How many days can you go without running before you lose cardio?

John845

White Belt
Reaction score
I run every day during the week, and I usually take weekends off. My only concern is that my cardio suffers if I take too many days off.

So is it safe to take 2-3 days off without losing your form?

Yeah, some people take off a week or so after illnesses and come back faster. Your body NEEDS to recover for multiple days.

Er, yeah, you're gonna lose all your gas if you sit still for a day. In fact, unless you're sherdogging from your mobile phone whilst running, you're losing gas at this very moment. Get running!

Oh crap. I've been sitting for about 20 minutes. I can feel my conditioning just slipping away. Back to the track!

Dude, the OP is probably at an 11 minute mile pace now. WHY ARE YOU NOT SHERDOGGIN YA MOBILE?

i doubt you lose it that quick but I guess it depends on the person

No it takes a prolonged period, like a couple weeks of no exercise and bad diet before you would notice anything and even still it's not drastic, just a gradual decline towards a cardio level in line with what your current physical condition will end up being without constantly exercising at that level.

Personally, running every day isn't good, it's hard on your knee's and you aren't giving your cardio vascular system or your musculoskeletal structure time to recover. At least have one day in between runs. You are better going slow for long distances, are really short intervals it high paces repeatedly. Train smart when it comes to running, very important!

Dude, the OP is probably at an 11 minute mile pace now. WHY ARE YOU NOT SHERDOGGIN YA MOBILE?

Lol. :rolleyes:

More like 5:20.

But thanks for tip.

And flyingarmbar, I usually do 4 1/2 mile runs on Mondays and Wednesdays. I play soccer on Tuesdays and Fridays, on Thursdays I do sprint training, all up hill. So I guess 2 days off on weekends are a good idea then.

It's coming up to 5 weeks off for me, 3 weeks wednesday due to illness and 2 weeks previously because of a knee injury that I was letting rest (I got ill by going back into training a little too hard :icon_cry2).

I don't like how its going to feel when I start running again

*sigh*

At this rate it won't be for another 2 weeks though (fucking virus)

^ So you got cold. I ran through mine. Just meant I came home smothered in mucous from misfired snot-rockets. Get running you big girl's blouse.

If you train and run smart, you can actually run 6 days a week. Their is a science to doing that. The first key is that not every run is the same, nor is it the same distance. Sunday I run 30 min at about 10:00 mile pace. Nice and easy. Monday is usually a hard run at 6:30 pace for 3-4 miles. Tuseday is intervals at 1K 2:30 or 2:40 pace and I do 6 of those. Wednesday is 5k at slower than my actual race pace for a 5k. Thursday is 3-4 miles at just slower than monday pace. Friday is usually a pre-meet type workout, get everything lose and ready for saturday, but if there is no race, it is usually 3 easy miles. Then Saturday is a rest day, and it starts all over. Also on saturday is when i get a bike or swim in as to not be stationary.

^ So you got cold. I ran through mine. Just meant I came home smothered in mucous from misfired snot-rockets. Get running you big girl's blouse.

LOL I wish

Aching limbs, closed up throat, lack of appitite (well, now it has begun to come back but the throat doesn't help, even water is problematic), sweats (even up to sunday just gone I woke up and I thought I pissed the bed, apparently my bird said I was too hot to touch during the night and was shivering). I'm back at work today.

Stupid virus

If you train and run smart, you can actually run 6 days a week. Their is a science to doing that. The first key is that not every run is the same, nor is it the same distance. Sunday I run 30 min at about 10:00 mile pace. Nice and easy. Monday is usually a hard run at 6:30 pace for 3-4 miles. Tuseday is intervals at 1K 2:30 or 2:40 pace and I do 6 of those. Wednesday is 5k at slower than my actual race pace for a 5k. Thursday is 3-4 miles at just slower than monday pace. Friday is usually a pre-meet type workout, get everything lose and ready for saturday, but if there is no race, it is usually 3 easy miles. Then Saturday is a rest day, and it starts all over. Also on saturday is when i get a bike or swim in as to not be stationary.

Interesting to know. I should get educated about proper running rather than just belting out random distances based on my mood and DOMS levels. Do you manage any lifting or other kinds of training with a running regimen like that, though?

I used to worry that taking a week off from cardio work meant I'd be out of shape, until I realised that I actually got faster.

I went on holiday around the world for a month. Partied and ate like a mofo. Did a lot of walking but not High intensity stuff

When i got back the first couple of times getting back into conditioning were a bit tough but you get it back really quick.

Conditioning RE-gained is much easier than conditioning gained the first time around (unless you sit on your behind for like a year).

Now just 2 weeks later i am back to say 85%.

According to Bruce Lee it's a few days before your cardio goes back to normal- which is why he brought running shoes with him wherever he went so he could stay in peak condition.

The most time I ever took off from running was about a month while on vacation, I came back and I could barely do a mile.

im also very interested in this question

i took a month off and felt like shit when i got back to training

iv taken a week off recently and seen a decline but not too bad

No it takes a prolonged period, like a couple weeks of no exercise and bad diet before you would notice anything and even still it's not drastic, just a gradual decline towards a cardio level in line with what your current physical condition will end up being without constantly exercising at that level.

Personally, running every day isn't good, it's hard on your knee's and you aren't giving your cardio vascular system or your musculoskeletal structure time to recover. At least have one day in between runs. You are better going slow for long distances, are really short intervals it high paces repeatedly. Train smart when it comes to running, very important!

sage advice

I feel it after a week off with no cardio. 2 weeks off and it's a real battle for me to get back to where I was.

Then again, I am 47 so things are slowing down a little.

I don't know how you could do that without your knees and shins feeling like shit.

Back