How long before fight do you stop heavy lifting?

FStep

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
assuming weight cut is not an issue, how far out do you cut the heavy weights and focus on conditioning?

edit: this is for amateur mma

I would defer to your coach and trust his guidance leading up to the fight. But FWIW our BJJ coach is a retired PFL fighter and sparring partner of a retired UFC top contender (who also trains at our gym sometimes) and he advises no weight lifting within 2 weeks of the fight. I've also observed both of them getting ready for fights and they did a lot of plyometrics and explosion drills like flinging a medicine ball, box jumps, swinging a bulgarian bag, etc. without much (if any) heavy barbell training during fight camp. In principle, coach says lifting heavy to build your strength base is something you do between fights, not during fight camp when emphasis should be on conditioning and technique.

Having also rolled with those guys for years, the biggest physical difference between them and scrubs like me who lift weights (aside from elite level technique) is explosion, not static strength. They're both strong guys but their SBD is in the average gym bro range.

The last week do like 70–75% on the lifts for a few sets
why are you still lifting the week of the fight? you're not gaining any strength at that point.

I remember my muay thai coach would even have us stop doing pushups 4 days out.

assuming weight cut is not an issue, how far out do you cut the heavy weights and focus on conditioning?

edit: this is for amateur mma
Its individual. Most would stop lifting anything decent 2-4 out. Ammy would depend on how often you are fighting and what level ammy. I would personally consider doing a deload 2 weeks out and not lift the week of the figth, but that's theoretical.

BJJ comps I just line it up on a deload week if possible dependinding on the level.

why are you still lifting the week of the fight? you're not gaining any strength at that point.

I remember my muay thai coach would even have us stop doing pushups 4 days out.
Different coaches have different philosophies. Doing 2-3 sets at 70-75% sets so that you do not lose strength is not going to detract from anything or overtrain you and takes about 10 minutes to do.

Ideally If you are an ammy who started as an adult you should not be lifting at all because your technical level is low so all should be put into that.

But all pros and international level ammys stopped around 2 to 3 weeks at my gym

Ideally If you are an ammy who started as an adult you should not be lifting at all because your technical level is low so all should be put into that.

But all pros and international level ammys stopped around 2 to 3 weeks at my gym
I know you're experienced
and I know this board over emphasizes strength
but I disagree with your comment that an amateur should not be lifting at all. There is diminishing returns with everything but a base level of strength training provides huge benefits.

I know you're experienced
and I know this board over emphasizes strength
but I disagree with your comment that an amateur should not be lifting at all. There is diminishing returns with everything but a base level of strength training provides huge benefits.

A bit detailed answer

If you start in twenties and limit yourself to regional fights sure, skill level is not that high generally so you can out muscle people

If you start in twenties to fight seriously or want to "go all the way" then its all about skill training

You will be going up against people who started somewhere between 5 to 15 years old. They have tens of thousands correctly made technique repetitions where angry coach yells at them when their pinky toe is in wrong position when shooting a double leg takedown. Their fighting styles honed to ones fitting them in ammy fights as teens.

This technical difference comes up constantly in international ammy level, like in IMMAF tournament adult starters usually get kod in first fights because skill level is too different. You will have to catch this difference in technique since they got head start of about 5 to 15 years

But this is just my opinion lol , im not against lifting and understand benefits but all depends person we are dealing with

Shit i might be completely wrong as well lol

Last edited:
Back