How fucked up are your fingers?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Straightcross, Feb 12, 2016.

1. Straightcross

Straightcross Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Basically all my friends who train on a regular basis have at least one finger that isn't "optimal" anymore to say the least. They all just tape it when they injure them and never give them the time to fully heal. Just wondering if finger injuries are really that common

Jack Handy jr likes this.
  2. the heed

the heed Look at the size of that boy's heed.

I will say 4 out of 10 fingers are pretty jacked. I can't make a fully closed fist. I have aches. But, they don't pop out where I need to tape them regularly. If I have a lot of pain that day, I tape them up.
    But, you do find different ways to grip gis in order to make it work for yourself. Doing hand grip exercises regularly has helped me.

Which Doctor likes this.
  3. Uchi Mata

Uchi Mata Preaching the gospel of heel hooks and left kicks

On a scale of 1 to Sakuraba? Gary Goodridge. I can't make tight fists with either hand, several of my fingers won't extend all the way, and my knuckles look like walnuts. Hurray Judo!

Though they don't hurt that badly most of the time, they just look like hell. They might be stiffer but I spend a lot of time playing the piano which I think keeps them somewhat limber.

4. Ton

Ton The master of Potato Plata

They all ache. Some joints with bumps on them. I tape them as much as I can. Still feel pretty strong, though I haven't even been training in the gi that long.

5. berimBOWLoh

berimBOWLoh Silver Belt

from 1-10 they are prob a solid 11. they starting to hurt lately, too.

6. Knock Out Ned

Knock Out Ned el mero mero

In the looks department they are probably like a 7. Ugly but I've seen much, much worse.

If I train in the gi for more than a couple of days in a row, they start to ache and hurt real bad.

Was it all worth it? Yes.

7. Shot

Shot Brown Belt Platinum Member

Not that fucked up. I do more Nogi than GI and I don't play many guards that require constant finger abuse (spider, ect.).

They still hurt quite a bit, especially in the morning, but I haven't noticed to much change in their dexterity

8. lechien

lechien Gold Belt

I cant make a tight fist with my left hand.

Cause: i did a C grip on sleeve during tachi waza. Big mistake.

9. freakroor

freakroor Purple Belt

I tape my pinkies and ring fingers before every bjj practice because they started to swell at the joints

Now they are fine. I don't play spider guard though

Never had issues with middle or index fingers. My friend says those are the "finishers" and pinkie/ring are the "grippers"

10. soldier99

soldier99 White Belt

Not at all. I think because I play more nogi than gi. I never had any finger problems I think not just cause of not too much time playing gi but also cause I'm very mindful of my fingers. I pay close attention to them . if I don't need my fingers I keep a loose fist or a tight fist depending.

11. jr jr

jr jr Purple Belt

Mine are fine. I have one mallet finger from getting caught in the gi years ago. Mine dont hurt any worse than the rest of my body. I also dont play spider guard. The musicians I work out with tape all their fingers together like a paw. They just use no gi grips or pistol grips.

12. Allan san

Allan san Green Belt

Mine are pretty painful. Tight fists outside of sparring don't happen. I have heberden's nodes on all of my 3rd knuckles and arthritis getting pretty bad in the middle finger of my left hand. I am only 29.

13. anaconda

anaconda Full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

I've started taping the middle two fingers on both hands before every training session. It has helped a ton to keep soreness and injury away. I highly recommend it.

14. These Two Hands

These Two Hands Our revenge will be the laughter of our children

I've done something bad to one of them, did it doing too many gi pullups - it's a good exercise for lighter weight guys but hauling 250lbs up and down gradually wore it down. I keep saying if it still hurts next month I'll go see the doc, but I've been saying that since last year some time lol. Plus the doc might tell me to take time off training... No way.

So I just use cohesion bandage over the entire joint, and finger tape above and below it. Supports it pretty well.

Also broken metacarpals a few times back when I was fighting MT.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
  15. Uchi Mata

Uchi Mata Preaching the gospel of heel hooks and left kicks

Did not know there was a name for those protrusions which grace every one of my non-thumb 3rd knuckles to some degree. The more you know.

Allan san likes this.
  16. Darwinambrosius

Darwinambrosius Thought you had a friend, boy?

Both of my pinkies are angled out at the middle joint away from the other fingers and all my other fingers are a little angles as well.

I have no visible pinkie or ring finger knuckles on my left hand from a wrestling incident in college which resulted in a boxer's fracture that I reduced myself.

17. Allan san

Allan san Green Belt

Useless information is sometimes useful.

18. Oldguy

Oldguy Blue Belt

Here is something that will reduce your finger injuries - put a gripper in the center console of your car. Everyday when you drive to work, use it. You will see your injury rate go down dramatically.

Most of what we do with our hands is isometric. The gripper will make your hands stronger and work the entire range of motion of your grip. Less injuries.

19. Steve08

Steve08 American Fedor Belt

Not at all, but I mostly do no gi.

20. These Two Hands

These Two Hands Our revenge will be the laughter of our children

I
    In regards to my injured finger, the gripping motion is what causes the pain. Extending it against resistance feels ok though.