How does this Greyskull LP look?

• Thread starter Deleted member 412415
  • Start date
The program doesn't call for it.The author says that the squat workout with the AMRAP set at the end cooks novice trainees, leaving them fatigued and unable to do their presses to the best of their ability. Pretty much the opposite of what Rip says.

Oh. Squat is most important lift for newbs though. Why waste energy pressing and pulling before it. And what's the point of the AMRAP set if it means you can't load the squat as heavy as you could if it were done first, and for only 3 sets of 5 across. The logic here if off.

Oh. Squat is most important lift for newbs though. Why waste energy pressing and pulling before it. And what's the point of the AMRAP set if it means you can't load the squat as heavy as you could if it were done first, and for only 3 sets of 5 across. The logic here if off.

I believe the AMRAP sets are intended to give the novice who desires some hypertrophy a little extra volume while still making strength gains, and like 531 the goal is to beat your AMRAP PR set after a deload. Maybe the author just wanted to be different than starting strength and wrote it that way?

I'm by no means an expert or a strong person at all, but for the sake of discussion. Who cares if the squat can't be loaded as heavy as a standard 3x5 set if the trainee is still making steady progress?

I thought the same thing when I started lifting again after a year away from the weights. I'd done SS before and had read in other places to do exercises in the order of priority.

As it turns out, there is very little impact on the squat from benching or pressing before hand. However, squatting first had a serious impact on them. All of my lifts have improved by doing GSLP, deadlift is better from not squatting on the same day. Press and bench as well.

What sealed the deal for me was reading some old posts on Rippetoe's forum - many of his Starting Strength coaches have their clients press/bench first. Rippetoe seemed to be the only one doing the programme the way he wrote it.

Back