up, I don't think you can put that down to people eating less eggs

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/01/080109173717.htm

"
Researchers at Texas A&M University have discovered that lower cholesterol levels can actually reduce muscle gain with exercising. ,

That doesn't really mean anything for health though. Health isn't achieved by having big muslces, its acheived by maintaining homeostasis. I sometimes think this board forgets that. Just like w/ saturated fats being great for test production but not neccessarily healthy in large amounts.

Dude, don't worry about eggs. I was on 20 eggs a day for a while and my profile came out pretty solid when I had my chol checked. I was supposed to be on 36 but I was too lazy.

The high eggs was because I was living with vegetarians and didn't have access to red meat.

edit:
Is there an egg thing in the FAQ?? Seems like this thread comes up every week.

I used to eat 4-5 fried whole eggs (in EVOO) with whole grain bread every day.. now I'm down to 2 since I work out in the morning.

Dietary cholesterol has little to no effect on serum levels

Back