How does 1080p blu ray look on 4K tv's?

Plasma TV's are like 1024x726 right? Thought they use an oddball resolution too. They look great though. Heavy as hell.

Some were, some were full HD.

Main advantage back in the day was the blacks were much darker than LCD, part of the reason I waited until OLED of a decent size/quality came into my price range(LG B9) as that gives even better blacks.

Just the resolution won't tell you everything about the quality of something though, that's going to depend on how it was filmed, how good the scan/trafer is and what the bitrate its like of the disk/stream. Some DVD's I have look better than some BR's and some BR's look much better than others, recent BR releases from 4K scans especially can be very nice, having the full 4K is better but its not night and day resolution wise, probably the biggest difference is HDR.

Streaming is generally going to have a lower bit rate than disks, a UHD disk can have up to 100 gig of info on it.

Lol, a 4k TV can display something at 1080 exactly the same as a 1080 display would

I miss my old 50" 1080p plasma Samsung.. nothing has beaten it, even by todays standards.. my new 50"LED is shite compared..

Plasma was fucking awesome.

Does Bluray 1080p on a 4k tv look better than Stream 4k on a 4ktv?......Stream 4k is compressed like a mofo, Im guessing it looks worst.

Does Bluray 1080p on a 4k tv look better than Stream 4k on a 4ktv?......Stream 4k is compressed like a mofo, Im guessing it looks worst.

4K streaming will look better in most situations but the streaming can fall apart more in tricky situations that impact compressed sources like busy sequences.

Plasma TV's are like 1024x726 right? Thought they use an oddball resolution too. They look great though. Heavy as hell.

the last Plasmas made were 1080p. they were fairly thin and much lighter as well.

I still have a 720p plasma in the basement that I used until OLED became available and reasonably priced 2yrs ago.

I miss my old 50" 1080p plasma Samsung.. nothing has beaten it, even by todays standards.. my new 50"LED is shite compared..

Plasma was fucking awesome.
You should check out oled TVs they are ridiculous

So comparing a 50" 1080p TV to a 55" inch 4K tv will the blu rays worse on the 4k? I dont plan on buying 4K discs anytime soon either, so ill just be watching my 1080p blu rays on it.

I was thinking, since 4K is literally double 1080p in each direction, vertically and horizontally - it should be a pretty clean upscale right? It just needs to double up each pixel. And since the 4k pixels are half the size, it really should be not much different looking than if it were on a 1080p tv

It will scale fine. Unless your spending decent money on the new TV your far better off picking up a decent plasma from craigslist/ebay which is a far better picture and might be much cheaper depending on the set.

I have a 4k TV XBR-55700D paired with a UBP-x800. Blu rays
look great. 4K discs looks damn good.
I cant imagine how good a 4k disc looks like on a OLED. Thats what I really wanted at the time, but had to settle for something much less.
Good luck convincing spouse to get a 2,000$plus TV.

4K blurays, no thanks. I built up a collection of over 100 standard blurays and now I'm supposed to start over like some schlub. All I know is that 1080p bluray on my 150in screen looks 10x better than AMC or Regal screens and that is plenty good for me.

As for the original question, the premium 4K tvs will upscale the 1080p quite well. By premium I mean the $2000+ sets.

Lol, a 4k TV can display something at 1080 exactly the same as a 1080 display would
Not really. It will upscale to to 4K. It won't look as good as native 4K, but better than 1080P.

I rarely watch physical media these days, but last night I watched my Blu-Ray of Collateral on my 4K TV for the first time. This was the first movie to be shot digitally and not sure if I never noticed this before or if its because if the TV, but I could really tell where they used the digital camera and where they shot on regular film. For scenes with the actors it looked like a regular movie, but scenery shots looked like they were shot with someone's home video camera. Thise scenery shots were weirdly clear.

Not really. It will upscale to to 4K. It won't look as good as native 4K, but better than 1080P.

I rarely watch physical media these days, but last night I watched my Blu-Ray of Collateral on my 4K TV for the first time. This was the first movie to be shot digitally and not sure if I never noticed this before or if its because if the TV, but I could really tell where they used the digital camera and where they shot on regular film. For scenes with the actors it looked like a regular movie, but scenery shots looked like they were shot with someone's home video camera. Thise scenery shots were weirdly clear.
That depends on a few things. If the tv has that feature, how good the tv is at doing it, and what the source is. But yeah it does work that way a lot. I was more commenting because of the “native resolution” thing he was worried about, since a 4k tv can display 1080

1080p blu-ray looks excellent on my LG 4k OLED and with Super resolution with settings set to low it looks even better.

I cant wait for 10k TV
At some point, you will need a super high powered computer to display all that data for each frame multiplied by whatever 120+ frames per second and need a much fatter cable TV bandwidth. Maybe they'll get rid of religious channels to free up more bandwidth.

They look great. 1080p x 2 = 2160p. It up converts perfectly and due to the upscaling, it will look better than it would on a 1080p TV.

Back