How I see Aldo/Mcgregor going

120wrestling

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Let me just say that this is my opinion, I like both guys but don't favor one or the other so I looked at this as non bias as possible. There are more Aldo gifs than Mcgregors because I have a hard time finding gifs of his that relate to what im saying

Striking
Power: Conor Mcgregor. Conor gets this, he's been dropping people and has crazy power in his left. The way he's hurt Mendes, and Poirier really shows how dangerous his combinations are. It's been a while since Aldo's really dropped someone and hurt them, (his fight with Mendes he dropped him) but Chad easily recovered. If Conor finds his range I think he will hurt Aldo very bad a try to look for a finish
tumblr_nrcyjpgkWB1rofocqo1_500.gif

Speed: Easily goes to Aldo, Aldo is easily the most explosive striker in the UFC. Never telegraphs his punches and they always come out fast and unexpected, he's a counter striker so usually when guys come in the pocket, they get blasted with fast combo's that have them tentative later on.
aldo%2Bkd.gif

Chin/Recovery: This one goes to no one, both guys seem to maintain their composure when hit with big shots and never seem to get rocked. Aldo's been dropped only by Chad Mendes but managed to get up unfazed and was hit by a huge upper cut that didn't take him off his feet. Chad also blasted Conor a few times on the feet, and Mcgregor also looked like he was fine.
ThoughtfulImpracticalJay.gif

Striking defence: Aldo. Aldo get's tagged up a bit in his fights, but his superior head movement speed will help him avoid getting blasted like Chad did. Conor has gotten hit with big shots in most of his fights but his chin is granite and he fights long to avoid getting hit (Good example in the Brimage fight)
aldoheadmovement00.gif

Prediction: I think whoever can impose their style best will win the striking exchanges, Conor's stance concerns me against someone like Aldo, his leg has been kicked out a few times by Siver and Dustin, both guys who kick nothing like Aldo. Aldo should try to take Conor's leg out to slow him down and take a bit of power off his punches. Conor will catch Aldo with some huge shots imo, and it's all about if he can recover. If Aldo uses his leg kicks and doesn't stand in front of Conor, he could win a UD.

Grapplng
Wrestling: Aldo. I doubt this fight goes to the ground at all, but if it does I think Aldo could take Conor down. As a wrestler myself, Conor's hips are good, but Aldo's are just crazy. Conor's wrestling is severely lacking to his striking in my opinion, he was taken down once by Siver...who wasn't much of a wrestler and toyed around by Chad before Conor lit him up on the feet. Conor's offensive wrestling is never seen, and if Chad has problems taking Aldo down and even holding him there. I don't think Conor will ever think about taking him down. If it goes to the ground, Conor will be on his back

Submissions: Aldo. Aldo is a BJJ black belt and when Conor was on his back against Chad, it didn't look like he was comfortable there, he was trying to get stood up, didn't go for submissions and much prefers to strike. Smart thing for Aldo to take him down and batter him there, maybe threaten him with subs.

Prediction: While Aldo has gotten more nods in the criteria, it doesn't really say much about how the fight is going to go, Conor's got the most technical striking in the division, and Aldo never goes to the ground.Both guys don't crumble under pressure and keep moving forward, Conor really shut a lot of people up when he was wrestle f--cked by Chad, but got back up and took him out. Both guys have heart and a solid chins. Conor's lead leg imo will get battered, and I think Conor will capitalize on Aldo in the later rounds when his gas tank fades. If Aldo utilizes leg kicks, takedowns, top control, and comes in with a good gas tank I easily see him winning a Unanimous Decision. If he comes in angry and tries to stand in front of Conor...we'll have a new FW Champ. I think Aldo's smarter than that so i'll call it, Jose Aldo def Conor Mcgregor via Unan Dec.

Give me your thoughts guys!

Oh yes, the myth of the gassing Aldo.

The only fight where he looked bad in the fifth round was vs. hominick and that was due to illness. He won the fifth rounds vs all of his other opponents when they went the distance.

The only fight where he looked bad in the fifth round was vs. hominick and that was due to illness. He won the fifth rounds vs all of his other opponents when they went the distance.

He does not gas anymore because he adopted the strategy of taking entire rounds off, essentially. Check out his recent fight with Mendes for reference. Watch the difference in output and approach from round 1 to round 2. He has consistently done this since the Hominick fight.

Pretty solid breakdown.

Nice breakdown man, not much to disagree with there.

Blame Rogan for that one, he brought up the 5th round vs Hominik in pretty much every Aldo fight.

