How does 1080p blu ray look on 4K tv's?

1080p blu-ray looks excellent on my LG 4k OLED and with Super resolution with settings set to low it looks even better.

Hmm i nterresting. Can you e!aborate on th e super resolution set to low? Is that like one of those artifical sharpening things that does more harm than good?

Man will manufacturers learn. I dont need all your *bells and whistles* ?

The best displa y is onr t hat just shows th e raw picture as close as possi ble

I miss my old 50" 1080p plasma Samsung.. nothing has beaten it, even by todays standards.. my new 50"LED is shite compared..

Plasma was fucking awesome.

Either you bought a shitty TV or settings are all wrong. 4k HDR content (like DolbyVision on Netflix) looks insane and better than any Plasma TV ever, even Pioneer Kuro

Hmm i nterresting. Can you e!aborate on th e super resolution set to low? Is that like one of those artifical sharpening things that does more harm than good?

Man will manufacturers learn. I dont need all your *bells and whistles* ?

The best displa y is onr t hat just shows th e raw picture as close as possi ble

Super resolution is not just sharpening. It's more like resolution interpolation. If you have 4K TV and you are playing full blu-ray 1080p, super resolution will fill the screen of those extra available pixels, it will repeat information from adjacent pixels. Super Resolution takes from many of the pixels to fill in finer details. And in practice for me for 1080p full blu-ray it works great, but only set to low settings and it still looks natural. Everything else i have off (edge enhancer, dynamic contrast, trumotion, sharpness set to zero), i only found SR good. On medium settings, it does harm, on low it looked even better than off and still raw natural, but sharpness set to 0 and edge enchancer off. That was the best for me. I was experimenting what my eyes liked the most and i always look to be as natural as possible.

Last edited:
Either you bought a shitty TV or settings are all wrong. 4k HDR content (like DolbyVision on Netflix) looks insane and better than any Plasma TV ever, even Pioneer Kuro

No both tvs were 1080p ..

I haven't gone 4k .. Not sure its worth it yet, seen a few in action and im not impressed enough to make the investment. All the movies i have are 1080 or 720 .. So no point really.

But my plasma definitely had a better picture than a newer led .. 100%

No both tvs were 1080p ..

I haven't gone 4k .. Not sure its worth it yet, seen a few in action and im not impressed enough to make the investment. All the movies i have are 1080 or 720 .. So no point really.

But my plasma definitely had a better picture than a newer led .. 100%

Yeah if you bought a new TV and it´s only 1080 it´s definently shit tier.

I hate running anything but native resolution if possible. It was nice when 1080p blu rays matched up perfectly with 1080p tv's.

I need/want to get a new TV and went to Best Buy, thinking about getting a good 55" 1080p for the bedroom. They dont even make them anymore I guess. Literally every tv over 40" was 4k.

So comparing a 50" 1080p TV to a 55" inch 4K tv will the blu rays worse on the 4k? I dont plan on buying 4K discs anytime soon either, so ill just be watching my 1080p blu rays on it.

I was thinking, since 4K is literally double 1080p in each direction, vertically and horizontally - it should be a pretty clean upscale right? It just needs to double up each pixel. And since the 4k pixels are half the size, it really should be not much different looking than if it were on a 1080p tv

All your discs will upconvert to the next level on a 4K TV. Of course, I should state that I'm finding this to be the case while using a 4K UHD Blu-ray player along with my 4K OLED television. But, yeah, DVDs are upscaled to near Blu-ray quality & Blu-rays look bloody awesome. However, nothing equals or beats a 4K UHD disc, of course.

Also in the market for a new TV and finding the same.

What's the go with things like refresh rate / hertz etc? 99% of what I watch is MMA and motorsport so smooth motion is most important to me, even more so than outright picture quality.

All your discs will upconvert to the next level on a 4K TV. Of course, I should state that I'm finding this to be the case while using a 4K UHD Blu-ray player along with my 4K OLED television. But, yeah, DVDs are upscaled to near Blu-ray quality & Blu-rays look bloody awesome. However, nothing equals or beats a 4K UHD disc, of course.

Which 4K player do you have?

And have you had a regular blu ray player hooked up to your 4K tv to see if the 4K player upscaling really does make a difference over just the 4K tv itself scaling?

And have you had a regular blu ray player hooked up to your 4K tv to see if the 4K player upscaling really does make a difference over just the 4K tv itself scaling?

