How effective is the armbar? (in street application)

I'm about 99% sure GSP told a story about how he arm barred this drug dealer who had a knife. I think he said he broke the guys arm.

Armbar from the bottom; prepare for a journey into the pavement. Armbar from the top; no problem.

The last place I would want to be in a street fight is on my back.

someone tried to armbar me in a fight on the street; i slammed him on the edge of the sidewalk and he let go.

it can work, i have seen it; but u have to get it and go to break it, not slip it on or just try to extend, anything else will more than likely endup w/the guy getting away, or slamming u.

the guy i fought shot in and i sprawled; he tried to tieup, i got hooks and the trip takedown..he spun for the armbar, i picked him up and slammed him on the edge of the sidewalk.

Are you that dude who got kicked out of the TUF house because you got in a fight?

In a street fight I would only ever go for an armbar if I'm in guard or on bottom in general. If I have top control, you better believe that I'm gonna G'NP the shit out of them. Though from side control I would use the kimura. I would love to use that in a street fight, it would be brutal cranked.

Sadly I've seen the Kimura used in a "street fight". It was actually when I was a bouncer and we had an altercation. It was applied in the standing position and when another bouncer tried to run his face into the wall his elbow and shoulder popped. When the submission was let go it looked like his forearm had slid halfway up the distance to his shoulder...it was sickening and I hope to never see anything like that again.

With that being said after the guy was let go he proceeded to get a fence post (the metal kind you use with chicken wire fence" and smash in the windows of patrons cars...then he went to jail. What a crummy night for that guy

I have had my arm popped before from an arm bar (within the first few months of starting bjj). It didn't feel to painful, it just got a little swollen.

Before Sunday, I would have said that getting armbarred would not stop many people. In my semi final match on Sunday. The guy got me with an upside down arm bar. The pain was excruciating. If he had help on another few seconds, it would of broken my arm. I was still feeling it to a certain extent 2 days after the match.

So, in conclusion, yes I believe it can either stop someone, or incapacitate one arm. Making them much easier to deal with.

A friend of mine kept getting teased by a guy that was sort of a friend of a friend. Well they hung around in the same circles. This guy would always tease him about his bjj, saying it wasn't effective and stuff. My friend was being a bit of a dick, pulled a standing kimura on the guy. Breaking his arm and dislocating his shoulder. My friend regretted having done it, he knew it was irresponsible and had to pay the guys medical bills.

Steve Cantwell bent some guys arm 90 degrees the wrong way doing an arm bar in his last UFC fight. The guys arm was destroyed, it was disgusting to watch.

However, the guy wasn't out of the fight. He jumped up, and could have continued to fight if the situation demanded it. So, based on that, I would have to say that the arm bar is not a definitive fight ending move. If you damage the arm, it gives you an advantage, but it's not a 100% guarantee that the fight is over.

I would think a RNC would be my move of choice from the ground.

Other moves like the triangle, or some variations of the arm bar would get you punched in the groin. I know that is what I would do if someone was trying to triangle me on the street. Eye gouges and single digit manipulation is another thing that most BJJ guys forget about when the street altercation happens.

I laid a guillotine choke on a new guy one night in class. Strong wrestler, did the standard single leg shot. I locked up the choke and pulled guard. He started to gurgle, and I eased off a bit waiting for the tap. He was digging at my hands/wrists and I didn't think much of it until he grabbed my index finger and cranked it back. I let go of the choke right away. Prior to that, my mind hadn't considered that a defense against the guillotine. While not legal or pretty, it was effective.

Other moves like the triangle, or some variations of the arm bar would get you punched in the groin. I know that is what I would do if someone was trying to triangle me on the street. Eye gouges and single digit manipulation is another thing that most BJJ guys forget about when the street altercation happens

R...really? While in a triangle?

Other moves like the triangle, or some variations of the arm bar would get you punched in the groin. I know that is what I would do if someone was trying to triangle me on the street.

Have you ever been triangled?

Eye gouges and single digit manipulation is another thing that most BJJ guys forget about when the street altercation happens.

Same old tired argument. BJJ guys can eye gouge too.

I laid a guillotine choke on a new guy one night in class. Strong wrestler, did the standard single leg shot. I locked up the choke and pulled guard. He started to gurgle, and I eased off a bit waiting for the tap. He was digging at my hands/wrists and I didn't think much of it until he grabbed my index finger and cranked it back. I let go of the choke right away. Prior to that, my mind hadn't considered that a defense against the guillotine. While not legal or pretty, it was effective.

You weren't in a fight on the street. You were in class. It's different. I've stubbed my toe in football practice and immediately stopped. I've also completely dislocated my shoulder and collar bone in a game and didn't figure it out for most of a quarter.

My old teacher has broken 3 peoples' arms in street fights in Rio De Janeiro.

I wrote about this before, my thoughts are:
If you are fighting a guy who is strung out on drugs, too drunk to feel it, or just plain batshit insane, the loss of 1 arm will probably NOT end the fight in and of itself.
Everyone else will most likely back down as they have just lost a limb, and if you took 1 you can certainly take another.

In my humble opinion, chokes should be move #1 as they incapacitate and don't leave any lingering damage. Second to that would be severe leglocks, because if you're going to do a sub that leaves lingering damage, might as well incapacitate and run the hell away.

No I don't fight, never have fought, this is pure theory. I don't have any reservations about using BJJ in a typical club night fight, I would say 90+% of all fights I've ever seen happen are sloppy boxing matches 1 on 1. I'm sure people get X on 1'd and lose all the time, I've just never seen it. If I were IN any of the 1 - 2 dozen fights I've seen break out, I'm pretty confident straight up BJJ would have won the day had either guy used it. Everyone has a puncher's chance standing, but once the fight hits the ground, it's sharks and guppies.

Back