How does Holloway even beat Gaethje?

Gaethje doesn't have the best gas tank and has been worn down and broken before. Max has broken many fighters before.

Max is pretty pillow fisted and Gaethje has a good chin. Gaethje hits hard, but Max has a goat chin. Don't see it going to the ground; so no submissions. I see this going the distance, so Max could out point him I guess.

Don't know if Max can emulate an Oliveira style.
But if he can make Gaethje miss the calf kick and counter with straights (like Charles did) I can see him dropping Gaethje, he have the chin to absorb some punches, but I dont think is a wise choice rely on his Chin against Gaethje.

Honestly, they look like very similar fighters in my opinion. I think Max may even have a slight reach advantage. If the Max Holloway who beatdown Ortega shows up, Gaethje may be in a bit of trouble as Max knows how to box pretty well himself. He could catch Gaethje with a counter, things could go south and he could win a decision.

655ceef99392d.jpeg

Maybe by using the ole piñata strategy?
Absorb everything until he's gassed AF,

It's a hard fight but Justin isn't really a tough puzzle to figure out.

LW is not a good idea for Max.

Pretty much, Gaethje is not a good idea for anyone.
I guess a few people can do Gaethje, but it's never been free.

If I was Max and I wanted to fight up against a top 15, I'd pick Beneil or Hooker.

Volume, pace and durability. Still that’s a tall task here. But that’s likely how he does it. Other option is if he’s carrying some power @155lb and better prepared for it than last time around. Wasn’t his last fight more short notice?

The Jab. Max has a pretty good one. If he can keep the pressure high and justin backing up pumping that Jab. Max's gas tank is definitely superior to Justin's. Pressuring the guy backwards also takes away the leg kick opportunities. If Max can use that pressure to force purely a boxing match it opens up areas for him to get ahead. If Justin gets to set range, get his kicks involved, can get his power shots lined up, and is allowed to manage his own gas tank instead of having max push on it it favors Justin. Max's leg kick defense game is much improved. So I actually am definitely looking forward to this scrap.

Honestly, they look like very similar fighters in my opinion. I think Max may even have a slight reach advantage. If the Max Holloway who beatdown Ortega shows up, Gaethje may be in a bit of trouble as Max knows how to box pretty well himself. He could catch Gaethje with a counter, things could go south and he could win a decision.

655ceef99392d.jpeg

Gaethje 70, Holloway 69
Gaethje's arm is more bend or he has broader shoulders.

Def picking him either way. Can't miss it tho
I agree, i just give Max a better chance in a 5 rounder because Gaetje's gas tank can flag sometimes if he is sucked into a very high paced fight. If Max tries to fight him measured and smart, he is toast.

Holloway is my favourite fighter. I'm excited for this fight. Rather this than Emmett or another run at 45. This is weird and cool. But...Gaethje is a deadly matchup.
Gaethje's leg kicks will be a problem
The power will be a problem
The volume will be a problem
His counters will be a problem
His clinch strikes problematic
No range is safe with this guy.
His striking cardio holds up
What can max do to win? Apart from some weird counter punch TKO scenario, like
Max doesn't have knockout power like that.
He has good kicks but hasn't used them to great effect.
Sure that elbow he got kattar was nice but idk
The flurries and combos can be disrupted by Gaethje power shots.
Ironically the only area where max has a clear cut advantage is on the floor. Gaethje would not survive his top game if max stunned and knocked him down. Otherwise, this fight could turn ugly. Change my mind.
By face punching.

Max is gonna have to drown Gaethje with volume and will need to stay stupidly defensively responsible, while at the same time not letting Justin have a chance to do much in return. This is a tall order man

Max has a granite chin, high workrate, and clean striking in his favor. I don't know that it will be enough, but it matches against Gaethje's style in some interesting ways.

Gaethje puts guys away with his incredibly powerful strikes, but Max has never even been dropped as far as I know. He may hold up pretty well against that power. Gaethje is very hittable and Max will be happy to oblige him with a huge volume of precise strikes.

I'm not picking Max, because I haven't seen him answer any of the questions that Dustin posed and I think some of that will be worse with Geathje... but I think there's a path to victory for Max.

Back