How is Volkanovski too fast for featherweights but too slow against a lightweight?

Reach is probably a factor. When you are fighting a good striker who is taller and has longer limbs, you have to be that much quicker to get at them.
Volk had a 1 inch reach advantage over Islam. But the height difference probably more than made up for it.

Max knocked volk down with a high kick.

Featherweights aren't that good right now.
- Zombie, mendes, and aldo were on the tail ends of their career
- Ortega just sucks, no hands
- Yair lucked his way into a title shot. No ground game
- max is one dimensional

Islam is well rounded

Islam isn't faster. The better striker isn't always faster. It's pretty amazing how good a striker Islam is and he isn't fancy at all.

Was off the couch n no where near ready to fight. Was a dumb decision by Volk

Max can't kick and doesn't wrestle offensively so all Volk has to focus on are his hands. He was basically fighting a boxer. Korean Zombie was so past his prime, he might as well be a completely different fighter. Ortega dropped and almost finished him. Yair has no wrestling and no boxing. In all those fights he focused on the one thing his opponent was good at (Max, boxing; Yair, kicking, etc). Islam is a great wrestler that's also a very good counter-puncher and a decent kicker.

Volk is also packing more weight than he does at FW. Those 8-10lbs he weighs more are enough to make him slower. If he fought Max with his LW weight, he probably would have lost.

Islams hips are almost at Volks chest height ffs plus he has to think so god damn much about defending the rasslin constantly

I'm really baffled as to how Volk practically has ultra instinct against the likes of Korean Zombie and Max Holloway who is one of the GOAT FWs, yet Islam caught him multiple times in the first fight, then again with 2 head kicks in the second fight.

I don't get it.

Threat of the takedown

I'm really baffled as to how Volk practically has ultra instinct against the likes of Korean Zombie and Max Holloway who is one of the GOAT FWs, yet Islam caught him multiple times in the first fight, then again with 2 head kicks in the second fight.

I don't get it.

He's overrated and been bound for a KO with his single arm defense. Max dropped him and they still robbed max. Biggest thing in the fight. By robbing max, he never fixed his weakness.

Single arm takes some impact off but kicks push through.

Rd1 ko is definitive. Stupid move on short notice. Admirable but not smart.

No camp and coming off surgery and on vacation with his family. Was literally partying with his friends and not even thinking about fighting. Volk looked every bit unprepared in the cage. Probably worst decision of his career to take this fight.

Yep, I reeeeally hope they offered him some good money because he shat the bed career wise as far as i'm concerned right now. I hope I am wrong.

Weight classes exist for a reason are you good at featherweight and don’t struggle to cut weight at FW then your gonna be average at LW, Volk only did good against Islam the first time because of the strict rehydration rules

Islam is one of the most underrated strikers in the ufc, he is easily one of the best counter strikers and timing in the ufc

As others have said, Islam's timing is incredible as seen with his counters in the first fight. Volk isn't too slow for Islam.

Also Blocking head kicks with only one arm is dangerous

This is the next thing MMA fighters need to improve on. They've started developing leg kick defense more commonly due to how fight changing just a few calf kicks can be, but they're all still blocking head kicks with just one hand.

Reactions: HHJ
He got caught. But lslams striking is underrated, he's an elite striker

lol at 10 days prep
these guys train all year round
basicaly hopping around against a guy like islam is bad
hed get taken down easily
and lol at people thinking about the size difference
its just an excuse to a loss
Untitled.png

Back