Row: 2 x 6-8
Deadlift: 1 x 5+
Plank: 2 x 1 min

Day 3
Overhead Press: 2 x 5, 1 x 5+
Lateral Raises: 2 x 10-12
Squat: 2 x 5, 1 x 5+
Hanging Leg Raise: 2 x 10-12

Goals are a combination of strength and size.
Big exercises are as per Greyskull protocol.
Rows are paired with bench days to balance out the pushing.
1 core exercise per day for general health ( I don't want to get a hernia).
Curls and shoulder stuff is there for vanity (looking to gain muscle).
Thanks everyone.

What's the progression like? Looks like starting strength with a bit more assistance work listed so it gets my approval hinging on my previous question

Oh sorry, forgot that. Recommended progression is 5 lbs for lower body and 2.5 lbs for upper body. However, I Intend to start off with 10 and 5 lb jumps for the first few sessions until I reach something semi challenging.

Then in sounds like a starting strength based program, with a bit slower progression and a bit more volume. Good for bringing the gap between absolute newb on SS and an intermediate program like 5/3/1 or Texas Method. Go for it. Bout as good a "critique my program" thread as you'll get here. I'd assume you'd want some more opinions besides just mine as I don't claim to be on the upper end of knowledgeable here. Although you'll probably get someone yelling at you cuz YNDTP! Personally I like small modifications to make it more interesting and feel like I have more control. Keeps me at it longer.

Man, GSLP is a legit programme. The guy used to work for Rippetoe but branched out to do his own thing.

The main difference for me was during a reset, instead of just repeating the same weight you can hit rep maxes, which in my experience was much better for driving progress.

I also took bigger jumps for the first few weeks, then cut it back.

I started GSLP this week aswell. I like it more than SS because of the assitance you can add, so it isn't that boring.

The main difference for me was during a reset, instead of just repeating the same weight you can hit rep maxes, which in my experience was much better for driving progress.

I've done that when coming back from a break or an injury. Found it really helpful.

I started GSLP this week aswell. I like it more than SS because of the assitance you can add, so it isn't that boring.

I just started as well. Hardest thing for me is getting to the gym because the one with a proper squat rack is across town making it tough to get to on work days.

I've done that when coming back from a break or an injury. Found it really helpful.

I'm actually just coming back from an injury as well. What about it helped you?
If I'm running SS would it be benefit me to go to my rep max on my top set?

Then in sounds like a starting strength based program, with a bit slower progression and a bit more volume. Good for bringing the gap between absolute newb on SS and an intermediate program like 5/3/1 or Texas Method. Go for it. Bout as good a "critique my program" thread as you'll get here. I'd assume you'd want some more opinions besides just mine as I don't claim to be on the upper end of knowledgeable here. Although you'll probably get someone yelling at you cuz YNDTP! Personally I like small modifications to make it more interesting and feel like I have more control. Keeps me at it longer.

Man, GSLP is a legit programme. The guy used to work for Rippetoe but branched out to do his own thing.

Thanks to all for your input. I'll plow ahead now with this.

I see what you've done, you alternate "side/front" raises with rows. I would do chins or some other vertical pull exercise in addition to the raises.

I did assistance lifts according to the week day, not the programme day. Chins on Monday, Rows on Wed, and Dips and Chins on Friday.

I also did Power Cleans on Wed so it was a big pull day.

Monday: Press/Bench -> Squat -> Chins
Wed: Press/Bench -> Power Clean -> Deadlift -> Rows.
Friday: Press/Bench -> Squat -> Chins and Dips.

The programme has a lot of push exercises so you should incorporate more pulls for your assistance work.

I see what you've done, you alternate "side/front" raises with rows. I would do chins or some other vertical pull exercise in addition to the raises.

I did assistance lifts according to the week day, not the programme day. Chins on Monday, Rows on Wed, and Dips and Chins on Friday.

I also did Power Cleans on Wed so it was a big pull day.

Monday: Press/Bench -> Squat -> Chins
Wed: Press/Bench -> Power Clean -> Deadlift -> Rows.
Friday: Press/Bench -> Squat -> Chins and Dips.

The programme has a lot of push exercises so you should incorporate more pulls for your assistance work.

The program calls for frequency method push ups and chin ups. Will doing the chin ups 6x a week help balance out the pushing? It's probably 20-30 reps a day at the start anyway.

i'm on my fifth week of greyskull. love it

your setup looks decent, but I've would have changed a couple of things

-2x5, 1x5+ rep scheme for rows/pull-ups, instead of 2x6-8
-why omit pulling exercises on day 1/3, week2?
-2:1 ratio between bench and overhead pressing. Bench: Mon+Fri, OHP: Wed
Why? IMO overhead exercises, and vertical pulling are less valuable for the athlete than horizontal plane movements
-if your 1RM for deadlift is >200kg, then IME conventional deadlifting to failure, every week
just leads to burnout

i'm on my fifth week of greyskull. love it

your setup looks decent, but I've would have changed a couple of things

-2x5, 1x5+ rep scheme for rows/pull-ups, instead of 2x6-8
-why omit pulling exercises on day 1/3, week2?
-2:1 ratio between bench and overhead pressing. Bench: Mon+Fri, OHP: Wed
Why? IMO overhead exercises, and vertical pulling are less valuable for the athlete than horizontal plane movements
-if your 1RM for deadlift is >200kg, then IME conventional deadlifting to failure, every week
just leads to burnout

First off thanks for the reply.
-It says in the Greyskull e book to do rows for 2 x 6-8.
-Pulling exercises are ommitted as I pair rows with bench press... but I suppose it would be a good idea to incorporate something. What would you recommend, just rows again?
-Just alternating OHP and bench press to ensure a 1:1 ratio over two weeks, I prefer things to be even when possble and the program calls for it.
My deadlift isn't close to 200kg so I think i'm alright in that regard. :icon_chee

The program calls for frequency method push ups and chin ups. Will doing the chin ups 6x a week help balance out the pushing? It's probably 20-30 reps a day at the start anyway.

The point is to balance out pushing and pulling exercises. If you're doing pushups and bodyweight chins all day you're still doing weighted push in the gym with no weighted pull to balance it out.

If you can do weighted chins, 2x5 or there abouts.

I agree with oyaji, definitely needs more upper body pulling to balance things out. Chins are never a bad choice. You can scatter them throughout your session by doing a short set between other exercises. Wendler recommends it in the 5/3/1 book as an easy way to add more back work.

I agree with this guy. GSLP is better than SS imo. You can tweak it however you want as long as you have the core lifts.

TS, why don't you squat first?

The program doesn't call for it.The author says that the squat workout with the AMRAP set at the end cooks novice trainees, leaving them fatigued and unable to do their presses to the best of their ability. Pretty much the opposite of what Rip says.

Back