How effective is the armbar? (in street application)

silverline122

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Well here's the question-
If given the chance, would you use it in a streetfight type situation?

I know that some techniques such as the heel hooks are very unforgiving when applied to full extent, but I've personally seen and heard of many armbars that "popped" the arm (sometimes multiple pops) causing hyperextension, but never any permanent damage. In fact, some of guys that "pop" their arm are able to shrug off the pain and roll afterwards.

The worst I've seen was in the Mir/Sylvia fight where Tim's arm was actually broken by Frank's armbar, but in the majority of the times, the fighter's arm is fine and mobile afterwards.

The question I'm trying to get at is this:
If applied in a street fight, would the arm bar (applied to it's fullest), immobilize your attacker's arm or would adrenaline overcome the damage done to the arm and make it somewhat of an ineffective move?

Adrenaline will not overcome the damage, it's too excruciating. A broken arm is a little different than a pop. I don't think it will be very difficult to fight someone with 1 arm. It's very effective if you aren't outweighed by 40+ lbs, and you hook the leg when they slam which is inevitably going to happen.

I may get flamed for this...
but if your applying a Jujigitame, you could put one of your arms under their elbow, so it has more of an "angle" to destroy the elbow... just a thought.

However in a street fight I would say stay away from it, because its a pretty risky move that can backfire fast, infact, unless i set myself up for it or they're exceptionally strong, generally people cant sink it on me and I end up in a better position then before.

If you have mount in a street fight I'd say either just GnP or go for a less risky move like a kimura/americana, or mounted guillotine.

I stick to what Matt Thornton says about street fights and joint locks, I'm sure I'm paraphrasing a lot here but: "if you break his arm or leg so what? he is just going to fight you with the other arm or leg, now if you choke him unconscious... well then you can just run him over with your car." he goes on to say he is kidding about running someone over with a car and he doesn't condone that.

SO if a guy gives me his arm yes I'm going to break it and then try and transition to something else, but ideally I want the choke.

thanks guys- what do you think the chances are for hyperextension vs arm breakage?

I'd have to go with the majority being hyperextensions

well if you hold on to that arm bar even after it breaks the person would have to calm down or their arm would be torn off

someone tried to armbar me in a fight on the street; i slammed him on the edge of the sidewalk and he let go.

it can work, i have seen it; but u have to get it and go to break it, not slip it on or just try to extend, anything else will more than likely endup w/the guy getting away, or slamming u.

the guy i fought shot in and i sprawled; he tried to tieup, i got hooks and the trip takedown..he spun for the armbar, i picked him up and slammed him on the edge of the sidewalk.

thanks guys- what do you think the chances are for hyperextension vs arm breakage?

I'd have to go with the majority being hyperextensions

I'd say more of ligament tears and ruptures and such then hyperextensions...this is a street situations you don't apply it like you would in MMA or grappling ...you pop your hips in hard and rip back on the arm, and then you move on to the next move.

actually this is almost exactly what I was talking about. The ref HAD to pull Aoki off Hironaka because Hironaka was on an adrenaline boost and was game to continue fighting. Aoki had to tell the ref that his arm was broken. I'm really curious to see what would have happened if the match continued a bit longer.

as much as i like hironaka(im a fan of his) and as much as i dislike aoki, aoki wouldve annhialated hironaka.

can the guy fight with one arm? yes, but if your skilled enough to armbar him in the first place, you will be skilled enough to potentially kill him when he only has one arm.

Have you ever rolled with someone when you only used one arm? I was told 90 percent of your attacks rely on having both arms when you are on bottom guard....and im sure the percenteges are similar in other positions as well...

so, in short my point is, if your skilled enough to armbar him and break his arm in the first place, and he still fights with one arm, it will be 100x easier to submit him again so there is no reason why you couldnt do it.

Hironaka threw his leg over aoki, aoki probobly woudve broken his leg or something next since it would be much harder for hironaka to defend with only one arm.

trust me, go roll only using one arm next time, it is very difficult...

man i cant help but cringing really badly when watching footage like that or thinking about hyperextensions

am i a bit of a pussy or is that really 100% normal

I would say it stretches out the tendons or whatever a tad bit, but it won't rupture anything as I have had my arm hyperextended from an armbar

I'd say more of ligament tears and ruptures and such then hyperextensions...this is a street situations you don't apply it like you would in MMA or grappling ...you pop your hips in hard and rip back on the arm, and then you move on to the next move.

Exactly.

to clarify my point the armbar is not a bone attack it is a joint attack, so you won't actually break the bone you wiill shred tendons and ligaments making the joint useless. the mir armbar on sylvia was a freak accident.

Depends on the person.
People get shot , stabbed and all kinds of shit and they still keep fighting.
I watched a guy break his leg and get up and keep fighting.

But let's face it, if somebody breaks a bodypart you may keep fighting but your chances of winning are signifcantly diminished (unless you are Forret Griffin)

as much as i like hironaka(im a fan of his) and as much as i dislike aoki, aoki wouldve annhialated hironaka.

can the guy fight with one arm? yes, but if your skilled enough to armbar him in the first place, you will be skilled enough to potentially kill him when he only has one arm.

Have you ever rolled with someone when you only used one arm? I was told 90 percent of your attacks rely on having both arms when you are on bottom guard....and im sure the percenteges are similar in other positions as well...

so, in short my point is, if your skilled enough to armbar him and break his arm in the first place, and he still fights with one arm, it will be 100x easier to submit him again so there is no reason why you couldnt do it.

Hironaka threw his leg over aoki, aoki probobly woudve broken his leg or something next since it would be much harder for hironaka to defend with only one arm.

trust me, go roll only using one arm next time, it is very difficult...

Oh-
I'm not disagreeing with you about fighting with one arm (although I have tapped n00bs using just legs, to toot my own horn, lol)...
I was just wondering if Hironaka's arm was completely immobile after the damage, or if he could've continued using it with the adrenaline rush he was on

Oh-
I'm not disagreeing with you about fighting with one arm (although I have tapped n00bs using just legs, to toot my own horn, lol)...
I was just wondering if Hironaka's arm was completely immobile after the damage, or if he could've continued using it with the adrenaline rush he was on

If he wanted to use it as a flail maybe....

Back