How important was it for Conor's legacy to rematch Nate?

andy9432

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Yesterday and today i've been become obsessed with UFC 202. Through all the hype and everything, ive been thinking about why Conor needed the rematch. I remember after 196 that many people abandoned him. I was also a hater before 196 and i wanted Nate Diaz to win, but i also wanted to see how Conor responded to adversity. Everyone doubted him. The media, the fans, the fighters.

He had height, reach, size disadvantage. He got bullied by Nate the first fight, and he had to conquer his inner demons. Conor's face changed drastically after 196. You could see the darkness in his eyes. He literally aged 10+ years in a few months. I also believe that Conor intentionally skipped the press conference to train 1,5 months extra. I think those months swung the decision in Conor's favour.

In my eyes, his performance at 202 will ALWAYS be the best achievementhe did, even better than 205. In 202 he showed everything, heart, will, skill, determination, and he didn't quit in there which he did in the first fight. Look at Ronda for example. She trademarked fearthereturn, and she didnt even rematch the girl who KO'ed her. That says alot about Conor's character. I have also got my ass kicked back in high school, and i wanted no part of a rematch whatsoever.

Conor's performance at 202 should IMO be the performance of the year.

Lets not forget the fact that Nate was at least 220lbs in the cage.

Imperative. Last fight was a draw imo and 3rd fight needs to happen, if not for validation, for Connors massive ego.

Imperative. Last fight was a draw imo and 3rd fight needs to happen, if not for validation, for Connors massive ego.
I agree that a 3rd fight needs to happen, BUT you have to agree even if it was a draw in your eyes, that it was a massive stepup from quitting the first fight to getting choked the fuck out.

He has none.
A belt that got stripped because he was unwilling to defend it, and a phony belt from a gifted TS.

It was very important. 196 was a great fight but for Conor it took a lot of the wind out of his sails. Getting that win back and doing so in a war, it brought him right back to where he was before. It set him up to smash Alvarez for the belt. I do believe he would have KO'd RDA had he not pulled out, but I'm glad things turned out the way they did.

If I didn't know what happened at 202, reading this I would have thought Conor killed Nate Diaz.

Your story is great, the problem I take with it is he was lucky to get a rematch. Many people lose fights through mistake, not taking it seriously etc. and don't get gifted rematches.

In saying that, when his legacy is all said and done, 202 was a huge night for him.

If I didn't know what happened at 202, reading this I would have thought Conor killed Nate Diaz.

Your story is great, the problem I take with it is he was lucky to get a rematch. Many people lose fights through mistake, not taking it seriously etc. and don't get gifted rematches.

In saying that, when his legacy is all said and done, 202 was a huge night for him.

Lucky to get a rematch? He didn't even have to step up and take a fight when RDA pulled out but he did. Considering that, and what he brings to the company, the rematch made the most sense. Also 196 was a back and forth fight Conor clearly dominated him in the first round it's not like it was a blowout.

Nate would have won the second fight if there was more time left, Conor was fading and he got taken down at the end, Nate would habe subed him again 100%!

With no time limit Conor always loses to Nate.

Massive. One of GSPs best qualities is that he beat the 2 guys who beat him in rematches. (Hendricks loss asside).

Nate would have won the second fight if there was more time left, Conor was fading and he got taken down at the end, Nate would habe subed him again 100%!

With no time limit Conor always loses to Nate.

In Pride rules Conor would do the river dance all over Nates head when he dropped him 3 times. This fantasy world is fun.

It was extremely important for him to a have future at lightweight. He could have just gone back to featherweight and he/his fan's would always have the argument that he only lost to Nate because he was outside his natural weight class. Even today he and his fan's act like Nate is massively bigger than Conor when in reality they are similar sized men, Nate being taller and Conor carrying a bit more muscle.

Conor lost to a middle of the road lighweight, then got a close (maybe gifted) decision against him. I just can't take him seriously. Can't beat up Nate Diaz? Lol, don't care dude.

In Pride rules Conor would do the river dance all over Nates head when he dropped him 3 times. This fantasy world is fun.
In PRIDE the fight would be more physical and this clearly favors Nate, Conor needs space for his movement and takedown defense, no fence saves him from the takedown.

Back