How important was it for Conor's legacy to rematch Nate?

Yesterday and today i've been become obsessed with UFC 202. Through all the hype and everything, ive been thinking about why Conor needed the rematch. I remember after 196 that many people abandoned him. I was also a hater before 196 and i wanted Nate Diaz to win, but i also wanted to see how Conor responded to adversity. Everyone doubted him. The media, the fans, the fighters.

He had height, reach, size disadvantage. He got bullied by Nate the first fight, and he had to conquer his inner demons. Conor's face changed drastically after 196. You could see the darkness in his eyes. He literally aged 10+ years in a few months. I also believe that Conor intentionally skipped the press conference to train 1,5 months extra. I think those months swung the decision in Conor's favour.

In my eyes, his performance at 202 will ALWAYS be the best achievementhe did, even better than 205. In 202 he showed everything, heart, will, skill, determination, and he didn't quit in there which he did in the first fight. Look at Ronda for example. She trademarked fearthereturn, and she didnt even rematch the girl who KO'ed her. That says alot about Conor's character. I have also got my ass kicked back in high school, and i wanted no part of a rematch whatsoever.

Conor's performance at 202 should IMO be the performance of the year.
It was important for Conor to bring a bicycle to his rematch with Nate.

Lucky to get a rematch? He didn't even have to step up and take a fight when RDA pulled out but he did. Considering that, and what he brings to the company, the rematch made the most sense. Also 196 was a back and forth fight Conor clearly dominated him in the first round it's not like it was a blowout.

Lucky may be a bit strong. But if everyone who lost got the instant rematch they demanded, every two cards would be exactly the same.

Lest we forget the retirement, his failure to adhere to his contract, the social media posts shitting on his employers etc. The UFC could have easily denied it him, not saying they did him a favour, they got a boat load of cash in return, but they could have made an example of him if they wanted to.

Conor lost to a middle of the road lighweight, then got a close (maybe gifted) decision against him. I just can't take him seriously. Can't beat up Nate Diaz? Lol, don't care dude.

So you can't take Aldo, Cruz or any guy featherweight or smaller seriously? At what weight class do you start taking guys seriously? Only heavy weights?

The darkness in his eyes seems a little dramatic, don't you think?

Even today he and his fan's act like Nate is massively bigger than Conor when in reality they are similar sized men, Nate being taller and Conor carrying a bit more muscle.

Nate is 6' tall, Conor is 5'9 if he's lucky. And let's not pretend Nate is some skinny punk.

195958_60_news_hub_multi_630x0.jpg

Nate is 6' tall, Conor is 5'9 if he's lucky. And let's not pretend Nate is some skinny punk.

View attachment 180107
W9gzXhG.png

Lucky to get a rematch? He didn't even have to step up and take a fight when RDA pulled out but he did. Considering that, and what he brings to the company, the rematch made the most sense. Also 196 was a back and forth fight Conor clearly dominated him in the first round it's not like it was a blowout.

He got slapped, clinched, knee'd, rocked and choked out. It was a blowout.

What would've made the most sense was for him to go back down and defend his belt. Like he was supposed to do all along.

Instead he gets a rematch he had no business getting in the first place. Gets gifted a decision "win" against a guy ranked outside the top 5 he just lost to and that somehow translated into a title fight? Gtfo here.

So you can't take Aldo, Cruz or any guy featherweight or smaller seriously? At what weight class do you start taking guys seriously? Only heavy weights?

Well , lightweight and above are worth consideration, I suppose. But Conor Is middle of the road lightweight. Not very interesting,

It was extremely important for him to a have future at lightweight. He could have just gone back to featherweight and he/his fan's would always have the argument that he only lost to Nate because he was outside his natural weight class. Even today he and his fan's act like Nate is massively bigger than Conor when in reality they are similar sized men, Nate being taller and Conor carrying a bit more muscle.
Nate was obviously 20-25 pounds heavier than he was in his LW fights, making him that much heavier than Conor. When Nate cuts to 155, THAT'S when they're similar sized.

Nate was obviously 20-25 pounds heavier than he was in his LW fights, making him that much heavier than Conor. When Nate cuts to 155, THAT'S when they're similar sized.
I don't think he was that much heavier. More like 10-15 lbs heavier. Nate definately had some weight on Conor though.

He got slapped, clinched, knee'd, rocked and choked out. It was a blowout.

What would've made the most sense was for him to go back down and defend his belt. Like he was supposed to do all along.

Instead he gets a rematch he had no business getting in the first place. Gets gifted a decision "win" against a guy ranked outside the top 5 he just lost to and that somehow translated into a title fight? Gtfo here.
He earned the LW titleshot by beating Aldo, Nate was just a detour because RDA pulled out. And if you think that was a "gifted" decision, you're delusional. It was the easiest fight ever to score. Only arguable thing is how many points Conor won by.

Well , lightweight and above are worth consideration, I suppose. But Conor Is middle of the road lightweight. Not very interesting,

Even the Conor haters on this forum think Conor is a better then even chance against all the LWs apart from Khabib. Middle of the road is a terrible call. You are just looking for attention or trolling. Eddie is no real champion but Conor treated him like a child. If it was anyone else but Conor that did that to Eddie you would be talking about how he's going to destroy Conor ffs

Conor comfortably beats Nate at LW anyway imo.

I don't think he was that much heavier. More like 10-15 lbs heavier. Nate definately had some weight on Conor though.
079_Nathan_Diaz_vs_Michael_Johnson.0.0.jpg

Nate-Diaz-Conor-McGregor-202.png

He's definitely heavier by more than 10-15 pounds. He looks like a different man. His face looks different (and not just because of all the damage), he's got a lot more meat on his torso, arms, etc.

Yesterday and today i've been become obsessed with UFC 202. Through all the hype and everything, ive been thinking about why Conor needed the rematch. I remember after 196 that many people abandoned him. I was also a hater before 196 and i wanted Nate Diaz to win, but i also wanted to see how Conor responded to adversity. Everyone doubted him. The media, the fans, the fighters.

He had height, reach, size disadvantage. He got bullied by Nate the first fight, and he had to conquer his inner demons. Conor's face changed drastically after 196. You could see the darkness in his eyes. He literally aged 10+ years in a few months. I also believe that Conor intentionally skipped the press conference to train 1,5 months extra. I think those months swung the decision in Conor's favour.

In my eyes, his performance at 202 will ALWAYS be the best achievementhe did, even better than 205. In 202 he showed everything, heart, will, skill, determination, and he didn't quit in there which he did in the first fight. Look at Ronda for example. She trademarked fearthereturn, and she didnt even rematch the girl who KO'ed her. That says alot about Conor's character. I have also got my ass kicked back in high school, and i wanted no part of a rematch whatsoever.

Conor's performance at 202 should IMO be the performance of the year.

It was very important for his legacy because now he has regained the momentum he had coming from the 7-0 (6 KO/TKO) run at featherweight in the UFC.

He earned the LW titleshot by beating Aldo, Nate was just a detour because RDA pulled out. And if you think that was a "gifted" decision, you're delusional. It was the easiest fight ever to score. Only arguable thing is how many points Conor won by.

He should've never gotten a LW title shot for beating Aldo in the first place. Not a single title defense at FW or a win at LW and he got gifted a title shot against RDA? Okay.

If Cody Garbage wins the belt against Cruz next weekend he won't have to defend his belt and he'll automatically get a shot at Aldo in a division he's never fought in cause that's how it works apparently.

Conor fans... always bringing up Nates size advantage. What about the size advantage Conor had over nearly everyone in FW? Dude looked bigger than Eddie as well at 155... but those don't count.

Back