How fucked up are your fingers?

My fingers are surprisingly in good shape, despite primarily playing spider guard and loving ezekiel chokes... and I did gymnastics for years and put them through hell before jiu-jitsu.

My wrists, lower back, knees and neck, on the other hand... :/

From BJJ itself? Not. I've had arthritis in my hands since i was 9/10 though.

I have a always had a good grip and I usually don't mess up my fingers, but once in awhile I have to tape up to so I can train a little bit more

On a scale of 1 to Sakuraba? Gary Goodridge. I can't make tight fists with either hand, several of my fingers won't extend all the way, and my knuckles look like walnuts. Hurray Judo!

Though they don't hurt that badly most of the time, they just look like hell. They might be stiffer but I spend a lot of time playing the piano which I think keeps them somewhat limber.

I play guitar and I find it serves the same purpose.

I never had a injured finger and if i did you can bet your ass i would have given it more than enough time to heal. Having beautiful hands is very important to me.

Can't have your lover looking unattractive.

I have a few fingers which are pretty jacked up these days, which is why I've taken a couple weeks off, see if they improve at all.

i played football so i've jammed all of my fingers. i've also gravitated towards jobs where my dexterity gives me an advantage. i think keyboarding and video games acted as a physical therapy of sorts and probably saved their individual mobility. weightlifting, judo, and construction helped me develop my crush.

but what's really sealed the deal for me is rock climbing. i've been hitting up our gym 2-3 times per week and you guys wouldn't believe the crossover with grappling. it's grip strength, yeah, but it's also about body tension and balance. it's not necessarily about pullups or raw power, more about precision and control.

so now i'm not so concerned with physical trauma to my fingers, but pulley injuries. i'm making a conscious effort to pace myself training while continuing to develop my grip

RPTC-grip-montage.jpg

That's the thing, surely climbers and elite weight lifters put more force through their hands than grapplers. It seems like their must be ways to strengthen the hands to protect. I personally warm up my deadlifts by starting with the bar and one finger each hand grip and keep adding 25 pounds until I need two fingers, three etc. When I'm grappling my fingers and hands feel hardened and strong from dealing with such force.

It's my forearms and elbows that get beaten up with grappling+lifting.

Man, reading this thread I'm happy I quit gi-bjj all those years back in favour of no-gi/mma lol.

My hands feel pretty much perfect, which always surprises me since I've put them through a bunch of years of mma/grappling and a life time of heavy computer use/drawing etc.

I only did gi-bjj for like 6 months but even after such a short time my fingers started to feel messed up (fuckkkkkkk spider guard), so I can't even imagine what it would have been like after 6 years.

That's the thing, surely climbers and elite weight lifters put more force through their hands than grapplers. It seems like their must be ways to strengthen the hands to protect. I personally warm up my deadlifts by starting with the bar and one finger each hand grip and keep adding 25 pounds until I need two fingers, three etc. When I'm grappling my fingers and hands feel hardened and strong from dealing with such force.

It's my forearms and elbows that get beaten up with grappling+lifting.
The stress from weight lifting is very different tho. It's heavier maybe, but it's not as explosive or uncontrolled. If you were trying to control a barbell loaded with a few hundred pounds on it, while it was trying to get out of your hands, weight lifting careers would probably be pretty short :D

Back