How does Khabib cut the distance?

Khabib just keeps shooting even if he gets stuffed. His game is relentless pressure.

Even if he shoots a swing single and gets stuffed it will probably be enough to get Conor off balance and force a scramble, clinch up against the fence, trip. So many different tools he has to take Conor down.
He had Al on his back for the entire first round because of that single. That happens to Conor and? <6>
Wow community college wrestler al, very impressive

It is going to be Holly Holm vs Ronda Rousey once again. Conor is on whole another level at striking and he is going to avoid takedowns with counter strikes & footwork.

Though I don’t guarantee this and actually want Khabib to win despite betting my friend that Conor would, I do think everyone is forgetting how good Conor is at reading an opponent’s intentions. As long as he’s fresh (1.5 rounds) he is supremely dangerous and in my opinion, people avoid discussing just how slow Khabib is overall which does determine the effectiveness of his takedowns, particularly from striking range.

Shoot way out of range just to get a hold of him with the next move, be it an ankle or half a clinch.

It is going to be Holly Holm vs Ronda Rousey once again. Conor is on whole another level at striking and he is going to avoid takedowns with counter strikes & footwork.
So Khabib’s takedowns are on par with Ronda?

What does he have that Alvarez doesn't?

If he can't do it he's going to sleep inside 2.
He's primarily a wrestler. Alvarez is a brawler that pretends to be a wrestler. Alvarez is an ok wrestler. All of his fights he brawls like it's a bar fight.

If Khabib gets a good hold of Conman, I hope once he tires him down he throws him around a little. Do what he did to Abel Trujillo.

Conor is not some wizard TDD guy.

He's awesome with his striking, but he can be taken down.

Khabib can grab a single leg, or even an ankle, and transition from there.

This fight is a pick-em imo. Either guy can win, given their strengths, and the others weaknesses.
If Conor really hates him, is there any chance he just knees Khabib in the head illegally when he goes down reaching for that single leg takedown. Knock him senseless, take the DQ, cash the check, and head back home. It’s a possibility...

You realize Khabib is statistically one of the least hit fighters in the UFC? He's actually in the top 10.

You realise that Conor is objectively one of the most pinpoint strikers in the UFC?

I dont know who wins but to count either out is foolish. Khabib can maul or Conor can KO/TKO, we will find out which one in about a month

It's like GSP says, anyone can win on any given night, but Khabib has more ways to win and a longer timeframe to do so, therefore it's statistically probable that he will win.

I actually thing it all depends on how Khabib reacts to Conor's left.

Because there's no way he's going to not get hit by it.

So what happens when he gets hit by it? Does it change him? If so he's fucked. If not, Conor will tap.

Sure, Conor can win. Only an idiot would deny that, but like GSP said, there is just a statistically higher probability that Khabib will win as he has many more ways to do it, and a larger time window to do it (Conor has two rounds tops) and from GSP's vast experience he knows guys with comprehensive, high-level grappling and wrestling generally eat one-punch-hopers for breakfast.
Sure, but calling Conor a one punch hoper is pretty far off. Khabib really looks impressive, but I am not sure he can survive 5 rds starting on the feet. I have betted against Conor in all his fights. This time I will not.

GSP favours the wrestler 9/10 times. He is not always right.

Closing the distance is not as hard as you all are making it out to be. For two strikers going at it yeah, but for someone like Khabib who only has to clinch with you for you to be fucked, it's not complicated even against someone like Conor.

Hell, Khabib could literally just run at Conor with his head down away where Conor can't hit him until he grabs a hold of him and that would be enough to close the distance to initiate a clinch. I'm not saying that's the smartest idea but that could easily work.

Alverez is an idiot. Don't use him as an example.

Conors going to knock his head clean of his shoulders, all the way back to Dagiland.

Alvarez made half assed non committed attempts at take downs.

Conor is not some wizard TDD guy.

He's awesome with his striking, but he can be taken down.

Khabib can grab a single leg, or even an ankle, and transition from there.

This fight is a pick-em imo. Either guy can win, given their strengths, and the others weaknesses.
This! So fucking tired of people acting like Conor is so much better at TDD than Khabib's other opponents. The guy got taken down twice by Nate fucking Diaz. There is literally nothing about Conor that makes me believe he will be any different from Khabib's other opponents when it comes to TDD.
If Khabib is motivated and determined to get Conor to the ground and not fucking around during the fight, Conor will go down. If the only hope is a punch coming in as Khabib is shooting than I like Khabib's chances. Khabib is not some undersized midget wrestler that Conor is used too.

Closing the distance is not as hard as you all are making it out to be. For two strikers going at it yeah, but for someone like Khabib who only has to clinch with you for you to be fucked, it's not complicated even against someone like Conor.

Hell, Khabib could literally just run at Conor with his head down away where Conor can't hit him until he grabs a hold of him and that would be enough to close the distance to initiate a clinch. I'm not saying that's the smartest idea but that could easily work.

Alverez is an idiot. Don't use him as an example.
Yeah, I feel like the Alvarez fight has people thinking Conor is some magician that people can't close the distance on.

These people should try watching more of his fights and fights in general. Avoiding wrestling in grappling is virtually impossible unless two guys are both willing to stand and bang.

Back