How effective is the armbar? (in street application)

One time while learning arms bars, we learned what to do in a street fight. First put you foot/shoe on their face so they can't bite the back of your leg. And when you have to arm bar most likely it wont break the first time you extend it right away, so it may take a couple of tries. You could pop and and give the guy a chance to calm down, if he doesn't break the arm.

I think it would be easy to triangle someone's broken arm lol.

And to be honest, I wouldnt fight off my back in a street fight. I would work towards getting on top and then mounting or getting the back. From there an armbar would be easy to apply and hard to escape.

Then, even if he was all hopped up, if you break his arm like I said I'm sure you could triangle that side pretty easily.

In a street fight I would only ever go for an armbar if I'm in guard or on bottom in general. If I have top control, you better believe that I'm gonna G'NP the shit out of them. Though from side control I would use the kimura. I would love to use that in a street fight, it would be brutal cranked.

I'd rather stay on top and work for a choke.

going to the ground in a streetfight is not a very good idea.

going to the ground in a streetfight is not a very good idea.
Fights go to the ground all the time. If you can't box for shit and you get in a clinch/tie up situation, why not take the fight to the ground, get the mount or back,smash your opponents face and then finish with a choke? Don't give me the "his buddies will jump in and kick the shit out of you" bit either. If you're boxing some dude's head off and his friends are the type to jump in if he's losing a fight, you're going to get jumped whether you're standing or on the ground.

you're an idiot to get into a fight with no friends of your own against a guy and all of his

that said, take his ass to the ground. a slam onto concrete would suck, so i'd dominate top position and work shit from there. a guy with one arm gets desperate.. then gg with eye gouges and stuff

Only go for it if you're in guard but I'd also try to sweep out of guard or get onto my feet asap given the options the guy on top has (banging your head against the ground, hitting up in the nuts, etc.). You also have to keep in mind that a lot of you're game is going to be hindered by street clothes. For example, sneakers will make it more difficult to maneuver your feet for butterfly guard or a lot of sweeps. If you're in mount or side control and you go for an arm bar you risk giving up a good position where you have a lot of neck cranks, chokes, wrist locks, americanas, knees, elbows and fists where you won't risk losing a better defensive position.

In a street fight I wouldnt stop cranking the arm bar until I caused a compound fracture (bone popping out of skin)

I may get flamed for this...
but if your applying a Jujigitame, you could put one of your arms under their elbow, so it has more of an "angle" to destroy the elbow... just a thought.

However in a street fight I would say stay away from it, because its a pretty risky move that can backfire fast, infact, unless i set myself up for it or they're exceptionally strong, generally people cant sink it on me and I end up in a better position then before.

If you have mount in a street fight I'd say either just GnP or go for a less risky move like a kimura/americana, or mounted guillotine.

or the rape choke.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8SdC3fbKoG4&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8SdC3fbKoG4&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I think people are starting to lose sight of the intentions of this thread that the starter wanted. Everyone has heard the arguments for going to the ground in a street fight fighting off your back and yadda yadda etc... The TS wants to know if the armbar is effective not what you should do in a street fight.

The question is this hypothetical: you are in a street fight and get a set up for an armbar you lock it on, is it effective in ending the fight.

I admit I get a little sidetracked with it too, but I think the general consensus is with the armbar in such a situation you are going to do signifgant damage to the joint, and it will give you a huge advantage in the fight, but it may not outright end the altercation.

I think it depends on your opponent. Chances are if you break their arm they are going to freak out and the fight will be over.

I stick to what Matt Thornton says about street fights and joint locks, I'm sure I'm paraphrasing a lot here but: "if you break his arm or leg so what? he is just going to fight you with the other arm or leg, now if you choke him unconscious... well then you can just run him over with your car." he goes on to say he is kidding about running someone over with a car and he doesn't condone that.

SO if a guy gives me his arm yes I'm going to break it and then try and transition to something else, but ideally I want the choke.

the only time you should attempt an armbar in a streetfight is if you have knowledge and technique to pull it off often in practice and on a resisting opponent. if you have a good straight armbar there is no question about it you will break the guys arm in half if you apply it 100%. on the street the armbar is effective and is certainly a fight ender. to the guy saying u should modify it with ur elbow or whatever you are wrong. no man is going to get his arm broken in half then try to fight you still.

The problem with an arm bar in a street fight is that you'll get picked up and throw on your head.

Even if someone broke my arm, I'd still punish the bottom person.

Go back and watch TUF 6, the blonde, army guy did that and got spiked on concrete. That's going to leave a mark and, from memory, he needed stitches on the back of his head.

In the middle of a street fight I have broken fingers to get out of a choke or a hold. It feels like seperating raw chicken wings from a whole chicken. People stop and for a sec cause not unless they are on drugs or drunk, Pain is Pain, Damage is Damage. The body is telling you something is wrong!

I have tried to break one person's arm in a street fight. It didnt break but I felt it pop in 3 differant places. He jumped up and look at me like he wanted rush me. Then him face got flushed and he looked like he wanted to cry. He kicked at me then ran down the alley way by my apartment and I chased him calling the police at the same time.

I would say that it is effective, just make sure you can pull if off quick, and he doesnt have homies. Also make sure he doesnt try to slam you or grab your balls.

Back