how good are Kettlebells?

I have to agree with krellik. You want small/compact/simple/versatile.

Make a sandbag. I use an old heavy bag but a sandbag would be better.

Make a 100lb one and you'll turn yourself into one strong dude in a big hurry.

Fuck kettlebells and clubbells and all that bullshit. ooh 20kg. Big fucking deal. Unless its on the end of a lever 20kg isn't shit. U want to practive levering things? buy a shovel/sledge hammer/axe. Lever that.

Kettlebells are ghey and so are clubbells. Its a fucking dumbbell for fuck sakes. Really.

hahahahaha, NK, you the man. I don't know what got into me. YOu are right.....

We got some at our gym, wat good exercises are they to with the kettle balls ive been dying to give them ago just dont no wat to do with them, im guessing shrugs rows??

groin striker said:
We got some at our gym, wat good exercises are they to with the kettle balls ive been dying to give them ago just dont no wat to do with them, im guessing shrugs rows??
think more along the lines of olympic lifts and overhead presses.

dont no much about olympic lifts, so wat grip would you use for the overhead press? sounds abit uncomfortable!!

Didn't Entropy post somewhere that you can do any KB workout with DB's?

According to him, they're unnecessary.

Madmick said:

WOULD BE NICE TO MIX THINGS UP A LITTLE , DONT NO ABOUT U BUT DUMBELLS PISS ME OFF AFTER A WHILE

TheNerdKing said:
Make a sandbag. I use an old heavy bag but a sandbag would be better.

I do the same thing, mine is only around 90 lbs. or so.

TheNerdKing said:
Fuck kettlebells and clubbells and all that bullshit. ooh 20kg. Big fucking deal. Unless its on the end of a lever 20kg isn't shit. U want to practive levering things? buy a shovel/sledge hammer/axe. Lever that.

Believe it or not, Clubbells feel a lot heavier than they actually are, the 45 lber is a challenge.

Nice to see a fellow Vancouverite here!

Madmick said:

Pretty much, the load just feels different between the two. I've spoken to Mike Mahler before about some of his routines and he even said it's fine to do with dumbells, he just prefers kettlebells.

Madmick said:

They're not essential in my book, but if I went to your house and you had some I wouldn't tell you to toss them in the trash. At the same time, I wouldn't tell ANYONE to go burn their power rack and barbell in favour of a couple of kettlebells.

Master the equipment you own before go out and buy new shit. I have an oly barbell and some plates...that's it. Keep it simple unless you're trying to accumulate shit for a future garage sale. If you feel like you have to have them, make some. Create more, consume less.

KB's are better than dumbells for a number of things for athletes IMO, note enough though to justify their price. There's a certain amount of agility required to maneuver your body around the KB and compensate fro the offset load that simply isn't there in a DB snatch or clean. If you haven't experienced this I encourage you to go make one of my KB designs and try it out, but not enough to go out and spend 80 bucks on 10 dollars worth of iron.

Urban,
Correct me if I'm wrong, but somewhere in your 1st model of KB's you have to have reverse threads. Right?

LPF4 said:
Urban,
Correct me if I'm wrong, but somewhere in your 1st model of KB's you have to have reverse threads. Right?
technically yes, but I just wrenched one of the pieces with little potential to rotate from use (one of the straight verticle pieces down the side) really tight and then backed it up into the other fitting. It works fine, but yes, a reverse thread would work better and be safter (but cost more).

Indeed, the lever effect is strong.

if u refer to one of my threads some time ago, a 3kg bar long enough can feel 20kg

Back