He does not gas anymore because he adopted the strategy of taking entire rounds off, essentially. Check out his recent fight with Mendes for reference. Watch the difference in output and approach from round 1 to round 2. He has consistently done this since the Hominick fight.

I think it lends to his style of fighting. He has extremely fast reactions and exploded with everything he does, I don't think it's possible to do that for 5 rounds straight without taking EPO. So it's understandable that Aldo lets his foot off the gas and coasts in the pre-championship rounds in order to really put some output in the 4-5th rounds.

But idk

True, I think if he comes in Chad Mendes 2 fight shape, Cardio won't be a problem.

I think it lends to his style of fighting. He has extremely fast reactions and exploded with everything he does, I don't think it's possible to do that for 5 rounds straight without taking EPO. So it's understandable that Aldo lets his foot off the gas and coasts in the pre-championship rounds in order to really put some output in the 4-5th rounds.

But idk

I agree. I am not saying it is something he should not do, I am simply pointing out why he has been able to maintain his gas tank a bit better in recent history. Aldo cannot maintain his style without those breaks. It is not possible as he uses far too much muscle in his technique.

Blame Rogan for that one, he brought up the 5th round vs Hominik in pretty much every Aldo fight.

True, and in typical shertard fashion, the majority of the bozos on here parrot that same shit.

It is honestly bordering on insanity. There are some jackasses that claim hominick had full mount on Aldo in that fight. Their stupidity is astounding.

Pretty solid breakdown of skills TS. I think they're going in with a 50/50 shot each and I'm surprised at a lot of people that think aldo has no chance at all.

Solid break down.

You'll have some guys from both sides come and argue it but yeah, good breakdown.

I'm going to add that if Aldo comes in there angry like he gets when he gets hit with a good shot, he will for sure get finished. But if Aldo actually comes in reserved and smart, he probably gets the decision.

Aldo will come out guns blazing though and get put down I think.

I agree. I am not saying it is something he should not do, I am simply pointing out why he has been able to maintain his gas tank a bit better in recent history. Aldo cannot maintain his style without those breaks. It is not possible as he uses far too much muscle in his technique.

Definetly, the only problem is I'm not sure if he can exactly do that with Conor. Conor will be in his face the whole time and it's clear that the punches Chad hit Conor with didn't make him fearful or tentative, so I don't think he'll be worried about taking shots from Jose.

I don't think Conor will allow Aldo any time to relax and keep himself fresh.

I think Aldo is going to be pressured by Conor the whole fight, his gas tank needs to be Grade A for this fight.

I agree with the breakdown. No telling how it will play out. That's where the fun is in the fight game. One or the other may not get to do what they do best. It could end quick or go the distance which could present some wildcards. I can't wait to see it.

I think Aldo could've come out angry and vulnerable had they met the first time. He was fairly invested, emotionally.

This time around, it's game over. I don't see him losing his focus and "desire to avoid damage". Guy is gonna slip a lot of things, and counter a lot of things. No reason to conclude he doesn't win this via all the other tools to win that he has over Conor.

Secretly rooting for the Irishman though. I like underdogs, and he should be in this fight.

Conors a southpaw and will Shut down aldos kicking game with his stance and have him backpedalling all fight he will throw constant kicks,high kickk,teeps to the knee and body and spinning back kicks.

I agree aldos gameplan will involve takdowns and top control but,conor has a tore mcl and didnt train wrestling for months and went up against the best wrestler in his divison.Stopped several takedowns and got up from every takedown.

I'm rooting for Conor but I don't see he putting Aldo away with a punch as he said he could, Aldo has a great chin, it may take various shot to incapacitate him

Good breakdown. I think it comes down to whether or not Aldo stands in front of him, eating kicks to the body and getting worn down. If he moves and uses his leg kicks, the fight is his to lose.

I'm rooting for Conor but I don't see he putting Aldo away with a punch as he said he could, Aldo has a great chin, it may take various shot to incapacitate him

It's hard for me to even imagine Aldo doing the chicken dance and struggling to stand while shelled up. I just can't actually make him do that in my imagination.

I won't know what to do if it happens. I'll probably just black out.

Lamas. But yea, his gas tank is fine.

It's hard for me to even imagine Aldo doing the chicken dance and struggling to stand while shelled up. I just can't actually make him do that in my imagination.

I won't know what to do if it happens. I'll probably just black out.

Yeah, that would be mind-blowing if Conor could do that, I only remember being shocked like that when Silva front kicked Belfort into bolivian

I think he lost the 5th round against Lamas, IIRC.

