How long can you survive on just booze and food?

Aegon Spengler

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Hey Mayberry

How long could a person survive without water, if they had booze (40% or higher, has to be a spirit) and food? And lets say the food isn't full of water either, so no Watermelon, oranges, etc. Booze dehydrates you, but if it is only 40% alcohol then I presume the other 60% is water?

I'm asking because I saw this:

6080688_700b_v1.jpg

and I'm curious as to if its possible, and if it is, for how long?

Bogart was a bad ass that's why.

I think my friend's dad has been surviving on silver bullets and the occasional glass of wine since the 60s.

Aren't you pretty much talking about Russia?
68.8 Years

lol, good answers thus far

I wonder how long a motivated BJ Penn could survive on just booze

Last edited:
Back in the middle ages people ONLY drank beer at certain times because the alcohol killed whatever got them sick in the water.

Hey Mayberry

How long could a person survive without water, if they had booze (40% or higher, has to be a spirit) and food? And lets say the food isn't full of water either, so no Watermelon, oranges, etc. Booze dehydrates you, but if it is only 40% alcohol then I presume the other 60% is water?

I'm asking because I saw this:

6080688_700b_v1.jpg

and I'm curious as to if its possible, and if it is, for how long?

more food is water rich than u think my grandad survived till 78 on that diet and ut was the ***s that killed him not the diet or boze

The spirits were always mixed in with many more parts water in order to purify it. I dont think you would survive long if you just drank spirits.

I heard the English only drank wine (in place of water) back in the 1600's/1700's (or the frilly era). Is that the right timeframe? Any Brits that can confirm this? Supposedly fresh water wasn't available/practical in all places, so

So for wine, I think it's possible at least.

In past centuries when the only water the poor could get was likely to make you sick even the children drank beer. However, it wasn't the type of beer you get today. It had very little alcohol in it for a start.

Small beer.

Before public sanitation, cholera and other water-transmitted diseases were a significant cause of death. Because alcohol is toxic to most water-borne pathogens, and because the process of brewing any beer from malt involves boiling the water, which also kills them, drinking small beer instead of water was one way to escape infection. It was not uncommon for workers (including sailors) who engaged in heavy physical labour to drink more than 10 Imperial pints (5.7 litres) of small beer during a workday to maintain their hydration level. This was usually provided free as part of their working conditions, it being recognised that maintaining hydration was essential for optimal performance.

To try and live on modern booze like that would make you an alcoholic.

Last edited:
How long can you survive on just booze and food?

Well, if you drink enough, you won't care what the answer is

Depending how you define living, if you think living with a brain like a raisin is living, you could live for a good while.

W C Fields made it 66 years.

He once said when asked if he wanted water "I never touch the filthy stuff. Fish fornicate in it!"

He drank gin. He told his doctor he drank a quart a day. His doctor asked his housekeeper if that was true. She said he was lying. The doctor said he thought so because nobody could survive drinking a quart of gin a day. She said he drank more like 2 quarts a day.

Back