Just about all TV is 1080 and looks fine on 4ks.

I would guess that a good 4K player(Panasonic have a good rep at the moment) would actually be a decent investment if you buy a cheap 4K TV in which the upscaling might not be as good.

The appeal of UHD disk might I spose depend on your viewing habits, personally I find that whilst I watch a pretty wide variety of films there are a few I'll come back to fairly regularly which makes rebuying in UHD worth it, so far stuff like Alien, Blade Runner, The Shining, Angel Heart, Don't Look Now, The Big Lebowski, etc. Good quality horror especially seems like something UHD is focused a lot on so far, I spose because theres both a decent market for it and HDR especially tends to suit the material.

I've got an LG model.
And, no, sorry. I haven't hooked up a regular Blu-ray player to my television. But I've heard from others that the 4K TVs do a good job of upconversion on their own. Using a 4K UHD player helps a bit more, of course, but it isn't necessary.

I would guess that a good 4K player(Panasonic have a good rep at the moment) would actually be a decent investment if you buy a cheap 4K TV in which the upscaling might not be as good.

The appeal of UHD disk might I spose depend on your viewing habits, personally I find that whilst I watch a pretty wide variety of films there are a few I'll come back to fairly regularly which makes rebuying in UHD worth it, so far stuff like Alien, Blade Runner, The Shining, Angel Heart, Don't Look Now, The Big Lebowski, etc. Good quality horror especially seems like something UHD is focused a lot on so far, I spose because theres both a decent market for it and HDR especially tends to suit the material.
Absolutely on all counts.
Horror is my favorite genre & the focus of much of my Blu-ray & 4K UHD disc collections.

I’m saving up for a 3D tv. Heard they are all the rage nowadays. I like to be ahead of the curve.

Absolutely on all counts.
Horror is my favorite genre & the focus of much of my Blu-ray & 4K UHD disc collections.

Horror does seem to be the genre that's holding up best on physical media, with lables like Arrow it probably makes up half their releases or more.

Generally you are going to have a stronger appeal for more visually focused cinema including a lot of the high end horror of the 70's and 80's but perhaps also its a genre were a greater feeling of reality helps to sell a sense of danger.

Horror does seem to be the genre that's holding up best on physical media, with lables like Arrow it probably makes up half their releases or more.

Generally you are going to have a stronger appeal for more visually focused cinema including a lot of the high end horror of the 70's and 80's but perhaps also its a genre were a greater feeling of reality helps to sell a sense of danger.

Yep, I'm beginning to accumulate quite a collection of discs from Arrow Video, Scream Factory & Synapse. All of whom do a terrific job with their genre releases.

Yep, I'm beginning to accumulate quite a collection of discs from Arrow Video, Scream Factory & Synapse. All of whom do a terrific job with their genre releases.

I'd guess it depends quite a bit on the kind of horror culture that was always strongly linked to physical media from VHS rentals onwards and indeed the interest is often about that culture so people like to have the extras detailing it, less luvie fest(that generally doesn't tell you much beyond what was onscreen anyway) more Rob Bottin like "how I made that exploding head" details.

When it comes to HD releases quality as well its not really uniform, a lot of earlier BR releases tended to use the same scan source as previous DVD's which was generally done at HD but often not amazingly well because it was going to be downscaled. In more recent years a lot of BR releases come from downscaled 2k or 4k sources downscaled to HD and these tend to look a lot better and hold up better on a 4K display.

The jump from a badly done BR to a well done one can be as significant as from BR to UHD BR, sometimes moreso.

I have a 65" LG OLED 4K and I use my Xbox One X to play UHD 4K Blu-rays and they look great. Luckily there is a Family Video (The last video rental chain in the U.S.) in my town that rents UHD 4K Blu-rays. They are only $1 for five nights for nearly new and $2.00 for five nights for the new releases.

I have a 65" LG OLED 4K and I use my Xbox One X to play UHD 4K Blu-rays and they look great. Luckily there is a Family Video (The last video rental chain in the U.S.) in my town that rents UHD 4K Blu-rays. They are only $1 for five nights for nearly new and $2.00 for five nights for the new releases.

I wonder whether UHD might actually be a bit of a lifeline to the rental market, the disks being quite expensive still and the quality being notably better than streaming(which has to have much lower bitrates to keep files sizable manageable).

Something I'd definitely consider if the option was there for me locally.

Back