How good was Tim Sylvia?

Tim Sylvia at his peak would be a tough fight for Derrick Lewis, who beat the current champion

Not good at all, his sole advantage in all fights was his size. Once true skillz & cage IQ took over in mma his size became useless.

Being big is part of being a good fighter, and it always has been in unarmed combat. Same for being strong or fast or agile. Physical attributes matter.

Sylvia was good enough to win and defend the UFC title. Why he was good enough (size vs skill) isn't as important as his results -- he became champ.

People remember many things about Sylvia. For my part, his walkout during one fight involved some fan work, and he wandered over to some gents screaming his name. When he got close, they unveiled a secret banner that read TIM SYLVIA SUCKS COCK. Timmeh grabbed it and tried to rip it up but failed. The ufc camera crew quickly cut away

He had sex with his champ belt on, so for me, he was pretty darned good.

I doubt he would have lost easily, he was beating Nog's balls off before he made a huge mistake and went to the ground with him.

That was not prime Nog though, he had just barely survived standing with Heath Herring of all people in his previous fight, then immediately after beating Tim he had the worst performance of his career vs Mir where he literally looked like he couldn't move or throw a punch. So losing to that version of Nog isn't exactly a testament that Tim was elite.

i don't know why people think he's complete garbage. Alexander Volkov is like a shittier version of Sylvia and he's on the cusp of a title shot in 2021.

Roided Tim was pretty good
SlKVmP10_ZQ_0b3mW1GIGgmEPui4aeRbwmnn5dnsFfGcuOCaEcD8U0omVaKawC6buLIbz6C7Y2gE4faV2-61yMhCyYkKouoFLpUCVw

Natty Tim, not so great
20140413030642_IMG_5067.jpg

From what I've gathered, people generally didn't like him because he had aspirations to fight Fedor and claimed to be better (which Fedor eventually proved false and Sylvia humbly and respectfully accepted upon defeat) and because he was just a big guy that used his reach to his advantage, sometimes winning fights that weren't particularly eventful. To my knowledge, he never did anything too dickish -- sure he wore his belt a lot in public, but no more than many other champs did. Furthermore, he had a very difficult upbringing -- he got abused by his own family and bullied a lot; he was quite the success story in making something of his life from nothing.

This is exactly why he gets shit on, and to your point, he was never remotely a bad guy. I remember being on here all of those years ago and people were losing it because of the boring fights. Back then, if you had 2 to 3 boring fights in a close proximity to each other you were the worst....

I'm not going to lie, after the third Arlovski fight I remember thinking "Okay, is this just what he does now?" Because he had an uneventful fight with Assuerio Silva prior to that so it seemed like a downward trend, not to mention the talks of him being nothing without the sauce. Then after the Monson fight I couldn't wait for someone to get him out of there. He does have an amazing career and story though, and deserves everyone's respect. I'm just making sense of why more people don't have his back, as are you.

Decent chance he straight.right KO's Mirko. Mirko had shoft reach and vastly overrated boxing skills. Straight rights work against xoughpaws. He did outjabb AA for 5 rounds in fight 3.

Sergei handles him pretty easily.

Not good at all, his sole advantage in all fights was his size. Once true skillz & cage IQ took over in mma his size became useless.
size makes a difference, see ngannou stipe

Being big is part of being a good fighter, and it always has been in unarmed combat. Same for being strong or fast or agile. Physical attributes matter.

Sylvia was good enough to win and defend the UFC title. Why he was good enough (size vs skill) isn't as important as his results -- he became champ.

Nothing wrong with using with what you got, don't make you skilled...

Back