How does prime Rory Mac do against these fighters?

Rory's problem is that he's just well rounded. That means against grapplers that have decent enough striking to not get finished on the feet, he's fucked because he can't keep the fight standing at range. Usman and Colby grapple fuck him. He beats Masvidal via TKO with his aggressive GNP. Decisions Leon. Don't know about Burns.

Rory was really good at one point. Beat maia and woodley decisively when they were both actually hungry. I think he def beats mas. The rest are veery competitive.

Hendricks arguably hit harder than Woodley and had far better combinations, pressure and conditioning.
I don't think there is any question prime Hendricks hit harder than Woodley. Who says otherwise besides Woodley?

Rory is probably my all time favourite fighter. Right there with BJ Penn. Hes so well rounded everywhere. Striking, Cardio, Heart, Grappling, Footwork, IQ etc... So how does prime Rory Mac (lets say 2014/2015 or so), do against the following 2020 fighters?

-Jorge Masvidal
-Colby Covington
-Gilbert Burns
-Leon Edwards
-Kamaru Usman

So essentially todays top 5. Does he finish any of these guys? Do any of them finish him?
Aside from Masvidal, none of them are a knock out threat, so I think he beats them all with distance management. Probably beats Mas on the ground.

Prime Rory beats Masvidal and Edwards.
Vs Burns is a toss up.
Loses to Usman and Colby.

Rory's problem is that he's just well rounded. That means against grapplers that have decent enough striking to not get finished on the feet, he's fucked because he can't keep the fight standing at range. Usman and Colby grapple fuck him. He beats Masvidal via TKO with his aggressive GNP. Decisions Leon. Don't know about Burns.
This right here.

Rory is probably my all time favourite fighter. Right there with BJ Penn. Hes so well rounded everywhere. Striking, Cardio, Heart, Grappling, Footwork, IQ etc... So how does prime Rory Mac (lets say 2014/2015 or so), do against the following 2020 fighters?

-Jorge Masvidal
-Colby Covington
-Gilbert Burns
-Leon Edwards
-Kamaru Usman

So essentially todays top 5. Does he finish any of these guys? Do any of them finish him?

Mas beats him, he has even better TDD than Lawler and is a far better striker. Rory is an awful matchup for Covington so takes that fight handily, Burns beats him by decision, Usman is a close one and a Leon Edwards fight would put the audience to sleep.

-Jorge Masvidal
-Colby Covington
-Gilbert Burns
-Leon Edwards
-Kamaru Usman

Let's do this right prime vs prime

Usman - loss
Lima- loss
Masvidal- win
Colby - 50-50 ...
Burns - win
Edwards- win ( I think)

You also have my sympathies for Rory having such a fat mouth and couldn't leave well enough alone as my boy " ended" your boy. Rory, being a tough ass mofo fighter, shouldve had the wherewithal to understand if he had busted his eye socket 45 seconds into a fight agsinst anyone , Rory wouldve quit before the round ended.

I'm just saying......

At the end of the day, Rory one of the better fighters not to win UFC title but had his chances .... and was the betting favorite going in. I'd be remiss in not bringing that to the forefront.

If I was a rory backer , I'd wish I can go back to the beginning and take a little off the impressive gamut he ran . Just too much for a guy his age and - absolutely- had its effect down the road.

No way Rory keeps Masvidal grounded

-Jorge Masvidal
Could look like Rory vs Lawlor, probably looks like Jorge vs Usman​

-Colby Covington
Rory jabs him to death. Colby's work rate doesn't wear out Rory. If Colby can take him down then it's probably his fight.
-Gilbert Burns
This one is interesting. I genuinly have no idea because both guys are good everywhere, but my guess is Rory uses his size and his jab to control and bully out a win. Gilbert has the power in his hands to bust Rory up and make it ugly.​

-Leon Edwards
This looks like the Colby match up but easier.​

-Kamaru Usman
Usman drives him into the fence and controls him. He gets TDs and batters him for 5 rounds.​

-Jorge Masvidal
-Colby Covington
-Gilbert Burns
-Leon Edwards
-Kamaru Usman

I don't know if this was before his technically before his prime or what, but I'll always have a certain special respect for Rory. The very first MMA fight I ever watched was the undercard bout between him and Nate Diaz at UFC 129, where he took Nate to motherfucking Suplex City and Nate had no answer to it (resulting in 30-26 scorecards).

All of these have the potential to be very interesting fights. Even the Edwards once is stylistically intriguing even if it won't be a barn-burner simply because both guys are so well-rounded.

Lawler broke him...

U0MMNJI.gif

Rory fight Lawler like a man. Other UFC fighters took him down and did nothing, running the clock and getting the decision.

KO loss
50-45 loss
KO loss
50-45 loss
50-45 loss with several broken toes.

Rory fight Lawler like a man. Other UFC fighters took him down and did nothing, running the clock and getting the decision.
Yeah taking a life changing beating is fighting like a man. And losing. Lol. Fighting like a man is winning and taking no damage. See Khabib.

Personally I think Prime Rory beats them all. He was well rounded and dangerous everywhere. It's a shame that the wars he had destroyed his body and we never got to see him full potential. Too bad we never really got to see "Prime Rory" as his body broke down even as his skills continued to improve

Back