Definetly, the only problem is I'm not sure if he can exactly do that with Conor. Conor will be in his face the whole time and it's clear that the punches Chad hit Conor with didn't make him fearful or tentative, so I don't think he'll be worried about taking shots from Jose.

I don't think Conor will allow Aldo any time to relax and keep himself fresh.

I think Aldo is going to be pressured by Conor the whole fight, his gas tank needs to be Grade A for this fight.

I completely agree. I think Aldo's response to Conor's pressure is likely the most important thing in this fight.

conor may be too big for aldo.

if they were the same size i would pick aldo easy.

This is exactly how I see this fight. It all depends on how it starts. In my opinion, Aldo needs to meet Conor in the middle of the cage at the first round and not allow him to back him against the cage. Make Conor respect his hands immediately and then go back to counter-fighting

Good breakdown. I was expecting another BoxingIsLife thread of bullshit, but I was pleasantly surprised.

I dont think the leg kicks will work as much as some think. In addition to the technical difficulties associated with leg kicking a south paw from orthodox, Conor just puts way to much pressure on fighters and completely rewires their brain. Max Holloway just put the most epic of stand up beatings on Swanson, the person who many considered the finest striker @ 145, and Conor absolutely fried his brain, thought pattern and output. for example, there are a ton of amateurs who look great hitting pads, but what separates a great pro from amateur is that they look great when the pads are hitting back.

The biggest issue: We have seen Conor mostly always being a hammer but became a nail against Chad for a while and we saw him rally back, with a confidence and conviction that has really never been seen in the UFC before. We have never really witnessed Jose really be a nail, outside of brief moments in the Chad fight and he was constantly looking at the ref for a way out. His mental game appears to be very weak while the beating is being put on him, and like his teammate Barao, I expect him to completely wither. his brain to start shutting down and to get cornered in to that straight left on Conor's.

So far, if you want to know how the fight will likely turn out, just listen to what Conor says. I didn't buy the hype for a long time but the guy is incredibly cerebral in his approach and has an eye for these things. I'm not so much talking about the round in which he picks the KO (which has been impressive) but the method in which the fight ends. Just a he said he would gas Chad and then put him away, he said Jose will turn into a grappler after the first exchange, experience pressure and precision like never before and look for a way out.

I've always felt Jose was going to win every fight, from the Brown fight up til now, but something feels very, very different in this fight. Cecil the Lion is dead, the old king of the jungle has been murdered, had his head removed and has since replaced by some new king in this, the year of our lord 2015.

I think he will stand and exchange with Conor.

aug 2015... didn't read. 10/10 recycled material

tl,dr breakdown: Aldo is superior everywhere, except for reach.

I agree with most of TS's breakdown except for speed. I think that is either or maybe even a slight edge to Conor. Watched both their workouts from yesterday and Conor looked a bit quicker with his combos.

Also chin could go to Conor as well. Mendes knocked Aldo on his ass where as Conor took his best shot and laughed.

Fuck nitpicking. This is a solid whitebelt thread, a solid thread compared to most who mentions this matchup in any way, and not too shabby for the f2 in general. Props.

This is why Conor's headgames is somewhat important in this fight. McGregor has much, much better odds if Aldo wants to prove a point and trade heavily.

Chad had a guillotine almost in and Conor rolled.

In b4 if he had a full camp he wouldn't have felt the body shots.

I think the prevailing concept being, he wouldn't have stood flat footed directly in front of him if he had a training camp. That was the least mobile Mendes we've ever seen.

re: submission, Chad went for that out of pure desperation. He took that sloppy attempt because he was totally out of gas, even on top. When they stood up he couldn't even move around he was so gassed.

This is exactly how I see this fight. It all depends on how it starts. In my opinion, Aldo needs to meet Conor in the middle of the cage at the first round and not allow him to back him against the cage. Make Conor respect his hands immediately and then go back to counter-fighting

Aldo cannot risk meeting Conor in the middle, Aldo doesn't want to throw hands with Conor. Aldo needs to use his subtle footwork and not go on the attack immediately. I do agree that Aldo needs to gets respects in the opening minutes though.

aug 2015... didn't read. 10/10 recycled material

tl,dr breakdown: Aldo is superior everywhere, except for reach.

Or power, offensive boxing and movement.

I don't understand why some people give McGregor a cardio advantage, he looked out of energy vs Chad.

I feel like you gassed out a little bit after the striking part..

:)

haha, nah when it came to grappling, both guys don't have too much to show for it in terms of gif examples, basically just wen't off of Aldo's blackbelt, TDD defence, and strong hips.

Back