How does 1080p blu ray look on 4K tv's?

Drain Bamage

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I hate running anything but native resolution if possible. It was nice when 1080p blu rays matched up perfectly with 1080p tv's.

I need/want to get a new TV and went to Best Buy, thinking about getting a good 55" 1080p for the bedroom. They dont even make them anymore I guess. Literally every tv over 40" was 4k.

So comparing a 50" 1080p TV to a 55" inch 4K tv will the blu rays worse on the 4k? I dont plan on buying 4K discs anytime soon either, so ill just be watching my 1080p blu rays on it.

I was thinking, since 4K is literally double 1080p in each direction, vertically and horizontally - it should be a pretty clean upscale right? It just needs to double up each pixel. And since the 4k pixels are half the size, it really should be not much different looking than if it were on a 1080p tv

How I imagine TS.

anigif_sub-buzz-13694-1498475025-9.gif

Remember DLP TVs? The add was for 1000 tiny little mirrors. Yea not so much. I had a spider get inside of it and weave a fucking web. I had to open it up to clean it out.

Not impressive.

Oh and I'm sure it will look just fine.

Remember DLP TVs? The add was for 1000 tiny little mirrors. Yea not so much. I had a spider get inside of it and weave a fucking web. I had to open it up to clean it out.

Not impressive.

Oh and I'm sure it will work just fine.

I do remember DLP damn... its crazy how fast this tech changes. Those were 720p only right

4K isn't going to make anything look worse in itself, if the TV is a lot bigger you might notice a lack of resolution.

Finally went from a 42 inch plasma to a 55 inch OLED a few weeks ago(viewed from around 6-8 feet away) and I'v found good HD stuff still looks fine it, indeed good DVD's still look fine as well. Not AS good as UHD stuff but they certainly don't look any worse, probably a good deal better.

Y u booly me?

Just a little jab, bud. Just like my mom used to tell me when I was little: "You'll get square eyes from watching too much TV!!" Seems you watch A LOT of movies. You make a lot of TV/movie related threads.

4K isn't going to make anything look worse in itself, if the TV is a lot bigger you might notice a lack of resolution.

Finally went from a 42 inch plasma to a 55 inch OLED a few weeks ago(viewed from around 6-8 feet away) and I'v found good HD stuff still looks fine it, indeed good DVD's still look fine as well. Not AS good as UHD stuff but they certainly don't look any worse, probably a good deal better.

Plasma TV's are like 1024x726 right? Thought they use an oddball resolution too. They look great though. Heavy as hell.

Just a little jab, bud. Just like my mom used to tell me when I was little: "You'll get square eyes from watching too much TV!!" Seems you watch A LOT of movies. You make a lot of TV/movie related threads.

Yeah man. I sure do. I'm in my mid 30's and I like to take it easy. I grew up in a family that loved movies.

When I was 25, I lived in a warehouse that was repurposed as a rehearsal studio for bands and did drugs and played music all day with other musicians and worked at a guitar shop to pay my share of the fee. That has to end at some point though. I don't want to be that guy in his mid 30's still trying to party like he's in college. I pretty much watch movies, play games, and make little music demos in my free time. And post here.

Yeah man. I sure do. I'm in my mid 30's and I like to take it easy. I grew up in a family that loved movies.

When I was 25, I lived in a warehouse that was repurposed as a rehearsal studio for bands and did drugs and played music all day with other musicians and worked at a guitar shop to pay my share of the fee. That has to end at some point though. I don't want to be that guy in his mid 30's still trying to party like he's in college.
vs mid 30's and posting on Sherdog at 3am? Wait...

When I was 25, I lived in a warehouse that was repurposed as a rehearsal studio for bands and did drugs and played music all day with other musicians and worked at a guitar shop to pay my share of the fee. That has to end at some point though. I don't want to be that guy in his mid 30's still trying to party like he's in college. I pretty much watch movies, play games, and make little music demos in my free time. And post here.

Nothing wrong with that, bud. If you're happy with it, I am too. I'm in my mid thirties too, and I have left the heavy partying and most drugs behind me too.

It'll look like it's on a 1080 tv.

your 4K tv will magically upgrade all lower quality formats to 4K

I cant wait for 10k TV

Back