How many days can you go without running before you lose cardio?

I'm taking time off right now because my knee is tripping.... Its been 1 week, probably gonna wait one more week just too make sure. My workouts are not as intense ( I would run 1.5 miles to the gym pre WO) and I feel sluggish... ugh. Also I guess it should be noted that I'm using this period as a muscle gaining period and going real tough on my upper body.

This depends on what you're point for running is. If I'm running sub 6 minute miles (1 to 3 miles per session) then taking more than 4 days cause my next run pace to be significantly slower.

It usually comes back within one or two workouts unless I've taken more than 2 weeks off.

Yes, you can take a week off and feel invigorated.

Interesting to know. I should get educated about proper running rather than just belting out random distances based on my mood and DOMS levels. Do you manage any lifting or other kinds of training with a running regimen like that, though?

Being that I was running in high school, the cross country season, was at the same time as Football, so if I could get a lift in it was usually on monday after practice, but some of the team could get gym memberships and were lifting twice a week at most, but as runners lifting, was not the priority in a short season.

I don't know how you could do that without your knees and shins feeling like shit.
Cold Soak, and proper running shoes. Run , go home and sit in a ice cold tub of H2O.
Another way to not have bad knees is run on grass, or a new track, that has lots of rubber in the mix.

Back