How large is your training area?

Barazi M G

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
For those of you who train in Brazilian Jiujitsu or submission wrestling...

I'm wondering how large the training area is? Not the entire gym but just the matt area that you train on. Where I train I think it's about as big as my living room so I'm guessing 350 square feet. I heard some places have 1500 square feet. What about you?

I'd say Rickson's west LA school has about 1750 square feet (approx 50' x 35') of Swain mats, maybe slightly less area than that.

I have a 13' x 13' square of Zebra mats in my garage, which is enough for a single pair to grapple on.

10x10 Mat in my garage. The studio I train at has probably 20x 40.

Why do you guys have mats at home? Do you live far away from your gym, or just have friends near by to roll with?
Either way i'm not sure what my gym has sorry to hijack.

I wish I could put a mat in my house but I only feel really comfortable asking like 2 or 3 guys from the gym to my house. At least for now that is.

Our Mat area is like half/third of a basketball playing area.

I have mats in my garage so that I can roll with a few guys from the academy occasionally outside of formal classes. I don't actually use them too much anymore, but bought them within a year after first starting BJJ. I was so into it that I wanted to train more, on my own time. The mats were quite expensive, about $110 per mat (I have 8 mats).

Right now probably about 20ft x 20ft or so.
Because of a major upgrade by the owner of the building I train in: soon to be 42ft x 42ft of sprung tatami covered floor. Plus at least 10 huge crash pads. Oh yeah baby!

Our facility is a 5,000 square foot area, with 2,500 square feet of mat.
All of the classes are held on Zebra tatami safety mats.

just picked up 5' x 5' of jigsaw mats at the local market for $10 aus.
Only problem is they're multi-colored, pretty small, and covered with letters of the alphabet.
Don't think they were designed for grappling. LOL
Probably never use em, just cracked up when I saw them and thought, 10 bux, fuck it, I'll grab em. The old greek guy kept asking how old my child was.
Just imagining walking into an academy to see it full of kid's alphabet jigsaw mats.
:p

My BJJ class is taught on the aerobics floor at my health club. We use zebra mats that cover an area slgihtly larger than half a regulation bball court.

The total area is 30' X 50' (or 1500 sq feet); which leaves plenty of space for large classes. It consists of a wood frame and recycled modern field sports surface material covered with stretched canvas for a smooth, even surface.

The custom built floor that was inspired by traditional Japanese martial art tatami mats. Designed to protect a martial artist from injury during grappling, falling and ground fighting, the floor provides a surface that builds leg strength and balance while minimizing impact to the joints and ligaments.

I love it better then any olymipc style mat I have been on.

I don't know the exact square footage, but there is enough room for 20-25 people to roll with enough room

ClubberLange said:
just picked up 5' x 5' of jigsaw mats at the local market for $10 aus.
Only problem is they're multi-colored, pretty small, and covered with letters of the alphabet.
Don't think they were designed for grappling. LOL
Probably never use em, just cracked up when I saw them and thought, 10 bux, fuck it, I'll grab em. The old greek guy kept asking how old my child was.
Just imagining walking into an academy to see it full of kid's alphabet jigsaw mats.
:p
i dont know why but that last part had me laughing

Back