How fucked up are your fingers?

Um...wow...I guess I'm nogi for life after reading this...

Um...anyone want a gi...lol

Kidding

On a scale of 1 to Sakuraba? Gary Goodridge. I can't make tight fists with either hand, several of my fingers won't extend all the way, and my knuckles look like walnuts. Hurray Judo!

Though they don't hurt that badly most of the time, they just look like hell. They might be stiffer but I spend a lot of time playing the piano which I think keeps them somewhat limber.
Very similar to this, replace piano by guitar !

20 years of gi grappling...

To add to this, i am now 42 ; since last year i noticed a huge diffence on injury recovery time.

My body hurts from hips down all the way to the tip of my toes. (Plus hands and fingers).

But, meh, wont stop grappling because of intermittant pain.
Grapplers are just very tough people.

i played football so i've jammed all of my fingers. i've also gravitated towards jobs where my dexterity gives me an advantage. i think keyboarding and video games acted as a physical therapy of sorts and probably saved their individual mobility. weightlifting, judo, and construction helped me develop my crush.

but what's really sealed the deal for me is rock climbing. i've been hitting up our gym 2-3 times per week and you guys wouldn't believe the crossover with grappling. it's grip strength, yeah, but it's also about body tension and balance. it's not necessarily about pullups or raw power, more about precision and control.

so now i'm not so concerned with physical trauma to my fingers, but pulley injuries. i'm making a conscious effort to pace myself training while continuing to develop my grip

RPTC-grip-montage.jpg

Basically all my friends who train on a regular basis have at least one finger that isn't "optimal" anymore to say the least. They all just tape it when they injure them and never give them the time to fully heal. Just wondering if finger injuries are really that common

I had to take my wedding ring off before my finger blew up to the size of a pickle I'm sure my right middle was broke at one point and healed into this quasi moto looking thing.

my left ring is effed right now. and yes I tape and keeps ah rollin baby.

I never had a injured finger and if i did you can bet your ass i would have given it more than enough time to heal. Having beautiful hands is very important to me.

The gripper is injury prevention for when your fingers are healthy. They won't help you fixed a damaged finger. But, it does prevent injury to healthy hands.

My hand pain comes and goes. When I first started, I never needed to tape. I could play spider guard all day and hang onto grips for dear life. Over the last 2-3 years of training, I needed heavy duty taping to give my hands extra stability to grip hard. Over the last year, I have converted mostly to a nogi based guard and passing. When my hands feel good, Ill play some spider guard and pass with pant grips. Other days, I don't grip at all. I have hand pain on cold days. I have bilateral thumb pain from repeated sprains and dislocations. Dislocated my pinky at the Pans one year. Its deformed now but works. Opening a jar of spaghetti sauce can be tough. I'm 29 going 30.

Take care of your hands. Alternate between grip focused and non grip focused grappling. It will help. I don't hang onto grips for dear life. If someone is about to rip grip off, I will let go and regrip.

Pretty bad. Huge heberden nodes, can't make a fist anymore, aching, stiffness. The skin on top of the third knuckles regularly gets burnt off by gi friction.

Worth it

Fingers are only mildly beat up.

Toes are fucked tho.

not as bad as a lot of peopel id say. i get more impeding injuries in my elbows/shoulders/knees than my fingers for sure.

i played football so i've jammed all of my fingers. i've also gravitated towards jobs where my dexterity gives me an advantage. i think keyboarding and video games acted as a physical therapy of sorts and probably saved their individual mobility. weightlifting, judo, and construction helped me develop my crush.

but what's really sealed the deal for me is rock climbing. i've been hitting up our gym 2-3 times per week and you guys wouldn't believe the crossover with grappling. it's grip strength, yeah, but it's also about body tension and balance. it's not necessarily about pullups or raw power, more about precision and control.

so now i'm not so concerned with physical trauma to my fingers, but pulley injuries. i'm making a conscious effort to pace myself training while continuing to develop my grip

RPTC-grip-montage.jpg
Used to use one of those a lot. It will definitely help.

I just switched from no-gi to gi about 6 months ago so I haven't had time to develop a gi grip dependent game that would impact my fingers. Hopefully my hands don't end up like Kurt Osiander's or similar.

I had to take my wedding ring off before my finger blew up to the size of a pickle I'm sure my right middle was broke at one point and healed into this quasi moto looking thing.

my left ring is effed right now. and yes I tape and keeps ah rollin baby.

I wear mine on a chain around my neck. I don't even know if I could get it on my finger anymore.

Also, nothing I really do in terms of BJJ REQUIRES gi grips necessarily, I just think of it as a place to put my hand pretty much. I'm also quite inexperienced with gi chokes and pretty much never go for them. That's definitely a flaw I need to address if I want to seriously get better at BJJ though. As it is, if I over/underhook or try to control the head etc., I'll grab the sleeve, collar or lapel for a bit of extra control, but that's mostly it, besides leg drags or something I guess, which doesn't seem too hard on your fingers. That's not one of my go to passes as it is, either. I probably will delve further into gi-based techniques before all is said and done, but right now I basically play a no gi game in the gi. Most of my chokes are guillotines, RNCs, darces and arm triangles. I did learn a bow and arrow choke once but that was a long time ago so I don't really remember it. It's nice though. I'll probably focus on it a bit more eventually.

I had a partial ligament tear on my index finger. Took 4 to 5 months to heal. Right now it's my other index finger that feels sore when I make a fist. I do a lot of spider, DLR and I'm in my 40's.

I have one messed up ring finger, but it was pretty much wrecked before I started Judo. Had a spiral fracture and needed surgery on it; could never fully clench it afterward.

Just cranked it last night during randori, and the joint is swollen up like a walnut and hurting like hell. (glad I never put my wedding ring back on)... Gonna have to start buddy taping it, but I think it'll just shut down the range of the buddy finger.

Anything I can do to recover from a bad finger sprain, other than rest/ice?

Back