How good is Sittichai compared with other thai fighters ?

A lot of people on this forum dont agree with me but I think hes one of the best today. Everyone's excuse is the fact that hes at a heavier weight class but I feel if he was at 130lbs he would be beating some of the top guys at that weight. Might have problems with some of the strong clinchers thou.

The circuit around lumpinee and raja at the moment is not as competitive as it was say 10 years ago. Its slightly dying and the international mt side of things is getting much bigger which we all know sittichai has excelled in.

Watch his fight against Wanchalerm at the Yokkao event. Completely one sided and I know Sittichai was a much heavier fighter at that time but he shut him down just like he does to basically everyone he fights. Pakorn, singdam and some of the other guys couldn't do that when they faced wanchalerm.

Well, he did fight at 130 and he didn't really stand out. You can't just ignore that and say, "but he's so much better now!" International fighters might be better now but it's still not even close to what is in Thailand. What the success rate of good Thais against other Thais and good Thais against non-Thais? Just about any good Thai who fights internationally is doing a lot better against that competition. It's not like it's just Sitthichai.

The circuit around lumpinee and raja at the moment is not as competitive as it was say 10 years ago. Its slightly dying

Wrong

I get it. You're trying to justify Sitthichai as being one of the best by propping up his international competition and putting down the Thai scene. Sitthichai has great ability and is maybe the best Thai at 147+ right now, but the top guys at 105-135 have a totally different challenge. Fighting 8+ times a year against only the very best is a much harder thing than beating some good international guys and some guys that are just... guys. Just ask Saenchai, Yodsanklai, Buakaw and tons of other fighters.

Well, he did fight at 130 and he didn't really stand out. You can't just ignore that and say, "but he's so much better now!"

well, you can. that's the thing with fighters, some get better over time. especially with Sitsongpeenong hiring boxing coaches and changing his s/c program.

How old was Sittichai when he weighed 130 lbs? Wasnt he like 20 when he fought at 140 lbs last? I think its safe to say he is a better fighter than when he was a teenager.

well, you can. that's the thing with fighters, some get better over time. especially with Sitsongpeenong hiring boxing coaches and changing his s/c program.

But how can you really tell how much better he got?

It's not like he went from lightweight to welterweight and struggled for a while. He was a middle of the pack lightweight and not getting fights with the best, but moved right to welterweight and immediately became a top dog. Why?

It's not like he went from lightweight to welterweight and struggled for a while. He was a middle of the pack lightweight and not getting fights with the best, but moved right to welterweight and immediately became a top dog. Why?

It could be for a variety of reasons. A lot of fighters get better by moving up in weight because they are less drained from weight cutting.

So what about yodsanklai? He was 112 lbs champion before he moved up

And i think sittichai could beat yodsanklai.

How old was Sittichai when he weighed 130 lbs? Wasnt he like 20 when he fought at 140 lbs last? I think its safe to say he is a better fighter than when he was a teenager.

17 years old in 2009 he was fighting at 130lbs when he just started training at sitsongpeenong. He turned 18 towards the end of 2009 and I think he had his first 140lbs fight at 18 against Fabio Pinca in a 4 man tournament which included a past his prime anuwat.

because the competition is not the same level as he faced before, Yod was the same although a higher level and better name than Sittichai he was still not the top dog, Buakao again high level, but not right at the top, but move up and change to international competition and they are all of a sudden the greatest fighter ever. Well either that or the strength and conditioning :p

Monlit the head trainer of sitsongpeenong stated that sittichai has gotten better over time and there's no better person to hear it from then his trainer unless Monlit is just saying that to brag about how much of a good trainer he is but he doesn't need to. Hes won trainer of the year before so that speaks for itself.

The 130-135lbs days were when sittichai just started training at sitsongpeenong at 18 years old. Before that he was just a typical Issan kid from a poor background with the passion and drive but not the right team behind him. The mix of a strong team and the work ethic of a country kid over time will mold into something special as you probably already know but it doesn't happen over night.

Monlit the head trainer of sitsongpeenong stated that sittichai has gotten better over time and there's no better person to hear it from then his trainer unless Monlit is just saying that to brag about how much of a good trainer he is but he doesn't need to. Hes won trainer of the year before so that speaks for itself.

The 130-135lbs days were when sittichai just started training at sitsongpeenong at 18 years old. Before that he was just a typical Issan kid from a poor background with the passion and drive but not the right team behind him. The mix of a strong team and the work ethic of a country kid over time will mold into something special as you probably already know but it doesn't happen over night.

then why hasn't every fighter there been moulded into something special? Why aren't their lower fighters unbeatable in the stadiums. Don't get me wrong I'm not knocking the gym or the great job they have done with him, but your getting a little carried away

So what about yodsanklai? He was 112 lbs champion before he moved up

I'm not totally sure what you're saying. My point was Sitthichai wasn't anything special as a lightweight largely perhaps because the fighters were better than what he's faced at welterweight. The size of the fighter isn't what I was getting at.

because the competition is not the same level as he faced before, Yod was the same although a higher level and better name than Sittichai he was still not the top dog, Buakao again high level, but not right at the top, but move up and change to international competition and they are all of a sudden the greatest fighter ever. Well either that or the strength and conditioning :p

Haha, yep this is it. Leave the competitive circuit in Thailand as an anonymous fighter and go beat some inferior competition elsewhere and you become #1 and people know you.

A tried-and-true formula to becoming the greatest!

Weird

Where does the "high level" thing ends? Who would be a "medium" or a "low" level fighter in Thailand today for example?

Where does the "high level" thing ends? Who would be a "medium" or a "low" level fighter in Thailand today for example?

This is just kinda how I look at it.

Top level would be like Saenchai, Sam-A, Nong-O, Singdam etc...who have proven themselves against the best competition for a long time. Maybe not so much now, but you know, that type of guy.

High level would be Panpayak, Sangmanee and Yodwicha who have shown excellence but haven't reached the top level. Need time to get to the next level.

Medium high level are those that can and do beat "high level" or "top level" fighters, but don't have consistent results or have been there but couldn't stay. Wanchalong, Superlek, Prajantchai, Petpanomrung.

Medium level is the guy who couldn't/can't break through but is still a solid fighter. This is a common fighter and about where I'd slot "lightweight Sitthichai."

Medium low are the the filler on a standard weekday show.

Low are filler on below average weekday Rajadamnern shows and weekend shows between the two stadiums. Of course some of the fighters on these shows are 14 year olds who end being awesome, but for the most part not so much.

I often wonder who was definded as an average fighter in the golden era. Every fighter from back then is mentioned as a "legend" if he is even mentioned anywhere (even if you can't even find one fight of his on the internet, not that it's THE indicator), so it's a bit confusing.

Last edited:
There was a lot more strength in depth back then a lot more higher level guys and you had to be pretty decent even for the sat and Sunday shows

For example, how "legendary" were guys like Rajasak Sor Vorapin or Robert Kaennorasing?

They were both big names Rajasak was a big draw won more than one Raja belt Robert also a big name neither top top but not far off

They were both big names Rajasak was a big draw won more than one Raja belt Robert also a big name neither top top but not far off
Weird how it's almost impossible to find their fights on the web, only tape collectors get access to some of these gems...

I even found out that there was another Sittichai back then lol

Last edited:
Back